If I buy a blackberry for verizon that requires a data plan. Can I then get a dumbphone (from ebay), and have them switch my account to the dumbphone, and remove the data plan? Of course I will still be obligated to the 2 year contract, but my main question is can I dump the data plan and switch the phone.

Basically, I want to get a phone for my parents who don't even know what a smartphone is. I can get a blackberry bold for free and sell it on ebay for $400. So I am thinking to get the blackberry, and buy them a dumbphone for $50, and sell the blackberry for $400.
    Last edited by george99; 10-13-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    10-13-2011 12:19 PM
    I could be wrong, but i think when you switch to a 'dumbphone' it will drop the data plan..

Sadly, I know from first hand..I've had numerous Droids..And one time i had to switch to my gf's old 'dumbphone' and it dropped the data plan..because i had to GO to Verizon and have them add it back on when i got my referbed phone.

But don't take my word on it.
    10-18-2011 06:42 PM
    If I buy a blackberry for verizon that requires a data plan. Can I then get a dumbphone (from ebay), and have them switch my account to the dumbphone, and remove the data plan? Of course I will still be obligated to the 2 year contract, but my main question is can I dump the data plan and switch the phone.

Basically, I want to get a phone for my parents who don't even know what a smartphone is. I can get a blackberry bold for free and sell it on ebay for $400. So I am thinking to get the blackberry, and buy them a dumbphone for $50, and sell the blackberry for $400.
    I'm guessing that you'll run into a hefty early termination fee if you try to drop your data plan...basically when you get the BB for free, it's only "free" because you're agreeing to pay a certain amount of money each month for a certain plan. Change that, and suddenly your BB will not be free any more.

If it works out though, let us know!
    10-18-2011 06:58 PM
    Yes u can do it the term free applys on when canceling the service .. Not just data if you switch to a dumb phone it will remove your data plan .. Remember data is a feature on a plan not a actual individual plan .. You will prob pay a pro ration and what not depending when u drop the data but after that point you will be good to go with your basic phone. .. You get the phone for free because u signed a 2 year contract for service that really has nothing to do with data .. Now if you canceled service after u got the phone then they will hit u with a 350 term fee so your "free" phone is not really free
    10-18-2011 07:06 PM
    You will prob pay a pro ration and what not depending when u drop the data
    Exactly...basically it sounds like he's asking "Can I get this BlackBerry for free, sell it for $400, and only pay for a basic plan?" And I think the answer to that is no. He can get the BB for free and sell it for $400, but I doubt they'd then allow him to cut his bill in half.
    10-18-2011 07:22 PM
    Yes, You can.
    10-18-2011 10:33 PM
    Exactly...basically it sounds like he's asking "Can I get this BlackBerry for free, sell it for $400, and only pay for a basic plan?" And I think the answer to that is no. He can get the BB for free and sell it for $400, but I doubt they'd then allow him to cut his bill in half.
    It's not a basic plan with Verizon u pay for your plan voice and text or what not .. If u have a "smart phone " you have to get data that is added per line 30 dollars
    . So say I go get a blackberry and my cycle starts on the 1st of every month my first bill will be my plan and data from 18 to 1st and then one full month. ... Say on the 1st I drop my bb and break it (sell) whatever .. I bust out my razor flip phone cuz I dont got insurance lol once u change the device you will remove the data feature because it's. Not needed per your device and you will only pay data for when u had data the data feature .. If u add a "smart" phone back to that line they will make you add back on the 30 a month data feature.They don't care u that u got the phone that cuz not matter what you locked in service for 2 years with out a upgrade and if u cancel your service u will pay the termination fee that will make up the cost of the phone and for any Verizon smart phone that would be 350
    Just trying to clarify

Now on a side note the phones that are free do come with mail in rebates and some of those rebates require that phone to be active for atleast 30 or 60 days in order to get the rebate so u would have to wait that long paying for data to do anything

Hope this helps
    10-19-2011 04:07 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys, but it sounds like a mixed bag of answers.
    Basically, I want to get the blackberry for free, sell it for $400, and KEEP the verizon service and use it with a dumbphone that I bought used from ebay for $50, and NOT have the data plan. Basically I will pocket $350 from the deal.
    10-19-2011 09:46 AM
    As soon as you switch to a dumb phone you'll lose the data, but not the plan.
    10-19-2011 11:03 AM
    So if I call them to cancel the $30 data add-on, they won't let me?
    10-19-2011 11:32 AM
    They will let you. It's no problem.
    10-19-2011 01:45 PM
    I'm not sure how VZW handles these things, but AT&T often makes the data plan a condition for the "rebated" price of smart phones - I remember my wife's last BlackBerry was that way - to get the discounted ("rebated") price, she had to agree to carry the data plan for a fixed period - if I remember correctly, it was something like 6 months.
    10-19-2011 01:50 PM
    Even then, I could still make a few $$$ on this.
    10-19-2011 02:03 PM
    You can probably cancel the data but will then have to pay an etf since you're backing out of the contract you agreed to. The etf will likely be several hundred dollars.
    10-19-2011 02:18 PM
    I can't see them coming after you for the ETF, you're contract obligates you to the contract not the phone and plan. You should be able to activate your phone online as well when you get the dumb phone and put no data plan. I would think you'd be fine...but what do I know.
    10-19-2011 03:50 PM
    So if I call them to cancel the $30 data add-on, they won't let me?
    Yes they will your contract is for service. Not for data .. Ur not canceling the contract so they will not give you a etf ... You just won't have a upgrade for 2 years .. People buy a smart phone and break it all the time can't afford a new smart phone out if pocket so they use a old cheap one they have.

I even just asked my wife who works for vzw customer support only catch is if u completely cancel service u will pay a smart phone etf of 350 vs the 175 of a basic phone

So if you keeping service your fine
    10-19-2011 11:47 PM
    I'm guessing that you'll run into a hefty early termination fee if you try to drop your data plan.
    Nope. Data's a feature. Contracts are on the lines.

Again, data is a feature that can be added and removed. You're not subject to ETF if you drop data unless it's a rebate/subsidy term as stated in this thread. Read up or verify with Verizon before making such (repeated) assertions. Your doubt and Verizon policy are 2 different things and they're not in sync in this case.
    Last edited by briareus; 10-29-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    10-29-2011 11:51 PM
    Yes, like it was stated above, the data is only a feature...like texting. You can add or drop at your will. You will be responsible for the line, but if you add a "dumb" phone over your BB, than you can continue without an ETF. It's like if your smartphone were to break and you went back to a standard phone you had before. If you have unlimited data, you will lose it forever though.
    11-06-2011 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD