Wished you hadn't gotten rid of that unlimited AT&T data plan?

leigh

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Though the thread was targeted to those who may have gave up their unlimited data plan, this information is also helpful for those who may have recently signed up with AT&T.

I can confirm that the instructions does work. I recently purchased an iPhone 4 and was limited to the 2GB data plan. I purchased an iPhone 2G from craigslist and followed the instructions in the first post and I now have unlimited data. The only downside is I'm stuck with an iPhone 2G. However, that's a decent trade-off for unlimited data.

Thanks for the info.

So you used this method recently? I would need to use a 2g, and then could move to a newer iphone correct? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

d23perry#IM

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So you used this method recently? I would need to use a 2g, and then could move to a newer iphone correct? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Yes, the prescribed method was used this week and it took less than an hour for the change to take effect.

I placed my iPhone 4 Sim card in the restored iPhone 2G and connected the 2G phone to iTunes. iTunes treated the phone like a new account requiring activation. It prompted me to choose the data plan (here's where you will choose the unlimited plan). A few minutes later, I received a pop-up on the 2G phone indicating the phone was activated. I returned the iPhone 4 Sim card to it's rightful owner. About 10 mins later I checked my data usage and it showed I used xxx of unlimited data. By morning, AT&T sent me a message indicating that I did not have the correct data plan for my phone and moved me from what I assume was the iPhone non-3G unlimited data plan to the iPhone 3G unlimited data plan.

The entire process was much simpler than anticipated.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I just went from an unlimited BlackBerry plan to the iPhone. I was very surprised that AT&T allowed me to transfer unlimited plan to the iPhone but I'm sure glad they did. I changed all the other BlackBerry users in the family to the cheapest data plan since none of them even come close to the data limit.

Chris71

May 16, 2010
Visit site
the wife and I are both keeping the unlimited data plan that we have had for years, we had contemplated switching it to a lower plan and then the netflix app came out lol.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i fought like hell when i got my new iphone to get my unlimited back
long story short my 3gs got stolen so went to my razr which didnt need data then when the ip4 came out i had to call regional management at AT&T to get my unlimited back

im glad i did last month i used 11gb mostly because of netflix while waiting for my ride to get off work

LONGJON

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
This procedure still works because I still use it to close sales when a customer wants to go with any new smartphone on at&t and wants the unlimited smartphone data plan.

LONGJON

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I just went from an unlimited BlackBerry plan to the iPhone. I was very surprised that AT&T allowed me to transfer unlimited plan to the iPhone but I'm sure glad they did. I changed all the other BlackBerry users in the family to the cheapest data plan since none of them even come close to the data limit.

If you're an existing smartphone user with the unlimited data plan it will be grandfathered in if you upgrade to any new smartphone.

LONGJON

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Though the thread was targeted to those who may have gave up their unlimited data plan, this information is also helpful for those who may have recently signed up with AT&T.

I can confirm that the instructions does work. I recently purchased an iPhone 4 and was limited to the 2GB data plan. I purchased an iPhone 2G from craigslist and followed the instructions in the first post and I now have unlimited data. The only downside is I'm stuck with an iPhone 2G. However, that's a decent trade-off for unlimited data.

Thanks for the info.

Actually you're not stuck with the iPhone 2G all you need to do is go to an at&t store and show them you want to do a IMEI swap from a 2G to your iPhone 4 and you will be able to get the smartphone unlimited data plan for $30

djqstorm

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you need a new sim inactivated sim card for this to work? I tried using the sim on my existing account and it will not work at all.

Any ideas?!

amg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I still have my iPhone unlimited plan and I'm scratching my head as to "why" - Despite what I thought was very heavy use, I can't seem to use much more than 1.3-1.5 GB per month... And with the iPad, much of my usage has been "device shifted" - I think the unlimited plan only really pays off if you're planning to stream video.

Nycegye

Dec 23, 2010
www.facebook.com
I hope this method still works but Dang AT&T! How you gonna try to be contenders and limit us our usage! I was soo upset because once I switched, and wanted to go back now I'm looking over my back to make sure I'm not constantly going over. Please let us be free to browse as much and stream non-stop on the go. Love Warren :)

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm really confused as to which SIM you need to use. If I currently have an iPhone 4 with a data plan (200 mb) and I have a SIM adapter, can I just activate the 2G iPhone with my current SIM or do I need to buy a "new" un-used SIM? Can someone please clarify?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so glad i kept my unlimited. the additional $ and data far outweigh anything at&t currently has to offer, for me anyways

i wonder if they will bring it back to help keep any customers who might be on the verizon fence

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I kept unlimited data but never exceeded 1.6Gb's in a month. I just keep it to be safe since its only $5 extra

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR