AT&T CEO: Our 4G LTE network is 2-3 years behind Verizon?s

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This really depends on the individual on how it matters. In my area, 3G speeds are so blazing fast on At&t. Verizon cant compete. Yeah it would be nice to have LTE but with the speeds I get, its not a big deal. Now for the next person, it may be different due to coverage and data speeds. I'm also in no rush for LTE since the TBolt on Verizon cant hold any battery life while on LTE.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised at all, given the state of AT&T's network over the past few years I assumed they would be behind on rolling out 4G to the masses.

I was pleased that they are expanding their 3G coverage, as my town finally received 3G (and it's a college town on a busy interstate highway... never understood why it took so long to get 3G here!)

I did not realize that the buy of T-Mobile was required to be able to expand the 4G network in the future, though.

Personally, I don't really care if 4G is delayed. 3G is fast enough for browsing and music streaming, basically all I do when connected to the network, other times I'm on WiFi.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Since I live in Houston, I'll be one of the first metros to get LTE from AT&T. Of course there are no LTE devices available. No LTE iPhone until at least summer 2012. I think the best part of AT&T's LTE is that the fallback will be hspa or hspa+ (at least for me). Verizon? It will drop back to CDMA with no simultaneous voice/data.

I'll be out of contract by then, so we'll see where I shop my services.

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It makes no difference to me at all, since my 3G service was just as fast my buddies thunderbolt during a recent road trip. However, at home it would be nice if AT&T would at least light up 3G!

Seriously, good sized college town, major interstate, no 3G. I work 30 miles north in a metro area of over 125000, and it isn't hot there either.

Yeah, I'm annoyed.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You also gotta keep in mind that T-mobile, which I think is way crappier than AT&T in terms of cell service and data, already started rolling out 4G, before AT&T, but AT&T is buying out T-mobile so they'll acquire their 4G towers and have something to work with at least.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
AT&T has the iPhone, consumers will flock to it- data speeds, the network doesn't mean anything... oh wait... they really can't use that plan now, huh? Wait, what's plan b now?

I had the worst experience with AT&T in terms of reliability. In terms of speed, yes, AT&T is faster. Blows Verizon away.

On AT&T, I could load up 3 web pages. The first one will load up in 2 seconds, then it will take 10 minutes to load up the other two webpages with full signal strength and a frozen blue progress bar. Meanwhile my boss who is trying to reach me has just left his 2nd voicemail with an increasingly angry tone and I won't get the voicemails until 30 minutes later.

On Verizon, with the same 3 web pages, the first one will take 10 seconds to load, then another 10 seconds for each additional webpage. And people can contact me... OMG!

So it's the tortoise vs. the hare and the tortoise wins.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Nophix - that's similar to my situation, though it sounds like your town may be a bit larger than mine. Hopefully you'll be a benefactor of the 3G expansion.

Think, I've not had any issues with multiple web pages loading on AT&T (with my iPhone that is... with my Blackberry that's another story, but it's not 3G capable on GSM.)

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The funny part about our area is, they updated teh coverage map to show 3g, but it isnt here. That was a few weeks ago.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
AT&T CEO: Our 4G LTE network is 2-3 years behind Verizon's

Click.. read... return & opine.

Interesting. I'm fairly certain Verizon will have 4G in my market before AT&T, who doesn't even have 3G here.

I honestly don't really care. Their 3G service in my area is at least 2x faster than Verizon's 3G and normally faster than that. In DC Verizon has LTE but it sucks down battery life so fast that the 2 people I know with Thunderbolts have to turn their cellular data off/on constantly while in the city or else their phone will be dead in less than 4 hours.

IMO AT&T should just focus on HSPA+ for now and get that every where on their network. I would be happy with just the improvements that brings along with battery life that will still last all day.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You also gotta keep in mind that T-mobile, which I think is way crappier than AT&T in terms of cell service and data, already started rolling out 4G, before AT&T, but AT&T is buying out T-mobile so they'll acquire their 4G towers and have something to work with at least.

Tmobile does not have 4G, they have HSPA+ which is still a 3G technology.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods