View Poll Results: What carrier do you have?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Verizon

7 31.82%
  • Att

15 68.18%
  • Verizon but i am going to swtich to att

0 0%
  • ATT but i am going to switch to Verizon

0 0%
    hi there. I have talked to Ally a few times on Twitter about this but i thought i would email a few of you to get your opinions.

I currently have VZ and i am on a family plan with my family and my dad and sister. so we dont pay a ton with them. if it was just my wife and i would not be with VZ, since they are expensive. I want to get the Iphone4 but i am torn between carriers. I was wondering if you could give me your opinions...

with VZ i have great coverage, no dead spots. i am using the droidx which has the best Cell radio if you ask me. but android if boring me. NOTHING is as smooth as iphone...Now with ATT my signal is not that much worse ( i used my sisters BOLD9000 on ATT and went around town to compare signal strengh to my X) the signal (Dbm's) was for the most part the same on both phones , and sometimes VZ was better, sometimes ATT was better. 3G was JUST rolled out about 15 miles south of me, and right in the next town to me, which is a great thing. FINALLY....but i hear it is spotty...

in your opinions, how powerfull is the Iphones cell radio compared to my X and a blackberry? and..since they rolled out 3g right around me, is that a good sign that they may put up a tower somewhere in my area? (currently the lease of other towers in my area below and above me, for some reason). 3g does not matter that much to me, since i am not use to having it anyway

I am also worried that the CDMA Chip in the New Iphone will make battery life worse, and i left the 3gs becasue of the battery life, so as wondering your thoughts on that as well

IF you were me, what would you do??? either way i will have to spend a good amount of cash, if i stay with VZ, i have to pay full retail, if i leave i have to pay VZ the ETF. so the money part will be the same for me. i really value all your opinions, so that is why i emailed you all..

i hope to hear back, im off today and would LOVE to make a decision...

Thanks all!!
    01-19-2011 09:00 AM
    Verizon is going to have what they call 3G (for the techies, that is EVDO, Rev.A) in more places than AT&T has their version of 3G.

Where I live, it's a no-brainer choice. AT&Ts network is sorely lacking outside of a small area here in rural Iowa, where Verizon's is pretty much everywhere.
    01-19-2011 09:29 AM
    If you are with VZW and happy with your coverage, stick with VZW. If you know that coverage in your area is as good with AT&T, then switch.

At this point it is not about the phone, but the coverage where you spend your time (not the next town over or NYC).
    dvigue likes this.
    01-19-2011 09:33 AM
    If you are with VZW and happy with your coverage, stick with VZW. If you know that coverage in your area is as good with AT&T, then switch.

At this point it is not about the phone, but the coverage where you spend your time (not the next town over or NYC).
    Thanks Alli, back last year i got NO 3g up here at all. and my signal was spotty. so it has improved. and ATT is cheaper then VZ. i LOVE the rollover thing.

My biggest concern is, will the VZ phone suck the battery life right out of the phone?
    01-19-2011 09:52 AM
    The Verizon iPhone 4 is reported to have identical battery life to it's GSM sister. So I wouldn't worry about battery life. I agree with the above, stick with Verizon if it works well for you.
    dvigue likes this.
    01-19-2011 09:59 AM
    The Verizon iPhone 4 is reported to have identical battery life to it's GSM sister. So I wouldn't worry about battery life. I agree with the above, stick with Verizon if it works well for you.
    att maps was recelty updated to "best" at my house. last year i was "roaming" or under "partner" towers. so that is a good sign.

the thing is, if my dad and sister ever decided to get out of our family plan we would be paying alot per month compared ot att.

and we can get the cheaper 550 plan and use the roll over minutes...
    01-19-2011 10:02 AM
    I live in very rural, mountainous Kentucky. AT&T is the only option for me (although there is a local provider with poor selection of devices). I had the original iPhone in 2008, and had to immediately return it because of dropped calls. Since then, I've had the Nexus One, which never dropped calls, several BlackBerries, which never dropped calls, and a Samsung Captivate, which would drop a call if I was climbing up a tower.

I went out on a limb last week and ordered the iPhone 4, because a friend said it was a great improvement over the original. Well, it certainly is. Reception is great. No dropped calls. And again, I live in the middle of nowhere. I can continue a call in places where most phones would lose signal entirely. I actually cannot believe how good the signal is.

I too, just had 3G roll out less than 20 miles from me. But, in my EDGE world, there is no problems at all with using the iPhone 4.
    01-19-2011 10:07 AM
    From my experience and from what i've read online...the iPhone 4 has near perfect reception in good markets, but TERRIBLE reception in lesser markets, almost as if the phone itself amplifies the quality of the coverage in a particular area.

As far as switching carriers...if you're enjoying good service where you are with Verizon, then stick with Verizon (if there is no alternative reason for switching carriers)...i think you will see that over the next year or so, the rates and plans on all networks is going to basically plateau, and everyone will be paying around the same amount for the same services...with the exception of a few gimmicks here and there (and obviously the cheaper carriers like MPCS, Boost, etc), i think Sprint may try and undercut the whole market by about $10/month, but they'll also have the lesser attractive phone lineup within that soooo....
    01-19-2011 10:08 AM
    I live in very rural, mountainous Kentucky. AT&T is the only option for me (although there is a local provider with poor selection of devices). I had the original iPhone in 2008, and had to immediately return it because of dropped calls. Since then, I've had the Nexus One, which never dropped calls, several BlackBerries, which never dropped calls, and a Samsung Captivate, which would drop a call if I was climbing up a tower.

I went out on a limb last week and ordered the iPhone 4, because a friend said it was a great improvement over the original. Well, it certainly is. Reception is great. No dropped calls. And again, I live in the middle of nowhere. I can continue a call in places where most phones would lose signal entirely. I actually cannot believe how good the signal is.

I too, just had 3G roll out less than 20 miles from me. But, in my EDGE world, there is no problems at all with using the iPhone 4.
    Thanks Scotty! Yeah, i have ALways been on edge and 3g does not matter to me, as i use WIFI at home...

great info..thanks for the POST!
    01-19-2011 10:09 AM
    From my experience and from what i've read online...the iPhone 4 has near perfect reception in good markets, but TERRIBLE reception in lesser markets, almost as if the phone itself amplifies the quality of the coverage in a particular area.

As far as switching carriers...if you're enjoying good service where you are with Verizon, then stick with Verizon (if there is no alternative reason for switching carriers)...i think you will see that over the next year or so, the rates and plans on all networks is going to basically plateau, and everyone will be paying around the same amount for the same services...with the exception of a few gimmicks here and there (and obviously the cheaper carriers like MPCS, Boost, etc), i think Sprint may try and undercut the whole market by about $10/month, but they'll also have the lesser attractive phone lineup within that soooo....
    Good Point....as i said though, i will have to dish out 650 for the 16 gig phone anyway, so paying ETF's is not diffrent, i will spend about the same, a tad more.
    01-19-2011 10:11 AM
    I still don't see how people use EDGE in any fruitful manner...3G is so monumentally faster with data that, in the event i switch into EDGE on a rural patrol or something, it's almost unusable (and at times IS unusable as the data simply loads too slowly to be used). When that 3G coverage gets to you guys, i think the universe is going to open up for you and you'll see what you've been missing...i assure you AFTER you get the coverage, if you try using EDGE you'll deff have a different approach as far as the level of care you have if your carrier provides 3G, lol.

I honestly think if you wait until about a month after the iP4 hits Verizon, you're going to have ALOT of droid faithful making the switch and then, because of their hard headedness, they'll grow tired of the limitations within a simple jailbreak and they'll sell their newly purchased iPhone for alot less than $650.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 01-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    01-19-2011 10:14 AM
    Thanks Alli, back last year i got NO 3g up here at all. and my signal was spotty. so it has improved. and ATT is cheaper then VZ. i LOVE the rollover thing.

My biggest concern is, will the VZ phone suck the battery life right out of the phone?
    No one will know until they get their hands on the Verizon iPhone. Apple is saying the battery life is the same. Not being an electrical engineer I don't know the power comparisons between a GSM and CDMA radio but I'm sure Apple's engineers have put in the time to ensure they are as equal as possible with the battery they have to work with.

When you say 3G was just rolled out near you, is that AT&T or Verizon? If you are happy with Verizon just stick with them. It's just more headache to switch and then if you don't like AT&T it's yet more pain to switch back.
    01-19-2011 11:25 AM
    I have sprint and I have no issues with them. They have great coverage here, and if I roam, I use Verizion's network. I do pay $10 extra for 4G coverage, so that kind of sucks, even though I do get 4G here.... but meh. Not I blame Clearwire for that, not sprint.
    01-19-2011 01:32 PM
    So let's see...we're comparing Verizon to ATT, and you have neither, Chris. We are also talking about the iPhone, which you also don't have.

Seriously, dude. I don't mean to be rude, but you don't need to comment in every thread. Nobody wants to know about Sprint or roaming onto Verizon.
    01-19-2011 01:49 PM
    I'm a little confused if he has 3G or not. He's on Verizon? But he keeps saying he's used to Edge.

Bottom line, i'd go with whoever has 3G.

BTW..looks like AT&T is doing some tweaking to their plans too. AT&T tweaking messaging plans, killing some upgrade discounts, raising fees and MicroCell pricing -- Engadget
    01-19-2011 06:44 PM
    So let's see...we're comparing Verizon to ATT, and you have neither, Chris. We are also talking about the iPhone, which you also don't have.

Seriously, dude. I don't mean to be rude, but you don't need to comment in every thread. Nobody wants to know about Sprint or roaming onto Verizon.
    Applause!!!! Standing Ovation!!!!
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    01-19-2011 08:34 PM

and I don't mean to be rude, but you do not know what I have.
    Last edited by ChrisGonzales90; 01-20-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    01-20-2011 12:55 AM
    and I don't mean to be rude, but you do not know what I have.
    Sure we do. You got an Evo but couldn't afford an iphone. Dude, you post so much irrelevant info we know too much about you as it is.
    01-20-2011 05:29 AM
    We even know all about your job situation and what jobs you've applied for and not gotten. Please, Chris. Instead of being defensive, just take a break.
    BrindawithanI likes this.
    01-20-2011 06:58 AM
    OP, another thing to consider is that it looks like VZW will still offer "unlimited" data which you will NOT get with AT&T.

Yes, rollover minutes are awesome but with an iPhone, I would probably want unlimited data over rollover. I have AT&T and still have unlimited (and will not be switching carriers as AT&T is awesome in my area)
    01-25-2011 02:25 PM
    Their website is hopeless. It took me a few days before I could even register on it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    02-12-2011 01:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD