US government files to block proposed AT&T / T-Mobile merger

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
LOL, didn't see it coming ... JK Seriously though, AT&T has the money to get their network rolling with or without T-Mobile, I personally think competition is good, already pay a premium on at&t and that's with my 20% corporate discount, keep the competition I say.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep, but if tmo goes under (not saying they will) what's the difference? I'm only making assumptions based on the fact that it's sometimes what's behind a merger. I don't care because I'm with at&t anyway.

Thanks for the vent opportunity! ;)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep, but if tmo goes under (not saying they will) what's the difference? I'm only making assumptions based on the fact that it's sometimes what's behind a merger.

You raise a very interesting point. Deutsche Telekom has said that they are done funding the operations of T-Mobile... and without that funding, how long can they survive? I'm not saying that the merger should be approved - I've not done enough research to have an opinion on the subject... but if the merger is bad because of reduced competition, won't T-Mobile shutting down (apparently that could happen) be just as bad for the industry?

Related link

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Great points brought up, but don't think that T-Mobile will be going under, plus there is always potential of a regional carrier gobbling them up with at&t doesn't get them.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
won't T-Mobile shutting down (apparently that could happen) be just as bad for the industry?

Exactly!! Again, speculation on my part. I just don't see the overall benefit of the govt stepping in. If they do go under, what has the intervention solved? Hey I know! If tmo IS in trouble, especially considering the $3B they owe if the deal goes south, maybe they can get a "bail-out"! :facepalm:

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am for and against the merger all at the same time. Yes I would love huge, super rad, super fast, super reliable GSM network. No, I'm not looking forward to the competition going away. The competition forced the two to at least compete with each other on some level. But alas, it is bound to happen eventually anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods