AT&T vs Verizon

AT&T or Verizon?

• Total voters

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
AT&T is faster & since I barely use voice, I don't drop to many calls. Verizon has better coverage both for voice & 3G, especially through the Carolina's where I travel through quite a bit.

I get a better discount with AT&T & I really enjoy the speeds but I might go to Verizon so I can get unlimited data (which I'm grandfathered into with AT&T) & tethering (which I can't get with AT&T without changing my plan.

So to answer the op question, AT&T now & maybe Verizon soon.

Acelx

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
For me and where i live and be at most of the time, its AT&T for me but where you live or work at might be different. thats what i tell people when they ask me what carrier should they get, go buy who get the best service because it makes no sense having a phone that you can't dial from.

I like AT&T because of the fast data speeds, i had t-mobile pretty much all my life before switching over to AT&T (i have sprint also) but AT&T just never had a road block where i live. its smooth and gets the job done.. i think i had my first dropped call EVER! on my iphone 4 today.

dach818

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm tempted to switch over to Verizon, but I don't want to give up simultaneous use of voice and data. That's the only thing holding me back. As soon as Verizon allows that, I'm done with ATT.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Some of the reasons I'm staying with AT&T are faster data speeds, simultaneous voice and data, better coverage in my area, and unlike some AT&T customers I rarely - if ever - drop calls.

Ditto to all of the above.

I actually started out many years ago with Verizon (or their predecessor) and they were okay. The main reason I switched to AT&T (Cingular at the time) was because it was only $10 to add a line. Verizon followed about a week later, but I've been very happy with AT&T's service.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I left AT&T for Verizon last month. The coverage was not as good in my area, and I started getting dropped calls, which is something that I never had with AT&T. Now I am back with AT&T and my iPhone 4. Luckily AT&T gave me my unlimited data plan back.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
i used to be a GSM (huge cingular fan) until the merger with ATT. For me and in So Cali, Verizon has proven itself, without doubt. I had so many dropped calls with ATT I was over my minutes every month. I have not had one dropped call on Verizon (granted only a week). BTW, with wifi, which I am with 90% of my week, data is concurrent with voice calls. I left iPhone because of ATT, now (for the last week) I am very happy again.

I think the classic example is we did a poll in my classroom using polleverywhere dot com. Which is an awesome discussion tool. Participants answer via text message. 1/3 of my classroom on 2 separate sections of campus could not participate, why? Cell Coverage. That sucks.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
i used to be a GSM (huge cingular fan) until the merger with ATT. For me and in So Cali, Verizon has proven itself, without doubt. I had so many dropped calls with ATT I was over my minutes every month. I have not had one dropped call on Verizon (granted only a week). BTW, with wifi, which I am with 90% of my week, data is concurrent with voice calls. I left iPhone because of ATT, now (for the last week) I am very happy again.

I think the classic example is we did a poll in my classroom using polleverywhere dot com. Which is an awesome discussion tool. Participants answer via text message. 1/3 of my classroom on 2 separate sections of campus could not participate, why? Cell Coverage. That sucks.
I switched to Cingular from T-Mobile because local coverage in my home was better. Then they became AT&T with their shoddy business practices.

Moreover, local service has degraded to the point that I had to put in a microcell. Even with the microcell, service was so poor this am that I had to switch to Skype in the middle of a conference call (I could hear them, they could not hear me.)

Now I suppose that there a number of things that might explain this. One is that over the decade since I made the switch, load has increased and cells and back-haul have not.

All that said, I travel internationally and GSM is a must.

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
With the addition of *any* mobile to mobile calling and the option for a $15 data package, instead of $29.99, AT&T is my choice. Simultaneous voice and data is great, but the money that I'm saving compared to Verizon is a huge plus, too.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
At&t - I dont have dropped calls and my data speeds are 2-3 times what Vzn iPhones users seem to get. We all go with whats best works for us individually. Nothing against Big Red.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Verizon
-better coverage where I travel
-99% of the time I have a connection
-I've used Verizon for years without a problem
-speed is worthless when the data connection is either on or off (in my area)
-AT&T service is confusing- I had to change numbers and resign a contract or something since I was changing my billing address.
-nightmares from service in NYC will never, ever let me go back to AT&T

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Verizon
-better coverage where I travel
-99% of the time I have a connection
-I've used Verizon for years without a problem
-speed is worthless when the data connection is either on or off (in my area)
-AT&T service is confusing- I had to change numbers and resign a contract or something since I was changing my billing address.-nightmares from service in NYC will never, ever let me go back to AT&T

I've had At&t since 2000. I moved in 2002 and 2005. Never had to change numbers or resign a contract to make a address change

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
In my region I have good data service with Verizon where it is slow with AT&T and less instances of calls dropped.

We have one customer with 1300 mobile users and they are most satisfied with Verizon and US Cellular. This is an upper Midwest state.

Another of my customers has truck drivers all over the country and sales staff in rural places and they have all become happier with a switch to Verizon. The issue they report is better service when you're not on major highways and the Verizon stores or service does a better job for them.

In defense of AT&T, a few I know are perfectly happy and a few like voice and data at same time. These people do not seem to have the rural and intense travel the others have. Those who do international travel like AT&T more too or they have Verizon international phones.

jnewell

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had Verizon (and its predecessors) phones since 1989. I have had an AT&T Blackberry for ten years. I live in the Boston area. Both have significant coverage problems. I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than the other where I live and work.

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
For me it was a simple choice using my work cubicle for comparison.

IPhone 4 ATT = Searching for signal

IPhone 4 Verizon = full bars

However outside of work I really had no major issues with ATT and to be fair I work in a heavily shielded building that includes 911, Police and Fire dispatch.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
For me it was a simple choice using my work cubicle for comparison.

IPhone 4 ATT = Searching for signal

IPhone 4 Verizon = full bars

However outside of work I really had no major issues with ATT and to be fair I work in a heavily shielded building that includes 911, Police and Fire dispatch.
Local coverage trumps everything, even rate plans. I switched to Cingular from T-Mo after trying a prepaid SIM in my apartment. However, service steadily declined, particularly on data, until I installed my own microcel.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
At&t - I dont have dropped calls and my data speeds are 2-3 times what Vzn iPhones users seem to get. We all go with whats best works for us individually. Nothing against Big Red.

I agree completely. Not to mention the ability to use Data & Voice at the same time. It's truly the best way to use the iPhone (IMHO).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73