I know this is probably a stupid question, but since it is Virgin ( I think) that uses Sprints network will it be possible to get an unlocked phone and set the SIM up for Virgin mobile on Sprint? Not sure I would want to do this for various reason...but was curious.

Thanks
    HD
    10-13-2011 04:54 PM
    No.

Virgin, like Sprint, is a CDMA network. CDMA phones are ESN locked, meaning you can't take one that is destined for one network, and activate it onto another.
    10-13-2011 05:24 PM
    No, at mentioned even though the phone is technically capable they won't allow it on the network. Just like there was nothing technically preventing the Verizon iPhone from working on sprint, they just wouldn't allow it. Also keep in mind with virgin you get no roaming so you only have native sprint coverage.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    10-13-2011 05:32 PM
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but since it is Virgin ( I think) that uses Sprints network will it be possible to get an unlocked phone and set the SIM up for Virgin mobile on Sprint? Not sure I would want to do this for various reason...but was curious.

Thanks
    HD
    The only prepaid network that the iPhone 4S is allowed to run on is T-Mobile's. Through T-Mobile or Simple Mobile, you can use the iPhone 4S. I've heard of some people being able to use it with a GoPhone SIM on AT&T, but my experience has been that it doesn't work. In fact, most smartphones I've tried don't seem to work with GoPhone SIMs...
    10-13-2011 05:38 PM
    Virgin Mobile is an MVNO operating on Sprint's network. Like others have said, you'll only get native Sprint coverage, no roaming.

Furthermore, Virgin Mobile will not activate a device that is not Virgin Mobile branded. They have a no BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy.

The only prepaid network that the iPhone 4S is allowed to run on is T-Mobile's. Through T-Mobile or Simple Mobile, you can use the iPhone 4S. I've heard of some people being able to use it with a GoPhone SIM on AT&T, but my experience has been that it doesn't work. In fact, most smartphones I've tried don't seem to work with GoPhone SIMs...
    Actually, some people are using the iPhone on H2O wireless or RedPocketMobile. Both are a MVNOs operating on the AT&T network.

There's also Straight Talk, also on the AT&T network, but this one is slightly more complicated.
    10-13-2011 06:02 PM
    Thanks for all the response...

To do this you need to jailbreak, correct?
    10-14-2011 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD