Verizon having big announcement Jan 11th in NYC

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I did a speed test this morning and i'm 12-15 mins west of Cleveland in a suburb and got speeds of almost 5 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload ... I'm real happy with AT&T here.. and anywhere else i've been for the most part, more 3G coverage would be nice.. but i'm usually wifi anywhere it's EDGE anyways so who cares lol

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it will work the the super fast Verizon 4g deployed in some markets. Apple stock has been on the march lately. The company now is worth more than Microsoft and is closing on Exxon. The run up could be in anticipation of this and that the iPhone on Verizon's 4g will be by far the hottest setup on earth.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
AT&T definitely better step up their game because Verizon is going to be STACKED with all the latest and greatest Android devices and now an iPhone. In my opinion AT&Ts current crop of Android devices don't even really compare to what Verizon has to offer.

In somewhat related news I'm anxious to see how much better AT&Ts network improves with the less stress it will get from people switching over to Verizon.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
AT&T definitely better step up their game because Verizon is going to be STACKED with all the latest and greatest Android devices and now an iPhone. In my opinion AT&Ts current crop of Android devices don't even really compare to what Verizon has to offer.

In somewhat related news I'm anxious to see how much better AT&Ts network improves with the less stress it will get from people switching over to Verizon.

You don't think the Atrix or any of the newly announced Att Androids compete? I'm buying the Atrix to go along with my i4.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It's to announce the 4G pricing plan... how pissed would the tech world be?

I still don't think it's the iPhone. Or at the very least can't believe it. I agree that this is not the iPhone 5. That's Steve's baby. But if it's a iPhone 4 then I can't see how this is gonna make anybody happy.

If it's an iPhone 4, then what happens in June? Is the iPhone 5 an AT&T exclusive? Then you piss off Verizon users who feel like they're stuck with second rate tech.

OK, then keep the iPhone 4 for another year- then you piss off the AT&T faithful and really hurt the brand.

OK, so then offer a CDMA or LTE iPhone 5 in June. Then you really piss off people who got a iPhone 4 next week.

OK, so then compromise- offer a... iPhone 4GS, just a rewarmed iPhone 4 to make the Verizon users not feel so bad. Then you piss off the AT&T users and Verizon buyers that were waiting. And you have the controversy like the 3GS- that Apple got lazy, but more so since Android is a whole lot more popular then that time.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Or it's the same ol' iPhone 4 and in a few months, they have the option to get an iPhone 5 at it's regular price. Some will be pissed, some will wait knowing there is an iPhone 5 coming around the corner. Someone will be pissed no matter what. And you know what?? It'll still by the millions and that's the end of that.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
You don't think the Atrix or any of the newly announced Att Androids compete? I'm buying the Atrix to go along with my i4.

The Atrix does look great.. but look at what Verizon has/is getting:

Droid X
Droid Bionic
HTC Thunderbolt
Droid Incredible
Droid 2
and I'm sure I forgot a few more etc..

That lineup with a CDMA iPhone beats out AT&Ts lineup without a doubt in my opinion. AT&T could have the same number of choices, but simply put not the same quality.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Droid X
Droid Bionic
HTC Thunderbolt
Droid Incredible
Droid 2

That lineup with a CDMA iPhone beats out AT&Ts lineup without a doubt in my opinion. AT&T could have the same number of choices, but simply put not the same quality.

Remember Att announced 20 Android devices this year. Out of all Android devices, I only care about 1 and that's the Atrix

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Remember Att announced 20 Android devices this year. Out of all Android devices, I only care about 1 and that's the Atrix

Like I said, they could possibly match AT&T in numbers but the quality is not the same.. or at least sure as heck wasn't last year or the year before..

Annnd if you need someone to take that white Torch off your hands, I might be interested for the right price.. :D

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site

Droid X
Droid Bionic
HTC Thunderbolt
Droid Incredible
Droid 2

The funny thing is that the AT&T/Apple monopoly is to blame for this.
The Droid brand was born out of making an iPhone competitor because Verizon finally realized that the A-team might be onto something with the smartphone.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It's to announce the 4G pricing plan... how pissed would the tech world be?

I still don't think it's the iPhone. Or at the very least can't believe it. I agree that this is not the iPhone 5. That's Steve's baby. But if it's a iPhone 4 then I can't see how this is gonna make anybody happy.

If it's an iPhone 4, then what happens in June? Is the iPhone 5 an AT&T exclusive? Then you piss off Verizon users who feel like they're stuck with second rate tech.

OK, then keep the iPhone 4 for another year- then you piss off the AT&T faithful and really hurt the brand.

OK, so then offer a CDMA or LTE iPhone 5 in June. Then you really piss off people who got a iPhone 4 next week.

OK, so then compromise- offer a... iPhone 4GS, just a rewarmed iPhone 4 to make the Verizon users not feel so bad. Then you piss off the AT&T users and Verizon buyers that were waiting. And you have the controversy like the 3GS- that Apple got lazy, but more so since Android is a whole lot more popular then that time.

I still say the fact gizmodo wasn't invited clearly leads to it's the iPhone announcement on vzw, we all know about them and the iPhone in the bar incident last year ....to me it's a no brainer

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Just because they bring an iPhone to verizon doesn't mean they can't bring a new iPhone 5 months later. And those people who are pissed when iPhone 5 comes out only have themselves to blame because if they took the time to research they'd know not to buy an iPhone until June.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If it were an iPad 2 announcement would gizmodo be invited? I would think that iPhone fiasco put gizmodo on the blacklist for all Apple events. And with Verizon trying to hook up with Apple and Apple being controlling, I don't see it as a big stretch for Verizon to blacklist gizmodo as well as a favor to Apple.

Aside from that, I don't think the Verizon iPhone will have the immediate impact that everybody thinks it will have.

I'm on the fence and I'm gonna stay there for a bit more.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Pretty exciting news, good to see more options for the iPhone in the US, I hope it forces at&t to be a little bit more competitive. I will agree with those above though, the Atrix looks like a fantastic device! ... I might have to pick one up just because.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW