AT&T vs Verizon

AT&T or Verizon?

• Total voters

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I know I will never leave AT&T in favor of Verizon for various reasons but this could be a good thread for those of you deciding on which carrier to choose for your iPhone. So current iPhone owners speak up and tell us why your carrier of choice is the way to go.

Some of the reasons I'm staying with AT&T are faster data speeds, simultaneous voice and data, better coverage in my area, and unlike some AT&T customers I rarely - if ever - drop calls.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
AT&T for me. I use more data than voice, so for me faster data is more important than better quality calls.

ssaint04

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
AT&T, for several reasons:

Biggest one: I'm contractually obligated to them for another year.

I also use more data than telephony, and AT&T is a smidge faster... For now.

Lastly, while I've never done it, I like the option of using my phone overseas. Until VZW switches to LTE fully, I'm not sure about migrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rujeffinme

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
AT&T for me. Ive been with AT&T since the original iPhone. I was grandfathered in to unlimited data so speed is the important thing for me. Anyways reliability shouldnt be a issue with the T-Mobile acquisition. Welcome to America's new largest and most reliable network.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Go to AT&Ts coverage map and search zip code 50401. Then do the same for Verizon... and tell me which one you'd pick.

The choice if you want a carrier with native 3G service should be obvious.

-----

AT&T vs Verizon...

Coke vs Pepsi...

McDonalds vs Burger King...

Tastes Great vs Less Filling...

Whatever floats your boat - and works for you. This is like Food Network and how they had to turn their programs into battles, wars, and contests. Can't we all just get along? :)

Last edited:

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
I've used both. Couldn't deal with AT&T's terrible coverage. In data speed tests, AT&T may be faster. I'm on Verizon now and I really don't notice much, if any difference. I don't live in a major city and the Red Map 3G is far superior. Doesn't do much good if AT&T 3G is faster if it's not available where you are.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
AT&T for me. Ive been with AT&T since the original iPhone. I was grandfathered in to unlimited data so speed is the important thing for me. Anyways reliability shouldnt be a issue with the T-Mobile acquisition. Welcome to America's new largest and most reliable network.

Tmobile has terrible coverage outside of any metropolitan area. Where I'm from if you're more than about 5 miles from any interstate you have about zero data. That's also been my experience just about anywhere east of Kansas City.

Welcome to America's new mediocre and still unreliable network.

Last edited:

Travelin'Rich

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a service/coverage problem with Verizon anywhere I lived (in the U.S.) Problem is that I started doing a log of international travel so I switched to ATT. I've had coverage problems with ATT. I don't get ATT 3G speed in places where I get VW 3G speeds. Some places I get no ATT data at all. If only VW would get Steve to make an international iPhone for them I'd switch back to VW in a heartbeat.

I ended up getting a VW hotspot to use when I can't get ATT data coverage and for my other devices (this was before ATT added tethering). I'm paying more for the VW hotspot than just adding ATT tethering, but at least I know I'll always have reliable data. Oh, and the VW hotspot is actually an international device with an available sim slot if needed. The hotspot device is smaller than my iPhone and they fit it all in there.

Simultaneous voice and data is nice but I don't really use it that often. I'd gladly trade that for better coverage (voice and data).

Raskal

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Att

I've gotta go with AT&T. Simultaneous voice/data is huge for me. Verizon offers nothing that I want, including coverage. I should know, I not only came from verizon, I travel the country for work. If anything, att has provided service in some areas Verizon didn't. You can keep the aging and non worldwide CDMA, it's gsm or nothing.

Ps: I'm posting this from JFK airport, supposedly one of the bigger problem spots. Often from here on my Verizon droid I couldn't make a call, and if I did it would almost certainly drop due to congestion. I can make a call on this just fine.

aileronguy

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
3 reasons for ATT

1. SIM cards.

2. Rollover Minutes

3. iPhone is the culprit most of the time, not the network. My wife's BB has way fewer issues with connectivity/call quality/etc then the Apple, when they are side by side.

BUT I still like my iPhone.

zdkaram#IM

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
What if coverage was the same for both AT&T and Verizon in your area?

For someone to say "I choose so and so because the other has no coverage" is not the topic here. If thats you, then the company is picking you, not you picking the company. The real question is pound for pound, for those of us who receive relatively dependable coverage from both, which company is superior?

I currently use AT&T and I'm trying to personally decide how important talk and data are to me. When I need it, it definitely comes in handy. I also have unlimited everything from back in the day so life is good.

However, Verizon is a solid company.

For the future, being an iPhone user, which company offers me the most? Now that is the question!

chesterhound#IM

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been completely satisfied with AT&T. I frequently travel to Europe and it's a huge plus to know my iPhone works there. AT&T also offered better pricing, giving me a 20% discount off my voice and data every month.

chesterhound

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm with VZW. Better coverage for me in my area, better reception penatration (i.e. inside buildings). Also I get a 15% discount off my bill from work :)

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've waited for Verizon to get the iPhone ever since it first came out. I won't use at&t because the service is not the best here in southern California. At&t is probably great (if not better) for a lot of people, but not for me. I also get a 25% monthly discount through my wife's work, so that's another plus. Verizon's customer service is amazing, too.