AT&T data cap

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with a customer service rep yesterday after receiving that 5% message, I asked them what they consider top 5% and for unlimited data plans like I am on she said anything over 2 GB puts you in the top 5% for an unlimited plan.

Honestly thinking of switching to sprint when my 2 yrs is up in June 2012.

I can attest to that fact. I received the message as I was approaching 2GB of data. There are either no users using 10GB+ on their data plans or this 5% BS is a complete lie....or they are using all 2GB plan subscribers as the base for their calculation....which would put any use over 2GB as a "heavy" data user. I have never gone over 5GB on my Unlimited plan. I routinely go between 3GB to 4GB range...so how am I in the 5%? When I called and asked them to prove that I am in the 5% of heaviest data users, they couldn't. I told them consider me a cancelled account, along with my 5 other iPhones in my Family Plan in June. This is a scam.

Last edited:

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Havent seen anyone post this up...so let me be the first to tell you that is not true at all. For awhile i thought if you went over the 2gb, as everyone had experienced, you got the text of being Mr. 5%....till this morning...I emailed Rene Ritchie about this....see picture below...

Read my post from two weeks ago. You get that warning first before you hit the cap, when you're "approaching" 5%. Then after you go over 2GB you get another text and you're throttled.

Last month it was 11GB. What will it be next month?

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Read my post from two weeks ago. You get that warning first before you hit the cap, when you're "approaching" 5%. Then after you go over 2GB you get another text and you're throttled.

Last month it was 11GB. What will it be next month?

I would agree with you...but the thing is...I got that message last month at 1.8 GB which makes sense with your theory...but this month I got it wayyyyy to early. I'm just saying....it's getting ridiculous because as the previous post said...I usually only use about 3gb to 4gb max. If theirs anyone that should be getting that text is you Johnhynes no offense. ;) lol but even at that....if you got unlimited like what the heck you know....
I'm bout to call them up and tell them to leave me alone or I'm canceling. Lol 10+ years with AT&T and I'm getting this service. Nah nah. Lol

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean, AT&T is breaking the TOS? If so, I think they are, especially if they are slowing down unlimited data use after or shortly before 2BG of data usage.....

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Agreed. This is BS! I pay for unlimited and I expect to get unlimited at the same d@mn speed as everyone else or I'm outa there. 10/20/30gb of use I get. They didn't "expect" people to use that much... but 2gb?! Get real AT&T!

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This month I've used 2.4GB on my unlimited plan and never got a text or anything. But I went over 2GB with about 5 days left in my billing cycle. I didn't hit 2GB within 2 days of my billing cycle. I have no problem with the throttling but I wish it was like T-Mobile's. Everyone should be throttled after reaching 5GB. If you use more than that than you deserve to be throttled because obviously your streaming netflix. They have to do this in order to make sure everyone has good speeds. People need to get on WIFI more, and I hate the ones that say I don't have it everywhere because practically everywhere has WIFI nowadays.

DannyFresh

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
AT&T Sending Data Warnings At 2GB

I Just received the famous free message from AT&T: "Your data use this month places you in the to 5% of users. Use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds." Funny thing is I am only at about 2GB of data. There have been previous months where I have used in excess of 3GB and never got the warning before. Does this mean that AT&T is lowering the "imaginary" cap on customers of grandfarthered unlinited data plans.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Does this mean that AT&T is lowering the "imaginary" cap on customers of grandfarthered unlinited data plans.

Yes. Last month it was 11GB. This month it's 2. As the top 5% get throttled, the cap gets lower, because they're all forced to use less.

Welcome to the 5%.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
...If you use more than that than you deserve to be throttled because obviously your streaming netflix. They have to do this in order to make sure everyone has good speeds. People need to get on WIFI more, and I hate the ones that say I don't have it everywhere because practically everywhere has WIFI nowadays

I drive for a livIng. How am I supposed to get on wifi? I certainly don't watch Netflix behind the wheel. As it is now, I have a hard time getting Google Map to work.

Data caps do not work. The problem is not people who use a lot of data, it's that a lot people tend to use it at the same time. There is no network congestion when I'm using my iPhone late at night/early morning. See the article at Boing Boing.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Why are people whining so much? You ARE getting unlimited data...it's just not all at the same speed. Maybe you should take the throttling as a lesson and use Wifi more, for example, or use your phone less. And even if you do go over 2.0 GB or whatever, you still have data access, no? It's not like AT&T removes that completely.

snowmon

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Why are people whining so much? You ARE getting unlimited data...it's just not all at the same speed. Maybe you should take the throttling as a lesson and use Wifi more, for example, or use your phone less. And even if you do go over 2.0 GB or whatever, you still have data access, no? It's not like AT&T removes that completely.

First off, if your being throttled you are not on unlimited. When it comes to WiFi that is great if it is there for the most part the only WiFi I have is at the house. If I'm at the house I'm surely not going to to use my phone I have a laptop. This is AT&T way of doing away with the unlimited plan. This month they slow you down after a given amount of useage then a month or two later they knock it down even more because you are still in the top 5%. I dropped AT&T for my home service many years ago because of their business practices and trying to rip you off. I swore then when I dumped them I wouldn't go back to them and I never have. The only reason I have wireless with them is because they bought the company I had wireless with and up untill now has treated me right. AT&T is the same thief that they where years ago. Just like my home service when I'm gone I am gone. As far as I am concerned AT&T can kiss my A******

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

How should people take it as a lesson? I paid for unlimited and never once tethered or did any heavy streaming. There's NO wifi at my job so I use my mobile. When we got our unlimited plan the terms didn't say anything about being throttled. AT&T should have build up their network to handle all the users.

AT&T should offer the iPhone with NO data plan because 4 out 5 iPhones on my plan use less then 200mb. So this is proof that AT&T is robbing their customers.

Via Tapatalk

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
And it is unlimited data. Unlimited data means unlimited amount of data, not unlimited speeds. I use my phone a lot and even when I was streaming pandora 8 hours a day 5 days a week as well as browsing regularly and I never went over 3GB. Those of you using that much data should be throttled, maybe not to to the extent that thier doing it, but you should be, if it limits what those of us who don't use an excessive amount of data. You can still use as much as you want so it's unlimited, just not at as fast of speeds. Go to sprint or Verizon or quit whining about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh