Is this possible? (cancel 1 plan/sign up for new one)

tjrtjrtjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

AT&T has upset me a bit. I was told after buying a 3GS in September 09 that I'd be eligible to upgrade at the $199 price point for the 4 in February. I have been waiting patiently and the other day checked again only to see that the date has changed to May (with no notice). The rep and supervisor explained the policy and how the May date fell in line with that policy, but had no explanation as to why someone told me February before. I'm pretty sure they are not going to budge as they have the ability to pass the buck on to Apple (i.e. "We can't do anything about the subsidized price of the phone otherwise we would not be allowed by Apple to carry the phone"). I feel like Apple would say something similar ("We have nothing to do with your cell phone plan, we just sell the hardware"). Such is life.

Here's a plan I thought of and I want to see whether it's viable. Can I cancel my current plan (paying the approx. $100 early termination fee), and then go to an Apple store as a new AT&T customer to begin a new plan with an iPhone 4? The only downside would be the lack of unlimited data, which I'd figure out a way to live with (I use 3-4 GB per month currently on unlimited, so I'd have to find WiFi spots or curb use). Is this legal? Would AT&T somehow find a way to claim I am not eligible to be considered a "new user" in this case? The CSA on the phone said something about a 30-day window but he wasn't sure (at that point I hung up frustrated). I feel like someone on the forums has to know the ins and outs of the situation.

Also, if there's a better way to go from my 3GS to the 4 some time in the next month as opposed to waiting 5 months (my main priorities are getting it done quick, then getting it done cheaper), please advise. I guess some people will say wait to see about a Verizon iPhone (I'll probably wait until the end of the month at least, to see about any announcements), because my best option might be to pay an early termination fee and just jump ship to Verizon.

Any help appreciated.

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Here's what you do. Put your 3GS on ebay and sell it for around $350. At least that what I sold an old one for a couple weeks ago. And upgrade your line to the iPhone 4 16GB (guessing on this size you need) at the $399 price before you ship it off. You might lose a little with the ebay fees and whatever, but if you are willing to spend $100 on an ETF, it shouldnt be a big deal.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Sell your S and use the proceeds to buy the 4 on an early upgrade. If you cancel, it's called churn. You'll have to wait for your final bill to be processed, pay it, then re-act. AT&T can also say you're not a new customer and have you re assume your old contract. Stupid plan, especially if your credit situation has changed since you activated as you could have to pay a deposit now.

Also, go to COR store to buy your 4. If you go to an Auth. Retailer there WILL be an attempt to talk you out of the iPhone as we retailers don't make any $$$$$ when you buy one. Some reps are very aggressive about it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Also, go to COR store to buy your 4. If you go to an Auth. Retailer there WILL be an attempt to talk you out of the iPhone as we retailers don't make any $$$$$ when you buy one. Some reps are very aggressive about it.

funny you say that... a friend of mine went to an auth. retailer right before the iPhone 4 came out. the person who helped her tried to get her to buy a non-smartphone... he said that the "iPhone was junk" and had "major battery issues"

what an A$$. they really need to put a muzzle on those people..

of course you are not like that, are you.. totalimmortal?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234