From what I've been told the iPhone is more expensive on at&t then the other smart phones. Why is that? None of the at&t monkeys a have given me a strait answer. I wouldn't mind getting a iPhone if it cost the same as owning a android with the tethering plan.
    I can't change to another carrier because at&t is the only one that works in the part of NY I'm moving to in the next month. Except maybe tmobile but then I might as well stay were I'm at.
    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-07-2011 08:15 PM
    From what I've been told the iPhone is more expensive on at&t then the other smart phones. Why is that? None of the at&t monkeys a have given me a strait answer. I wouldn't mind getting a iPhone if it cost the same as owning a android with the tethering plan.
    I can't change to another carrier because at&t is the only one that works in the part of NY I'm moving to in the next month. Except maybe tmobile but then I might as well stay were I'm at.
    Not understanding what is more expensive. Plans are the same cost for all smart phones whether it is IOS, Android, or whatever.
    07-07-2011 08:52 PM
    Does AT&T really have monkeys answering customer questions or are you being derogatory? And the word is "straight" as in "direct"... not "strait" as in "a narrow passage of water". And you surely meant "than" (comparative) instead of "then" (chronology).

I suspect that the prices are set in conjunction/consultation with Apple. (Yeah "price fixing" is illegal in the US, but why is it that many products sell for virtually the same price everywhere?)

With the original iPhone, Apple also negotiated a "special" deal for AT&T customers who bought the iPhone - throwing in a text messaging plan despite the fact that no other smart phone contract could get text messages included... it is what it is.

Otherwise, the data prices and text messaging plans have pretty much settled in at fixed prices across the product line (and pretty much between carriers, as well).
    Last edited by Fausty82; 07-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    07-07-2011 10:14 PM
    What are you looking to save? $5/month? $10/month? This is a luxury phone, you pay a premium to have a phone that does what iPhones and Androids and Blackberry's do...my M3 costs a premium for simple services like oil changes, premium gas and regular maintenance, and while i could have a nice car that doesn't have all these extra costs involved, i choose to drive a BMW because i enjoy the luxury (well...sport actually) of it, i knew that going in, so it's not some dumfounding surprise that it exists during ownership.

The same goes for smart phones of the likes of the iPhone, you're complaining that the cost is too much on AT&T, well it's really not, as they have already pointed out above...but beyond that, you're wanting to have the luxury without the luxury cost, and the truth of the matter is it simply doesn't work that way, regardless of what carrier you use...Verizon's iPhone is the same if not a hair more than the AT&T iPhone when it comes to monthly costs of ownership.

If you're having trouble justifying the cost on AT&T for the iPhone, perhaps it's not time for you to have it, because honestly, for what i can do with my iPhone vs. what i've paid in the past 12 or so years of having a variety of cell phones and carriers, i think im getting a great deal...i used to pay $300/month for a phone that included luxury features like text messaging and email capabilities hahaha...be glad the costs for these amazing phones have come down to where they are now!
    07-08-2011 10:55 AM
    From what I've been told the iPhone is more expensive on at&t then the other smart phones.
    You were told incorrect information. The service plans are all the same and the same price as you would get on any other smart phone on AT&T.

Unless you mean the cost of the actual phone. In which case some phones are just more expensive than others. Same as some cars, shoes, microwave ovens, and hats are expensive than others.

If that's your issue you should check Walmart, sometimes it's $150 for the 16GB model there on a special.
    Last edited by sting7k; 07-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    07-08-2011 12:09 PM
    This appears to have been a "drive by" rant...
    07-08-2011 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD