I'm sorry, but I do not understand why AT&T charges for IMs from apps that connect to Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger or AIM. Regardless if using YM and MSN's own native apps or 3rd party ones, such as ebuddy Pro and IM+ Pro, AT&T still charges per IM sent.

These apps are data-centric, like safari, Twitter clients or any number of web apps. Strange is I do not get charges for GTalk from ebuddy pro, yet yahoo! messenger does.

I'm having to pay for an extra 1500 text messages, to avoid being charged per IM.

And now that Yahoo! messenger for iphone now allows video and calls, will these be charged as MMS?

I just feel I'm being charged for something that should be covered by the data plan.

I'm using iPhone 4 and get same results with Yahoo! messenger, Windows Live messenger, eBuddy Pro, and IM+ Pro

Best regards,

Rodney
    10-12-2010 10:36 AM
    i was unaware that AT&T deducts im's from your text messaging plan and if i had to guess i'd say this was not true. but to be sure, have you called AT&T and asked?
    10-12-2010 11:56 AM
    Those IM apps use data. I'm sure you don't get charged as per SMS for each message you send.

You can even try to connect to wifi only and the apps still work. Cause it's data based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-12-2010 12:49 PM
    I'm positive. AT&T has it costing $.20 per IM sent and received unless using a messaging package (their 1500 or unlimited messaging options). I'm currently using their 1500 plan. The idea was to avoid SMS charges when talking with overseas friends. We now using Twitter direct messages for that.

I did contact AT&T support and they confirmed this. Like you I figured this is data. I told support I can remove the sim card entirely and still send via wifi which shows this is data apps. They said this is their policy and directed me to the support pages, which u can find as wel.

From their wireless.AT&T.com site:

Symptom:
    IM
    Instant Message
    IM Client
    Mobile IM Charges
    Mobile Instant Messaging Charges
    AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
    Yahoo! Messenger
    MSN Messenger

Instructions:
    IMPORTANT: The cost for using Instant Messaging via the wireless phone depends on the*function.* Please refer to the*following chart to determine how Instant*Messenger is billed*when using

Mobile IM or AT&T IM.*****

Billed as SMS**
    Sending message
    Receiving message
    Alerts

Billed as Data***
    Downloading IM application
    Application update
    Add/remove/update contacts
    Change preferences

Non-billable****
    Signing In
    Signing Out

**You are charged $0.20 for each message you send and receive unless you are on a Text/Instant Messaging package.
    **All usage counts towards included rate plan Megabytes.
    ***Data availability is required and is not billed
    Last edited by RodneyJ725; 10-12-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Additional information
    10-12-2010 12:55 PM
    Those IM apps use data. I'm sure you don't get charged as per SMS for each message you send.

You can even try to connect to wifi only and the apps still work. Cause it's data based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also can, as you described, and told AT&T support the same. Their response: we charge per message if it is sent via our 3G service, just as we do for SMS."

In other words, they don't want to lose SMS $ by people using IM. This can't be happening just in VA. You may want to check your bill to see if there is a number associated with each message being sent. This is how I found this happening.
    Last edited by RodneyJ725; 10-12-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    10-12-2010 01:06 PM
    My wife and I send and receive about 2500 to 3000 SMS/MMS per month. $30 Unlimited plan FTW.
    10-26-2010 01:49 PM
    My wife and I send and receive about 2500 to 3000 SMS/MMS per month. $30 Unlimited plan FTW.
    From each other or your kid?
    10-26-2010 02:44 PM
    I'm at about 1350 on my 1500 messaging plan. But most are from IM, not SMS, I use yahoo as my friends are all in Asia, and thAT&T international SMS plan only covers 100.

This is how I discovered their IM policy. When I saw IM were being counted against my 1500 (SMS always has a phone number listed while IM just says text message and no phone number associated).
    10-27-2010 08:58 AM
    It really is unfortunate that AT&T sets out their plans in that way
    10-27-2010 08:33 PM
    From each other or your kid?
    No kids. Just the two of us...plus a lot of friends.
    10-28-2010 06:10 PM
    Somehow this has to figure in with the whole net neutrality thing, because you are right, data is data and they are clearly treating this data differently.

Only thing I can think of is what app are you using?

If it were something like ebuddy I could see that getting around this because you aren't connected to an IM server, you are connected to ebuddys server and that is connected to the IM servers. so in theory the traffic between your phone and ebuddy is just app traffic. Give that a try?
    12-24-2010 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD