International question

motor96

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
When I travel, will I have to just buy a prepaid sim card and put it in my phone or do I need to switch to an international plan with Att for the duration that I am gone and switch back just paying the prorated cost? Thanks :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Depends on a) whether or not your iPhone is unlocked and you can use a prepaid sim, and b) where you're going.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If your phone is not unlocked, you will not be able to use a sim from any carrier other than AT&T so your choices are limited.

You could get a cheap unlocked phone to use while you're traveling, or you could make arrangements to pay the outrageous international roaming charges from AT&T.

If you're traveling on business, your company will pay the charges and it's not a worry.

If you're traveling for pleasure, you can probably go a week without making a phone call. Turn your iPhone on airplane mode when you get on your first flight and leave it there until you get home. Turn on WiFi mode and only use your phone in WiFi areas, and then use Skype for any phone calls you feel compelled to make. This is my preferred method when I go to Europe.

Reactions: motor96

ducky

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I've found the availability of voice sim cards abundant in Europe and the Caribbean, but that only gives you a local number so calling home to the US will still be costly.

As pointed out above, wifi and skype are your friend.

The problem I run into is the lack of data being offered on an unlocked iPhone outside the US. So far the pre-paid sim cards I've found don't allow data. If anyone has a solution to international data please share.

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Done anyone know if you can use Skype over WiFi International on a Verizon iPhone? I know the Skype for Verizon says it does not call FROM International locations but not sure if that applied to iPhones.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
While traveling I have used my iPhone in airplane mode with WiFi and Skype. I have also arranged for the international roaming through AT&T. The roaming was by far the most convenient and wasn't that expensive if you sign-up for it before you use it. I did however avoid using data without wifi. This has worked for me in Europe and Asia.

dinadana

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It depends in which country are you going.
Actually i think that if you travel a lot you can buy one intrnational sim card which be available in many countries. And usually rates of calls are cheaper than if you talk in rouming.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW