AT&T Finally Throttling Data?

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Looks like AT&T is finally throttling data download speeds. I'm stuck at roughly 500 Kbps when I'm usually averaging 2500-3500 Kbps. I've tested my work Aria and Backflip on AT&T's network side-by-side and they are still consistently pulling 1000-2000 Kbps.

I've been watching TV.com & UFC videos lately, along with streaming my music from Rdio vs the iPod and noticed that the videos were skipping and pausing. At first I thought it was just a bad night for AT&T but when it continued the next day 20 miles away, I realized what was going on.

I just recently jailbroke with greenpois0n and have been using My3G for uncompressed streaming but I usually used 5-8GB monthly while I was on Team Pure. This month I'm just under 10GB & the throttling started once I got past 9GB.

My new cycle starts tomorrow and if the throttling is still there, I'm going to call and complain. I haven't read the contract for actual download caps on the unlimited plan, or throttling conditions but I think it's BS.

Anyone else notice throttling lately?

PS-I'm on AT&T I just changed my carrier ;)

(Edit: Tapatalk only attached 2 pics)

Last edited:

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah no, they're not throttling....so yeah no, sorry....

If you're using my3g for uncompressed streaming, for HD videos such as YouTube(an example), it should lag and stutter, thats a buttload for a 2-4mbs/down connection to handle...

But yeah not theyre not throttling.....

Reactions: anon(52425)

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
There can't be any sarcasm in that reply ;)

The UFC in-app videos actually streamed the higher quality quite well. The TV.com and the Price is Right would go for a minute or two before it switched to the "optimized" version. If I paused it and let it load a bit, it would go a little longer. You can hear the sound quality switch when it optimizes as well.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
There can't be any sarcasm in that reply ;)

The UFC in-app videos actually streamed the higher quality quite well. The TV.com and the Price is Right would go for a minute or two before it switched to the "optimized" version. If I paused it and let it load a bit, it would go a little longer. You can hear the sound quality switch when it optimizes as well.

It was laced with sarcasm....:p;)

No seriously though, I think sometimes it just the towers man. They have bad days, this happens once in a blue moon where I am. I've honestly never used below 3gb/month and never once experienced a throttling. And furthermore, if they were throttling, this would be front page stuff on most websites!

If I were you, try a restore and rejailbreak. But honestly, I am gonna bet $100 thats its just your towers near by hitting the turds for a few days!

Reactions: anon(52425)

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I wish it was the towers. Those screen shots are side-by-side tests with my Aria and Backflip done at the same time as my iPhone 4. Unless its iPhone 4 specific, I'm pretty sure I'm being throttled. I'll check my girlfriend's 3GS - my old one ;) - later tonight. I've also done it all over the Bremerton/Port Orchard area, so I'm pretty sure it's different towers.

I haven't heard of this on Twitter or here on TiPb, which I'm sure will be the first to cover it, if it is real. I searched all around last night and hit up some of the top jail breakers I tweet with but nothing.

I'm very conscious of my data download speeds and check them pretty regularly. I was part of the whistle-blowing team when we weren't getting the upload speeds we were supposed to with the iPhone 4.

I have also been sending the Mark the Spot submissions, which in the past would send me back a confirmation sms, but so far out of four, I haven't received anything from AT&T.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I've heard of people using almost 100 GB in a month with no ramifications.

I even put went into safe mode to see if that would change anything but it didn't. If it doesn't stop tomorrow, I'll do a restore and see what happens. Either way I'll post an update. This could be the start of a big problem for the "top 5%" of data users on AT&T.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Verizon is getting 4.7mpbs down ? wow.

I haven't heard anything about throttling down someone's bandwidth but I wouldn't blame them if they did. 10MB is a bit too much and if you complain you may put the idea in their head...

Last edited:

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
So it looks like you were right, I can't explain why it was only my iPhone 4 and not any of the other phones I use on AT&T but my cycle still shows it's on day 28 and my download speed was 4747 Kbps tonight, back to where I'm used to. Very interesting.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I thought AT&T had a 5GB cap on the unlimited plan. But I never saw them say what they did after you hit that cap or that they throttle data at any point. Strange for the OP.

JNHohol

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
FYI - I went to AT&T Monday night and asked about data throttling, which resulted in a quick: "NO, NO, NO!!!" I tried to download SpeetTest.net on their display iPhone 4 to compare, but the demos are locked out now. I could enter my iTunes account but the download button wouldn't appear. None of the employee's would fess up to owning an iPhone 4 but we tested the Atrix, Inspire, and the rep's 3GS. They all were experiencing similar low download speeds. He said that they are working on upgrading the 3G in our area, so that could be reason for the sporadic speeds. In the meantime, I'm going to try to send out a Mark the Spot report every day until it's working again. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods