Verizon Forcing Limited Data On Old Family Plans!

nuckinfutz220

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is my Verizon experience for today. I am currently on a VZW Family plan with five lines and have been on the same plan for a little over two years. Three of the five lines are smartphones two of which are iPhones and the other a Blackberry. The other two lines are basic phones. Today is the long awaited day for the two basic phones and the Blackberry lines to upgrade! I go to upgrade these lines starting with a basic phone. When I choose the basic phone to upgrade to the iPhone 4, it takes me to a page that says " This phone is not compatible with your Family Plan, please choose an individual plan". I canceled the order and went back to try the Blackberry. I chose the iPhone 4 for the upgrade and it takes me to a page that says "Please choose your features to continue with your order". The plan area was greyed out and it allowed me use the same family plan. So I started an online chat with a VZW rep in which the she tells me that my plan is no longer offered and I just need to switch to the new family plan and everything will work out fine.......umm yea except that the three current smartphone owners will have to go from a grandfathered unlimited data plan to a 2GB plan. I even asked her if that was correct and she said yes. I told her that I wasn't changing my plan. She said I could buy the phones with another line and transfer them to basic plan lines, which is fine except I can't do that because there are three upgrades available and 2 of which are basic phones.....so that won't work. I informed her that I couldn't do that either and she tells me I just have to call and that I would more than likely "have" to change my plan to upgrade. They are trying to force my entire family to change their plan so they can knock a few more off the unlimited data train. I don't understand why it is such a problem when I am not changing a calling plan by upgrading to the iPhone from a basic phone, but rather I am going to be changing a "feature" in which data is considered. Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't we all been able to change features all day everyday without changing our calling plan once? I know I was able to. Anyone with a similiar experience or help?

ProEvo

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While I do not have this experience under my belt I can say that maybe they are trying to free up some space for Verizon users who are complaining about crappy service since the implementation of the iphone.

It does seem weird that you can't just pay more for unlimited data on a family plan.

Sorry to hear about your bad day.

Reactions: nuckinfutz220

rjasonw

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This my friend is the iPhone effect. As I re read my contract, and the nice addendum they included in my last bill to explain the new data plans, keeping your Existing smartphone will allow your plan to continue. If you however upgrade to a new smartphone, a la iPhone or Android etc, you have to sign the new plan agreements. Same goes for other phones. If it's a basic phone on the line you want it can only be replaced with a similar or comparable basic phone. I already had a nice talk with the store manger at my local Verizon who said that is how she understands it to work. So in essence no upgrade from a dumb phone to a smartphone and keep your plan. You can upgrade an existing smartphone ONCE she said but then you will be forced into the new tiered data with the next upgrade.

I'm considering letting my plan just expire and going to Sprint or even US Cellular. Hopefully Apple will get smart and put the iPhone over there and increase my choices. I was considering going back to iPhone in May but Verizon's new plans and forced changes are making me reconsider staying with them. Good luck.

Reactions: nuckinfutz220

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
makes sense to me....the line with the basic phone is a separate contract. it makes no difference what calling plan you're on..if you start up "new" data service on a line that wasn't grandfathered in, it's gonna put you on a tiered data package...why wouldn't it?

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I was concerned about this because right now I have been on my parents plan with a smartphone for years so obviously I have the unlimited data. My concern is what is going to happen once I want to go on my own plan? I would like to stay with Verizon since where I live its the best service but I will fight like all hell to keep my unlimited data.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I know there alot of hype about unlimited data or the 2 gig and of course who wouldn't want the unlimited. But how much data does everyone really use in one billing cycle ? I know netflixs and you tube would blow 2g like nothing but how many people really truly need unlimited ? Just curious is all not defending anything

mom2nickemma

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I can upgrade my Droid with out a problem because I have the unlimited plan. Here is my question for you all. I want to upgrade my son to an Iphone. The 2G is the same price as my unlimited( not available). I need to know if that is enough data usage. Yes, he uses Youtube and streams video like Netfix. What is want to know is... if he is using Wifi...does that count toward his usage? Almost everywhere he goes including the house has Wifi. I really don't want to almost double my phone bills :( Thank you for your help.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Wifi does not count against your data usage, because you are not using cellular data.

As far as "is it enough?", it depends on how much data he uses. I am sure your provider can get you/him that information... but if he's using wifi "almost everywhere he goes", I'm going to say, yeah, it's enough. But do the research and see how much cellular data is currently being used.

PsYcHoNeWb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I know there alot of hype about unlimited data or the 2 gig and of course who wouldn't want the unlimited. But how much data does everyone really use in one billing cycle ? I know netflixs and you tube would blow 2g like nothing but how many people really truly need unlimited ? Just curious is all not defending anything

I agree and I would think that in that case it would make sense to not use Netflix or excessive YouTube unless you are on WiFi.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Here is my Verizon experience for today. I am currently on a VZW Family plan with five lines and have been on the same plan for a little over two years. Three of the five lines are smartphones two of which are iPhones and the other a Blackberry. The other two lines are basic phones. Today is the long awaited day for the two basic phones and the Blackberry lines to upgrade! I go to upgrade these lines starting with a basic phone. When I choose the basic phone to upgrade to the iPhone 4, it takes me to a page that says " This phone is not compatible with your Family Plan, please choose an individual plan". I canceled the order and went back to try the Blackberry. I chose the iPhone 4 for the upgrade and it takes me to a page that says "Please choose your features to continue with your order". The plan area was greyed out and it allowed me use the same family plan. So I started an online chat with a VZW rep in which the she tells me that my plan is no longer offered and I just need to switch to the new family plan and everything will work out fine.......umm yea except that the three current smartphone owners will have to go from a grandfathered unlimited data plan to a 2GB plan. I even asked her if that was correct and she said yes. I told her that I wasn't changing my plan. She said I could buy the phones with another line and transfer them to basic plan lines, which is fine except I can't do that because there are three upgrades available and 2 of which are basic phones.....so that won't work. I informed her that I couldn't do that either and she tells me I just have to call and that I would more than likely "have" to change my plan to upgrade. They are trying to force my entire family to change their plan so they can knock a few more off the unlimited data train. I don't understand why it is such a problem when I am not changing a calling plan by upgrading to the iPhone from a basic phone, but rather I am going to be changing a "feature" in which data is considered. Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't we all been able to change features all day everyday without changing our calling plan once? I know I was able to. Anyone with a similiar experience or help?

Does not matter what plan you are on the unlimited data feature is a feature and is grand fathered to the line not the plan so yes the blackberry on your account could keep the unlimited but if you upgrade your basic lines they will have capped data ... As far As not being compatable with your plan . They are unless you have a Alltell plan or your plan is older than 2006 .. The error you getting is basically just verizion site and you can upgrade the basic line to iPhone but it would be capped data but not change your plan.
Also the person you chatted with can not help much because they don't have the power to pull up your account or make changes all they can do is try to tell you what to click on the site. You just have to call a Verizon rep they will fix it process the upgrades etc and even get you to tela sales to match the online price and shipping.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
What plan are you on? If it is not Nationwide in the name then you just need to get on a current family share plan. If I remember correctly it went to the features section when I got my iPhone as well. Like others said, just go to a store or call in... Price and shipping will not differ because it is the iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW