This may be a dumb question.. but I'm going to get my iPhone 4 this week, would I still be able to put insurance on it on the 17th? Or should I wait for the 17th in order to buy my iPhone?
    07-06-2011 12:43 PM
    This may be a dumb question.. but I'm going to get my iPhone 4 this week, would I still be able to put insurance on it on the 17th? Or should I wait for the 17th in order to buy my iPhone?
    You have 30 days from the date of purchase to add insurance
    willows3 likes this.
    07-06-2011 12:46 PM
    You should be fine if you get it now, as you can always call customer service on the 17th and have the rep. add the insurance to your line.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    willows3 likes this.
    07-06-2011 12:59 PM
    I would heavily weigh the worth of the insurance vs. the monthly cost on it, outside of a dive into water, a good case will prevent any kind of legitimate (See: Expensive) damage that would require use of the insurance anyways, and the case will be a tiny fraction of what you put into that insurance payment every month to them (not to mention the fact that it'll be like pulling teeth what you have to go through if you ever DO have a claim).

Just weigh it for yourself...i'll personally never buy into those things, a good case and some common sense goes a long way to saving you A LOT of money.
    07-11-2011 09:24 AM
    ^ Insurance also covers lost/stolen, which is also worth considering.

07-11-2011 10:06 AM
    Deff worth considering, but the investment is a bit much to me...maybe im overly protective of my phone, but the thing rarely leaves my side, and NEVER leaves my side in an area where the theft of it would become possible. Losing it, in my opinion, would be another barely legitimate reasoning for the insurance (at least to me), i guess if you're prone to losing things or leaving them in places where they could easily be stolen, perhaps the insurance is a good thing for you.

Just gotta make sure to weigh the options...knock on wood, but i haven't ever lost a phone (or pager, or any mobile electronic device for that matter), and i doubt i'd be subject to having one stolen unless someone attempted to rob me, lol. For me, the investment isn't justified...a nice case and some common sense and i'm more than satisfied with the security of my iPhone. Obviously my own situation doesn't apply to everyone, but for $12-$14/month over a 2 year contract, I'm all set without.
    07-11-2011 10:30 AM
    but for $12-$14/month over a 2 year contract, I'm all set without.
    AT&T's insurance is going to be $4.99/month. The price you quoted here was for the old iPhone Mobile Protect insurance.

07-11-2011 10:45 AM
    AT&T's insurance is going to be $4.99/month. The price you quoted here was for the old iPhone Mobile Protect insurance.

You are correct... it takes effect on July 17... however, as long as there's the $150 deductible, I have zero interest. (Not to mention the $5/month for life.)

Apple will replace an out of warranty iPhone for $199... so after 10 months of insurance, you're in negative territory....
    07-11-2011 10:56 AM
    You are correct... it takes effect on July 17... however, as long as there's the $150 deductible, I have zero interest. (Not to mention the $5/month for life.)

Apple will replace an out of warranty iPhone for $199... so after 10 months of insurance, you're in negative territory....
    This is true, however, as I said earlier, even Apple doesn't cover lost/stolen. My friend lost her iPhone 4 on a bike ride, but later found that it had been run over by a car. She had to pay over $600 for a new one. She now has insurance on the new one.

07-11-2011 12:51 PM
    $4.99 + deductible is not really that different than $12/month. Im sure it's worthy to someone out there, but man, i'll take my chances buying a replacement on eBay or Craigslist.
    07-11-2011 01:19 PM

Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-11-2011 01:22 PM
    $4.99 + deductible is not really that different than $12/month. Im sure it's worthy to someone out there, but man, i'll take my chances buying a replacement on eBay or Craigslist.
    I also take my chances as well. I have a back up 3GS just in case anyway. Mobile Protect was $12/month + 200. deductible, which is higher than AT&T's insurance that starts on the 17'th. While I do believe there are cheaper options available, I do like the new plan better.

07-11-2011 02:33 PM
    New plan is more attractive, that is for sure...hopefully they start a trend of lowering the price of things all across the spectrum at AT&T, and not just these gimmick offers.
    07-11-2011 05:26 PM
    ^ Agreed. Although, AT&T's prices are already cheaper than that of their direct competitor, Verizon.
    07-11-2011 05:58 PM
    $5 is way better than $12 for sure.
    07-25-2011 02:00 PM
    I just might add this when I upgrade to the iPhone 5.
    07-25-2011 03:37 PM
    I just might add this when I upgrade to the iPhone 5.
    Better hope it comes out before Oct. 4th so you can get grandfathered in on the old rate, as this is the date that the insurance is changing again. On Oct. 4th the iPhone 5 will be listed as a tier 3 device which means the new rate of insurance will go up to $6.99/month, with a $199. deductible.... http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/12/att-ra...g-launch-date/

07-25-2011 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD