AT&T and Good Techonlogy/DataPro Enterprise

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
My company is now offering access to our personal smartphones (including iPhones) to our email and calenders. However, to get access we need to use a Good Technology app and they indicate in their corporate email to everyone that AT&T requires a DataPro Enterprise packae which costs an additional $10/month to be added on.

I remember Good Techology back in the Treo days but never used it. I also remember people indicating that you really do not need to add on any data packages above and beyond the standard one. I know nothing about the Good Tachnology app and wish we could just access through Exchange, but apparently that is not an option.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have placed an order into my company for the Good Techology app and await approval. I am not sure if they will send me a link or how I actually get it on my iphone, but we'll see. I just know that I do not want to pay an additional $10/month for access.

Thanks in advance!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what they are doing now, but in the past you did need a special plan for Good. We used Good with our Domino network for Palms and Windows Mobile phones.

You don't need it right away, but we had plenty of users that Good worked great until Good ran a data compare of the users and the plans then they stopped service until it was added to their plans.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Is there any downside to trying it without upgrading my plan? I do not want to pay anything out of my pocket and don't actually need access - it would just be nice. When Good stopped service, did it just stop pushing emails, etc. to the device or does corporate get involved?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Well I am on the corporate team so I was always involved :)

The end user would just stop getting mail pushed to the device. From what I remember Good would do a true up with the vendor and compare it to the registered users on the server.

In order to use Good an account needs to be set up for you at your corporation. So if you are able to get one set up go for it. Worst case you uninstall the app and no harm done.

MachoDonut

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Good will work fine with your regular data plan. ATT always says that, but in reality you don't. Verizon customers with Android phones have to upgrade to the Enterprise data plan the same way a Verizon BB user has to upgrade their plan to get on a BES.

You get the Good app from the App Store. You would then need an account created for you on your company's GTES. The pros of using Good for your work mail is that it keeps everything separate from your personal accounts. If your work decides to perform a remote wipe, it will just wipe the data in the Good app and not your entire phone.
The cons are that it is another mail app you have to check. It has crappy HTML support. It breaks mail widgets (on Android and jailbroken iPhones). And your work mail will run thru Good's noc, just like RIM.

It's not as seamless as EAS, but it's really not that bad if you have to use it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner