Since 7/7/11 I've received 1.3 gb of data and I was wondering if anybody knew when the cap was going to start. And if any of you think I'll go over it. A little over a week and 1 gb seems like a lot but idk. Anybody else use more and not worried about it?
    07-18-2011 02:31 PM
    are you on umlimited? If so, you dont need to worry since you are grandfathered unless you make changes to your data
    07-18-2011 02:35 PM
    Oh well I guess I am grandfathered in. Thank you.
    07-18-2011 06:49 PM
    mmhmmm, the freedom of unlimited...
    07-22-2011 01:27 PM
    That's the one thing I really miss and reason why I regret switching to Sprint and then back to AT&T, is I lost my unlimited data.
    07-23-2011 09:46 PM
    Those of you on unlimited better not get used to it...word is as soon as this last batch of 2 year contracts ends that provided the unlimited data service, EVERY person will be moved to a limited data usage plan...because AT&T is under no obligation to provide unlimited data plans to people who are not under contract to receive such.
    07-29-2011 08:39 AM
    Those of you on unlimited better not get used to it...word is as soon as this last batch of 2 year contracts ends that provided the unlimited data service, EVERY person will be moved to a limited data usage plan...because AT&T is under no obligation to provide unlimited data plans to people who are not under contract to receive such.
    Not true at all. The only thing AT&T has planned for unlimited data plan customers is that our data will be throttled each month when we reach the 2.5 - 4GB limit that they plan on setting starting in October. Which is more than OK with me as I use a lot less than 2GB each month anyway. This will mostly be a problem for those who abuse the unlimited data plan by tethering hundreds of GB each month simply because they think AT&T owes it to them.

Link:http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/28/att-to...-for-iphone-5/

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    07-29-2011 10:56 AM
    Does throttling really help the situation, though? Or will we just accept that things take longer?
    07-29-2011 11:22 AM
    Does throttling really help the situation, though? Or will we just accept that things take longer?
    IMHO, yes, it does help. As it will help make the network less congested and maintain the speed for those of us who don't abuse the system.

07-29-2011 11:56 AM
    Yeah, I have to disagree with this. I can renew my contract right now and transfer over my existing unlimited plan.

And regards to throttling. I don't think it is that big of a deal honestly. I use 8-10 gig a month and think I will be fine. People who use a tremendous amount of data might be hit but those are people who tethering a lot of prime targets I believe. For the record I never tether.
    08-01-2011 12:12 PM
    you guys are lucky I wish i had unlimited. im stuck with this crummy 2gb/month
    08-01-2011 02:59 PM
    Yeah, I have to disagree with this. I can renew my contract right now and transfer over my existing unlimited plan.

And regards to throttling. I don't think it is that big of a deal honestly. I use 8-10 gig a month and think I will be fine. People who use a tremendous amount of data might be hit but those are people who tethering a lot of prime targets I believe. For the record I never tether.
    Of course you can...ANYONE can that was grandfathered in...that wasn't the point of my post, the point was that when AT&T decides to STOP allowing people to have unlimited data plans, as soon as your current contract is over (or if you're not currently under contract), at ANY point they can simply switch you over, as they have ZERO obligation to you to provide you with unlimited data for your iPhone.

It actually reads quite clearly in the contract that after a contract has been fulfilled, AT&T reserves the right to change a customers features based on current data/voice plan offerings without notice...meaning they can change your data plan to the tiered system and send you a message saying "Enjoy your 2/4GB per month!" and there's NOTHING you can do about it outside of switching providers.

That day IS coming. The throttling is a temporary fix for them...it's so clear to see, the companies are all waiting to see which one of them makes the first move, and then it'll all come down like dominos...sounds like conspiracy theory right? Just watch...
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    08-01-2011 04:33 PM
    Of course you can...ANYONE can that was grandfathered in...that wasn't the point of my post, the point was that when AT&T decides to STOP allowing people to have unlimited data plans, as soon as your current contract is over (or if you're not currently under contract), at ANY point they can simply switch you over, as they have ZERO obligation to you to provide you with unlimited data for your iPhone.

It actually reads quite clearly in the contract that after a contract has been fulfilled, AT&T reserves the right to change a customers features based on current data/voice plan offerings without notice...meaning they can change your data plan to the tiered system and send you a message saying "Enjoy your 2/4GB per month!" and there's NOTHING you can do about it outside of switching providers.

That day IS coming. The throttling is a temporary fix for them...it's so clear to see, the companies are all waiting to see which one of them makes the first move, and then it'll all come down like dominos...sounds like conspiracy theory right? Just watch...
    Ah, well I don't have anything to worry about honestly with the amount of phones I buy. I always stay in contract. I can see how it may effect others but not me.
    08-02-2011 12:58 PM
    Likewise, if you are eligible for an early upgrade, you are never "out of contract". You are simply extending it each time.

Chris
    08-02-2011 01:48 PM
    I am absolutely certain you are in for a rude rude awakening, then. Based on what AT&T has said in the past (regarding who would be affected by tiered plans) I'm convinced that you are easily within the top 5%. As am I, averaging 5-6Gb/mo.
    08-02-2011 02:01 PM

This is true, all cellphone companies can do this once the contract has been fulfilled. And when the contract is over they can jack up your rates, change your plan and even cancel your service.

They can also get away with changing features without your notice while you're in the contract, such as changing Unlimited data to "Unlimited data" like adding an invisible cap and shutting you off or throttling your speeds. In your contract it does say "We reserve the right to change features without your notice" Not change it to something different, but change how it works.

You may think that the carrier can't do anything you don't agree to because that would be a breach of contract, however the contract is written by the carrier so therefore it's meant to work for them, not you. There's loop holes in the contract that allows the carrier to do whatever they want.
    08-02-2011 02:08 PM
    I am absolutely certain you are in for a rude rude awakening, then. Based on what AT&T has said in the past (regarding who would be affected by tiered plans) I'm convinced that you are easily within the top 5%. As am I, averaging 5-6Gb/mo.
    That's true, AT&T (and Verizon for that matter) talk about the top 5% percent of users being throttled, however no one ever says what's the amount of data consumption that qualifies for that 5%. To them it could be anyone that exceeds 2 gigs. So if you go over 2 gigs of data, guess what? You're in that top 5%
    08-02-2011 02:14 PM
    I am convinced that ATT is already throttling many users. I average less then 2GB a month. I am on the old unlimited plan. But the connection speed is so slow lately. When I connect to my laptop, many of the graphics on basic web pages do not even come up. Many websites just hand, waiting to load. I am an outside sales rep in a major market and I get the same results no matter where I try to access the web.

I think they have the ability to see when you are tethering and they slow the speed.
    08-02-2011 02:39 PM
    What will happen to Tmobile customers when the merger goes through that have unlimited data now??
    08-02-2011 02:53 PM
    I have to agree with Sean on this as well. The next time you want to get a new phone AT&T does have the power to say sorry but if you want a discount on that phone you must sign a new contract and we are no longer offering unlimited data on any contracts.

Your options would be - take the discount and sign the contract losing unlimited data. Or kiss your subsidized phones good bye.

This is coming. I have no doubt.

@bigbubba, pretty much the same as what I said about unlimited data. AT&T must honor all terms until your contract is over. But once it's over it's over and the only way you will get a new phone at the discounted price is to sign a new contract with AT&T.

Finally, bring on the throttling. More bandwidth for me; I'm no where near the top 5%.
    Last edited by sting7k; 08-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    08-02-2011 02:59 PM

I have never been in a contract with AT&T and I am still grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. I've switched back and forth from Android to the iPhone again and the unlimited plan still remained on my single line. I doubt very highly that AT&T will just up and remove it. I also don't think AT&T is going to do away with their current grandfathered customers unlimited data plan unless a carrier like Verizon starts to remove their grandfathered customers. Honestly, people have been talking about AT&T doing away with grandfathered unlimited plans for a long time and yet we are still on it....
    08-02-2011 04:01 PM
    It's coming man, unfortunate as it is, it is coming. It doesn't matter that they've been talking about it for years because it hasn't been until recently that the phones are actually causing any kind of network bogging...now they HAVE to act, and if that means improving their network, we have to pay for that some how...this is an easy move for them.

It is especially easy for them to do it to customers like YOU because you're not in a contract, so they have no obligation to you for really anything, they could change it to whatever they wanted to and you would have little recourse outside going to a different carrier or signing a contract for "x" amount of data usage.

And don't think renewing a contract will save you from this...contract renewal is going to be one of the first methods they use to get everyone in on the tiered pie.

Then they'll go after the people who do not have a contract, changing their data plans for them, since they have no obligation to offer it to them anymore.

And of course those who have already switched over are of no concern because they're already in the boat.

...im guessing we're about 2 years off from completely tiered data plans across the board for AT&T and Verizon users on the iPhone (and every other smart phone for that matter).
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    08-02-2011 04:31 PM
    ^ Don't kid yourself, network congestion started a long time ago. With LTE coming up, AT&T is now finally starting to take a look at the overall picture and are taking a harder stance against the people who are causing the problem in the first place. Regular unlimited data plan customers who use it the way it was intended is not what caused the network congestion. The problem arrived when people started abusing the system by racking up 10-25-50+GB in tethering each and every month simply because they think AT&T owed it to them or something. These are the people that AT&T will be going after by throttling their data when they reach a certain usage..... I do believe that one day my unlimited data plan will be gone, however, I'm not worried about it in the least, as I don't even use 2GB a month now even with tethering to another iOS device.
    08-02-2011 04:48 PM
    Irish Rose,
    I resent the word "abuse". I regularly go to about 8 gb a month and NO TETHERING. It is because I stream video to my iphone (Netflix and Slingplayer) while eating lunch. Ialso stream audio while working. All that is legal under their unlimited plan.

So please, watch what you say. I am sure there are MANY legit people using alot of data. It isn't hard streaming video and audio.

Not true at all. The only thing AT&T has planned for unlimited data plan customers is that our data will be throttled each month when we reach the 2.5 - 4GB limit that they plan on setting starting in October. Which is more than OK with me as I use a lot less than 2GB each month anyway. This will mostly be a problem for those who abuse the unlimited data plan by tethering hundreds of GB each month simply because they think AT&T owes it to them.

Link:AT&T to implement data throttling in early October, just in time for iPhone 5 | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

08-02-2011 05:28 PM
    ^ Don't kid yourself, network congestion started a long time ago. With LTE coming up, AT&T is now finally starting to take a look at the overall picture and are taking a harder stance against the people who are causing the problem in the first place. Regular unlimited data plan customers who use it the way it was intended is not what caused the network congestion. The problem arrived when people started abusing the system by racking up 10-25-50+GB in tethering each and every month simply because they think AT&T owed it to them or something. These are the people that AT&T will be going after by throttling their data when they reach a certain usage..... I do believe that one day my unlimited data plan will be gone, however, I'm not worried about it in the least, as I don't even use 2GB a month now even with tethering to another iOS device.
    Who's kidding themselves? Network congestion from smart phones started really becoming an issue around the same time that the first iPhone hit the market...don't want to take my word for it? Go read the countless blogs online that specifically quote carrier releases that discussed the need for a "4G" network that could handle a faster pace data usage society...

Before this, the biggest hog on the network was the Blackberry, which simply hammed up networks with emails, and STILL were only using a few hundred MB's of data per month...even under heavy load, those phones would be pushing it to even come close to 1GB per month.

Besides the BB's...what was there? Palm phones? lmao...you've got to be joking right?

Hell, even when the iPhone first came out, the data plans were actually part of the messaging plan, which included SMS messages (and MMS messages on other phones since the first iPhone wasn't capable of such)...i remember paying like $20 for unlimited internet usage and 200 SMS messages or something like that...the focus then was people sending tons of messages...that in itself should tell you that the issue with data network bogging is a fairly recent "issue" for them...

And what's this about LTE? You're talking about something that there is hardly any information about from AT&T to its consumers...besides some generic LTE info that applies across the carrier board, there isn't a lick of information about it for AT&T specifically, and CERTAINLY nothing that would point you in any knowledgeable direction as far as how they'll handle data plans within LTE services.

Look bud, it definitely isn't just the major data hogs that AT&T is focusing on...i know several people who have been using MiWi for YEARS that have received notification about their data usage when all of them are easily under the 10GB mark per month, even using Netflix and what not.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-02-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    08-02-2011 05:50 PM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD