Using a Iphone on AT&T's pay as you go, easier and cheaper than you think, write up

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The other confusing part is the voice text plan. How is it pay as you go if for $2/day you can get unlimited talk/text? That is far cheaper than the other unlimited options for sure.

But that brings me back to what I said, that plan is not for smart phones. AT&T knows what phone he is using the instant he turns it on and connects to their network. They likely could just kick him onto one of the required plans at any time.

I just wonder if the fact that the Sim card is bought from AT&T and not "locked" to any phone causes AT&T not to able to tel that it is an iPhone? I don't know but I wonder if that is how they could not tell??:confused::confused:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I just wonder if the fact that the Sim card is bought from AT&T and not "locked" to any phone causes AT&T not to able to tel that it is an iPhone? I don't know but I wonder if that is how they could not tell??:confused::confused:

They know it's you based off the SIM, they know what phone based off the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number. Every phone has one, it's the VIN for cell phones.

onlyifuknewme

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This is not worth all the trouble. Better off getting a brand new Iphone with new contract and paying the monthly fees. At least there's rollover minutes if you dont go through all 450 minutes :)

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm not getting unlimited data. I get the 500MB plan. Which is good enough a month for me. With wifi and netflix over the tv. I just don't use much data. But I got tired of going through hassles with at&t and don't want to be tied up into a contract. I bought this phone outright in July 2009 so what reason do I need to be on a contract.

This wasn't a post about its better to get off of a at&t contract. It was just to show everybody on here that you have options and how to obtain those options. Thats all. But I can tell yall now. I never had a monthly bill from at&t less than $100. Most of the time it was $130.

Thanks
Josh

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm not getting unlimited data. I get the 500MB plan. Which is good enough a month for me. With wifi and netflix over the tv. I just don't use much data. But I got tired of going through hassles with at&t and don't want to be tied up into a contract. I bought this phone outright in July 2009 so what reason do I need to be on a contract.

This wasn't a post about its better to get off of a at&t contract. It was just to show everybody on here that you have options and how to obtain those options. Thats all. But I can tell yall now. I never had a monthly bill from at&t less than $100. Most of the time it was $130.

Thanks
Josh

Just seems like a lot of hassle for nothing. I guess if you use a lot of voice minutes and not data this keeps your bill low. But I don't remember the last time I used over 100 minutes in a single month, plus I have 4000+ roll over minutes. Why was your bill so high? Mine is ~$80/month for a single line.

Just don't be surprised if you start getting messages from AT&T.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you bought it outright you can go to any store and have it setup on postpaid service with no contract. Along with postpaid service you get access to AT&T's roaming agreements across the country as well as a much larger data network.

You're making your own life harder...

sedative

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I could understand going through the headaches for another reason that nobody mentioned..

What about those people that want to use AT&T and cant afford the $500-1500 deposits they sometimes require?

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I could understand going through the headaches for another reason that nobody mentioned..

What about those people that want to use AT&T and cant afford the $500-1500 deposits they sometimes require?

Highest standard deposit is $750, lowest is $150. Anything higher and you owe AT&T money directly.

steffytailor

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
http://www.iphonepayasyougo.org.uk

For those who are living in UK, iphone pay as you go is a better plan to have than to have a contracted iphone. With iphone pay as you go, you can get rid out of those hefty monthly bills, which frustrates you at the end of every month. And you can credit your calling from any general store by buying a top up voucher. So, it won't cost you any extra bugs for the thing which you won't do from your iphone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I set up a PAYG account for my daughter with my old 3GS. She mostly texts with an occasional call here and there.This plan has been great as I only pay about $25/week for her. She uses WiFi for data so there was no need for a prepaid data plan. If a person does use a lot of data I don't think prepaid is the way to go since AT&T's rates are expensive as far as data goes.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

elitegamer767

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
For those who are living in UK, iphone pay as you go is a better plan to have than to have a contracted iphone. With iphone pay as you go, you can get rid out of those hefty monthly bills, which frustrates you at the end of every month. And you can credit your calling from any general store by buying a top up voucher. So, it won't cost you any extra bugs for the thing which you won't do from your iphone.

Yes but you have got to think most people get iPhones on contract to greatly reduce paying a hefty sum of money upfront for the phone I agree that it's cheaper and easier on pay as you go but if you think you pay £500 for an iPhone from apple on pay as you go or free on contract for £36 a month then people who don't have that much at that moment will think about contract.

Sent from my ? iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I set up a PAYG account for my daughter with my old 3GS. She mostly texts with an occasional call here and there.This plan has been great as I only pay about $25/week for her. She uses WiFi for data so there was no need for a prepaid data plan. If a person does use a lot of data I don't think prepaid is the way to go since AT&T's rates are expensive as far as data goes.

$25/week is about $100/month, which is less than I pay on my regular plan. Are you sure this is cost effective?

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I think he meant $25/mo

I did the exact same thing. I gave my daughter my old 3GS. She had been using it for an itouch and also had a track phone. I walked into the ATT store in my mall with her iphone. I asked the guy if I could use her iphone on the ATT pay as you go plan. He said yes. He gave me a sim card for free. He asked how she wanted to use the phone. Since my daughter only sends text and never talks, I signed her up for the 500 text /mo for $10. I put $50 on her account and turned off the 3G data in settings. I told her that she can only have the data when on wifi.

It has been 3 months, she has not had any issues. ATT knows that she has an iphone on the pay as you go. It has been about $15/mo. (she doesnt talk much on the phone). Calls are .10/min

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
$25/week is about $100/month, which is less than I pay on my regular plan. Are you sure this is cost effective?

That was a definite typo, Alli. I pay $25/month. I wouldn't spend $100/month for prepaid.

aizel_babe

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
question: because i bought a phone from my friend and it is locked to at&t and accidentally i update that to ios 5.01-4.12.01 which is there are solution to unlocked it so i decided that i will need to get an at&t sim and prepaid one which is paygo plans but i havent got it yet . but im browsing some forums that if get a paygo sim from at&t and subscribe to $50 per month with unlimited text calls and data. but for iphone 4 the data plans does not work. so can u please help me thanks

aizel_babe

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
question: because i bought iphone from my friend and it is locked to at&t and accidentally i update that to ios 5.01-4.12.01 which is there are solution to unlocked it so i decided that i will need to get an at&t sim and prepaid one which is paygo plans but i havent got it yet . but im browsing some forums that if get a paygo sim from at&t and subscribe to $50 per month with unlimited text calls and data. but for iphone 4 the data plans does not work. so can u please help me thanks

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
question: because i bought iphone from my friend and it is locked to at&t and accidentally i update that to ios 5.01-4.12.01 which is there are solution to unlocked it so i decided that i will need to get an at&t sim and prepaid one which is paygo plans but i havent got it yet . but im browsing some forums that if get a paygo sim from at&t and subscribe to $50 per month with unlimited text calls and data. but for iphone 4 the data plans does not work. so can u please help me thanks

I said this in the other thread, but I'll post it again. You will need to enable the correct prepaid data settings if you plan on using an iPhone with a AT&T prepaid sim card.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro