US government files to block proposed AT&T / T-Mobile merger - Engadget

Wow. Remember... T-Mobile gets a $3 Billion 'failure to consummate' fee if the deal does not go through...
    08-31-2011 11:02 AM
    Everyone knows that our govt knows what's best for us!
    08-31-2011 01:01 PM
    LOL, didn't see it coming ... JK Seriously though, AT&T has the money to get their network rolling with or without T-Mobile, I personally think competition is good, already pay a premium on at&t and that's with my 20% corporate discount, keep the competition I say.
    08-31-2011 01:05 PM
    Yep, but if tmo goes under (not saying they will) what's the difference? I'm only making assumptions based on the fact that it's sometimes what's behind a merger. I don't care because I'm with at&t anyway.

Thanks for the vent opportunity!
    08-31-2011 01:47 PM
    Yep, but if tmo goes under (not saying they will) what's the difference? I'm only making assumptions based on the fact that it's sometimes what's behind a merger.
    You raise a very interesting point. Deutsche Telekom has said that they are done funding the operations of T-Mobile... and without that funding, how long can they survive? I'm not saying that the merger should be approved - I've not done enough research to have an opinion on the subject... but if the merger is bad because of reduced competition, won't T-Mobile shutting down (apparently that could happen) be just as bad for the industry?

Related link
    08-31-2011 02:16 PM
    Great points brought up, but don't think that T-Mobile will be going under, plus there is always potential of a regional carrier gobbling them up with at&t doesn't get them.
    08-31-2011 02:23 PM
    won't T-Mobile shutting down (apparently that could happen) be just as bad for the industry?
    Exactly!! Again, speculation on my part. I just don't see the overall benefit of the govt stepping in. If they do go under, what has the intervention solved? Hey I know! If tmo IS in trouble, especially considering the $3B they owe if the deal goes south, maybe they can get a "bail-out"! :facepalm:
    08-31-2011 02:27 PM
    Hey I know! If tmo IS in trouble, especially considering the $3B they owe if the deal goes south, maybe they can get a "bail-out"! :facepalm:
    The $3b is what Tmo gets from AT&T if the deal goes round the bowl & out the hole...
    08-31-2011 03:04 PM
    The $3b is what Tmo gets from AT&T if the deal goes round the bowl & out the hole...
    Oh well THAT changes everything! Maybe the Feds don't like at&t?!
    08-31-2011 03:30 PM
    Oh well THAT changes everything! Maybe the Feds don't like at&t?!
    Funny you say that... DoJ targets AT&T: The story behind the story | RedState -- break out the tinfoil hats and conspiracy theories.
    08-31-2011 04:03 PM
    Funny you say that... DoJ targets AT&T: The story behind the story | RedState -- break out the tinfoil hats and conspiracy theories.
    ladies and gentlemen, enjoy your hope and change in the new culture of corruption.
    oh $hit. here we go
    08-31-2011 04:36 PM
    Didn't I mention that I'm psycho (((errr))) I mean psychic! LOL!
    kch50428 likes this.
    08-31-2011 04:43 PM
    I am for and against the merger all at the same time. Yes I would love huge, super rad, super fast, super reliable GSM network. No, I'm not looking forward to the competition going away. The competition forced the two to at least compete with each other on some level. But alas, it is bound to happen eventually anyway.
    08-31-2011 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD