I think we all agree iPhones are better on GSM. I was wondering if anyone knew how Verizon is planning to compete with AT&T's iPhone 5 with theirs?
    07-31-2011 05:05 PM
    Where did you get the idea that iPhones are better on GSM?
    07-31-2011 06:34 PM
    Talk and surf and the fact that you can merge calls, even if you're not the original caller on a gsm iPhone
    07-31-2011 06:39 PM
    I think we all agree iPhones are better on GSM. I was wondering if anyone knew how Verizon is planning to compete with AT&T's iPhone 5 with theirs?
    Bold statement I am Verizon all the way I'm more pro Verizon than pro apple I love apple but no point if I got No signal gsm may have talk and surf and what not but so does Verizon's 4g and when iPhone is 4g what will att say then ? I say at most right now there comparable but at least where I live I laugh watching the people with att stand right next to me with barley a signal and they ask what about you ? Yup you guessed it full bars lol

On the flip side you can unlock gsm and use on diff carriers so that's a plus but Verizon 4g takes sim cards now too so makes you wonder you will prob be able to unlock versions also.
    07-31-2011 07:15 PM
    Bold statement I am Verizon all the way I'm more pro Verizon than pro apple I love apple but no point if I got No signal gsm may have talk and surf and what not but so does Verizon's 4g and when iPhone is 4g what will att say then ? I say at most right now there comparable but at least where I live I laugh watching the people with att stand right next to me with barley a signal and they ask what about you ? Yup you guessed it full bars lol

On the flip side you can unlock gsm and use on diff carriers so that's a plus but Verizon 4g takes sim cards now too so makes you wonder you will prob be able to unlock versions also.
    Isn't what you're saying about Verizon's iPhone 5 all speculation?
    07-31-2011 07:50 PM
    Really?! How is it going to compete? How about we start with a solid network? Obviously it can vary based on your location and preference, but as someone who went from a 3G to a 3GS to a 4 on AT&T, I couldn't have left fast enough. I have had the iPhone 4 on both networks and from my personal experience and where I travel there is no comparison.

To your question I pose another. How does AT&T currently compete with Verizon in the areas it sucks? Answer: the same way Verizon competes with AT&T in the areas they suck.

Just like those that have started this argument a million times on these and other forums, you have started an argument that can not be won as the answer is solely dependent on coverage in your area.

Once Verizon has an iPhone running on their LTE network and can play the simultaneous data and talk, what will the AT&T fanboys argue next?

I now leave this question/argument where it was when it started, pointless and un-winnable.

Shackelford out.
    07-31-2011 08:05 PM
    I think we all agree iPhones are better on GSM
    No, we don't.

The talk & surf argument is moot, because anyone who is a Verizon customer that truly has a need to talk and use data at the same time on the cellular network has a data solution that does not involve their phone. I've been there, done that.
    Last edited by kch50428; 07-31-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    07-31-2011 08:19 PM
    i live in New York, where all carriers have impecable service, so the service is not an issue for me. It's how the phones work. And if the service is not an issue and the iPhone 4 has more to offer on AT&T as the phone itself is concerned, it's just better in NY. Now, one might say 'just switch to AT&T', but that's not an option for me. I just wanna know what Verizon plans on doing to play on the same field with AT&T's iphone. Just the phone itself
    07-31-2011 08:25 PM
    I've used both VZW and at&t and in my area they are completely equal as far as coverage. Well, except in the elevators at work. Almost every VZW customer loses their call and I don't...

For me, at&t wins, not because of talk and surf, but because I get to use my unused minutes. Otherwise, it's 50/50 and an iPhone is an iPhone.
    Last edited by BrindawithanI; 07-31-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    DannyMichel and paul-c like this.
    07-31-2011 08:29 PM
    Well obviously everything he and everyone else are saying about the iphone 5 is just speculation because it hasn't been released yet... For all we know(the general public) apple might not even have started making it yet. We won't know anything for sure until it gets released.
    DannyMichel likes this.
    07-31-2011 08:31 PM
    I'm on AT&T and love both the iPhone and the AT&T service. My son and 2 daughters and one daughter-in-law have iPhones on VZW. They are very happy, too. The issue is "how's the provider's service where you use it" issue. Internally the phones are different, but functionally they are very similar. The biggest issue is concurrent voice/data on GSM. But that is not an issue to everyone. As with most things, YMMV.

All of that said, I agree with the others... you cannot make a blanket statement like "everyone knows it's better on GSM" stick, no matter how you spin it.
    07-31-2011 08:35 PM
    Internally the phones are different, but functionally they are very similar.
    No one can dispute that 'functionally', the GSM ones are better. if they are similar, but the GSMs do MORE, than it's just math
    07-31-2011 08:37 PM
    i live in New York, where all carriers have impecable service, so the service is not an issue for me. It's how the phones work. And if the service is not an issue and the iPhone 4 has more to offer on AT&T as the phone itself is concerned, it's just better in NY. Now, one might say 'just switch to AT&T', but that's not an option for me. I just wanna know what Verizon plans on doing to play on the same field with AT&T's iphone. Just the phone itself
    What does att iPhone 4 offer that Verizon's don't ? Throwing service out say put them in imaginary airplane mode..
    07-31-2011 08:50 PM
    What does att iPhone 4 offer that Verizon's don't ? Throwing service out say put them in imaginary airplane mode..
    Talk and surf and the fact that you can merge calls, even if you're not the original caller on a gsm iPhone
    that's what. i understand that those two things are technically part of 'service', but that's what
    07-31-2011 08:51 PM
    All I was saying sorry If I wasn't clear is verizon current lte runs on sims cards now too .. That's not speculation .. So when iPhone does go Lte talk and web and etc will be possible too current Verizon 4g andriods can do it just sayin
    DannyMichel likes this.
    07-31-2011 08:58 PM
    All I was saying sorry If I wasn't clear is verizon current lte runs on sims cards now too .. That's not speculation .. So when iPhone does go Lte talk and web and etc will be possible too current Verizon 4g andriods can do it just sayin
    thanks for the actual on-topic answer
    07-31-2011 08:59 PM
    that's what. i understand that those two things are technically part of 'service', but that's what
    Maybe I'm just not popular enough but never needed this even if I was able to do it lol that's more of a gsm vs CDMA plus than a gsm iPhone is better that Verizon iPhone plus
    07-31-2011 09:00 PM
    I was wondering if anyone knew how Verizon is planning to compete with AT&T's iPhone 5 with theirs?
    so I guess all in all Verizon plans to compete the same way they are now
    Lol
    07-31-2011 09:06 PM
    so I guess all in all Verizon plans to compete the same way they are now
    Lol
    if that's the case, they are guaranteeing their defeat, especially when the acquisition goes through. the only way they can catch up is if they step it up with the iphone.
    07-31-2011 09:49 PM
    thanks for the actual on-topic answer
    What were you looking for that isn't covered on all the at&t vs vzw threads? It's the same phone so you had to expect flack from the vzw fans. It's kind of like asking what belkin plans to do to compete with linksys for wifi on an iPod. It all comes down to preference and service. If at&t service sucks in an area, vzw wins and vice versa.
    07-31-2011 10:25 PM
    if that's the case, they are guaranteeing their defeat, especially when the acquisition goes through. the only way they can catch up is if they step it up with the iphone.
    Don't see either company going under because of any one Phone .. I mean Verizon just got the iPhone in feb and they still were competing way before that
    icebox93 likes this.
    07-31-2011 10:36 PM
    Don't see either company going under because of any one Phone .. I mean Verizon just got the iPhone in feb and they still were competing way before that
    Very good point!
    07-31-2011 10:40 PM
    Op. Not to add insult to injury, but I just noticed another one of you're threads and was wondering why you even bothered to revisit the already hammered "who's carrier is better argument" with this thread when you are not on Verizon or AT&T? Not adding up for me anyway.
    08-01-2011 02:19 AM
    Op. Not to add insult to injury, but I just noticed another one of you're threads and was wondering why you even bothered to revisit the already hammered "who's carrier is better argument" with this thread when you are not on Verizon or AT&T? Not adding up for me anyway.
    im on verizon. why would you check my other threads. i can prove that im on verizon if you'd like
    08-01-2011 02:21 AM
    and there is no injury inflicted here. i understand saying that if the responses weren't fan-boy and trolesque responses and were all just purely valid points to argue against what i was saying. and my intended discussion was not 'which carrier is better'. that was some other loser's 'argument'
    08-01-2011 02:25 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD