Cellular signal repeater/amplifier

hbcbob573

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, some backstory: I have, at most, one bar in certain spots in my home and around my property. In the majority of places I have no bars. I have been looking at cellular signal boosters.

So my questions are:

Will a cellular repeater/amplifier increase the number of bars I can see on my phone, or will it just make the single bar occur more often?

What are your personal experiences with them?

Are they worth the $$$?

Thanks!

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I live in a neighborhood with crappy service. I bought the larger one from think geek and works fairly well. Only in one room effectively though. It's not going to give great service suddenly, but it is much better. It helps a LOT with texting.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
if your on AT&T you can buy a microcell to give you 3G in all of your home

you plug it into your DSL and boom instant 5 bar 3G for i believe 100 feet radius

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Repeaters and amplifiers can be helpful, but they are definitely more expensive than going the route of the femtocell (ie, AT&T Network Extender). Basically you'd set up an outside antenna, run the coax inside into a box which would broadcast it into your home. If your signal outside is not good, then there's not much for the repeater to repeat or amplify. In short they can't bring you signal if you don't get good signal outside as it is. If you are in the states and on AT&T, you can get the Network Extender. I use one, and it's been a godsend for me. It gives you coverage of up to 5000 square feet, or around 40 feet in any direction depending on walls and obstructions.

hbcbob573

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Repeaters and amplifiers can be helpful, but they are definitely more expensive than going the route of the femtocell (ie, AT&T Network Extender). Basically you'd set up an outside antenna, run the coax inside into a box which would broadcast it into your home. If your signal outside is not good, then there's not much for the repeater to repeat or amplify. In short they can't bring you signal if you don't get good signal outside as it is. If you are in the states and on AT&T, you can get the Network Extender. I use one, and it's been a godsend for me. It gives you coverage of up to 5000 square feet, or around 40 feet in any direction depending on walls and obstructions.

How is a network extender different? And what are the cost differences?

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
An AT&T Network Extender is $150, whereas repeaters and amplifiers that are any good are going to be more in the $500-$1000 range depending on your needs. The Network Extender is basically a personal cell tower in your home. Rather than your phone having to connect to a cell tower to get your service, it connects to the Network Extender which you will hook up to your broadband router. The Network Extender is 3G only, so it won't work with non 3G at&t phones, but since you're on TiPb I assume you have 3G. It works for voice and data. It works great for me. My apartment is basically a cellular black hole, no companies get service because I'm somewhat in the mountains. Inside, I was bouncing between one bar and "No Service". After getting the network extender I have 5 bars always when I'm in my home.

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
never assume some people still use iPhone 2g

Yes but he also mentioned in another thread how iOS 4 is working for him, which is not compatible with the first gen iPhone. I put that disclaimer in mostly for other people looking in on the thread.

boweveljoe

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you use Femtocell in your home and have a limited data plan does it charge you for data against your 2 gigs even though you are using your internet to run the femtocell?

Jasond

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I just bought a Microcell on Monday. I first tried to get one for free of course however AT&T was not budging and I didn't care to waste anymore time. So I went to the store paid the $150, went home hooked it up, and in 90 minutes I had 5 bars when I normally had maybe 1.

When you first get home it takes a few seconds to connect but once it does it works well. If you sign up for a $20 a month plan which gives you umlimited calling when on the Microcell you can get the Microcell for $50. I decided to just pay the $150 and use the minutes I pay for already.

You can connect to the Microcell and wifi at the same time so there is no issue there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit