I have 3 lines on my account, 2 are elligible for an upgrade, neither of them is my line. I used my upgrade for an Iphone 4 on tuesday, used it, loved it, then I was offered 600 cash for it, I gladly took it figuring I could use my other lines upgrade to get myself a new Iphone 4 when back in stock.

I was contacted by the same buyer telling me he would pay me 750 for a 32gb, I decided to pre order a 32 gig to sell him, and a 16 gb for myself to keep. At the store I mentioned to the employee my intentions(possibly a dumb idea?) and he suggested I leave the data plan on the other lines for 2 months because he said if I didnt, att could charge me full price for the device if they found I just got it and sold it.

My question is, can they really do this? I am being told hey you can buy this phone for 200 or 300 bucks, with nothing as far as I know in the contract about having to keep that plan and phone for X amount of time...so can they actually turn around and do this??

I have my grandparents on my other 2 lines and they dont want texting, data, nothing, just minutes, so I def dont want to give them that plan that they wont be using.

Any input or similar situations out there?
    07-02-2010 09:51 AM
    You should have kept your mouth shut about your intentions. I would suspect they can do this since they are selling you a subsidized phone and you are flipping it for mad profit. Find out their written policy.
    07-02-2010 10:10 AM
    At the store I mentioned to the employee my intentions(possibly a dumb idea?)
    BTW..i think you settled too low. You only got 600?
    07-02-2010 10:16 AM
    BTW..i think you settled too low. You only got 600?
    I thought I may be able to get more on ebay, but I never used ebay, craigs is easy, instant, and 600 was still great profit for me, it was only a 16gb I sold, he offered 750 for the 32gb.
    07-02-2010 10:20 AM
    Absolutely they can and will do that. They subsidized the price of the phone by $400 with your commitment to a two year contract on that phone, which they require a data plan with. You're basically stealing money from AT&T in this little scheme.
    07-02-2010 10:20 AM
    I thought I may be able to get more on ebay, but I never used ebay, craigs is easy, instant, and 600 was still great profit for me, it was only a 16gb I sold, he offered 750 for the 32gb.
    600 is the retail price. These things are hard to get right now. You got screwed.
    07-02-2010 10:27 AM
    Absolutely they can and will do that. They subsidized the price of the phone by $400 with your commitment to a two year contract on that phone, which they require a data plan with. You're basically stealing money from AT&T in this little scheme.
    So its ok for them to charge an arm and leg for their plan and data and to gouge us for money but if we have a chance to make a little extra they frown on that? Not so good PR IMO.

If they try to charge me full price for the device, Ill simply say ok, pay them, and tell them I would like to rip up that 2 year agreement I just signed, and will be on my way to Verizon where I will wait for them to get an Iphone,or maybe Id go to Sprint who has good services just crappy phones which I could deal with as they are much cheaper, simple as that, if they take away my subsidized price, I do not think the 2 year agreement still holds.
    07-02-2010 10:46 AM
    They can't do it. All they care about is getting a gauranteed monthly payment from you. Don't worry about it.
    07-02-2010 12:35 PM
    i seen the 32 go for $1149.99 on eBay. This seller already sold one at that price:
    Brand New Apple iphone 4 4G 32GB In Stock Worldwide 32G - eBay (item 110553218805 end time Jul-09-10 11:51:13 PDT)
    07-02-2010 02:09 PM
    We've got the family plan maxed out - four family members and the mother-in-law. When my son lost his 3Gs we replaced it by upgrading the mother-in-law account to an iPhone. That phone went to my son and we cancelled the data-plan on the MIL account. I was up-front with AT&T and they had no issues with this maneuver.

Read the fine print to see if you're violating anything. I suspect you'll get away with it but I would not advertize.
    07-02-2010 02:13 PM
    Don't worry about it, if you manage your account online without going into the store you can do pretty much whatever you want - add/subtract features, add/change phones, etc. And you'll never have to speak to an AT&T rep about anything.
    07-02-2010 02:42 PM
    ^^I do manage my account online, I did however preorder the Iphones in store and they said they will call me when they arrive, maybe I should have done it online? I never even thought of that...

KGvickers, Thank you for sharing, I am glad to hear this as I was worried when the employee told me they may charge me full price but I am wondering if he suggested keeping the data plan simply because he may get some sort of commission depending how long I keep the plan since he was upgrading me? Im not sure maybe, it was definitely stupid of me to tell the guy, I am too honest thats for sure.

And WOW. 1200 bucks. Unreal. I would love to get something close to that, I am just afraid if I put it on there and I get less or close to the 750 the guy offered for the 32GB that I will get screwed in that way. I did check ebay and I check ones "ending soonest" and I havent seen any over 900 today at least, some sat without bids, and some were at 770 or 820 here and there.
    07-02-2010 02:43 PM
    Try it! But if they charge you full bore and throw in the $350 ETF, don't come whining for sympathy.

Let's see $299 for the phone, $400 to bring it up to full price and $350 ETF. Heck you only had a $50 margin if they hit you with full price. So if they hit you with the ETF you're $300 in the hole, and with no iPhone. At that point, I'm sure even AT&T will flag your account.

They give you the contract in writing, read it, and make sure that it is the current one. And thanks for hosing things up for the rest of us, who try to play by the rules.
    07-02-2010 03:11 PM
    Try it! But if they charge you full bore and throw in the $350 ETF, don't come whining for sympathy.

Let's see $299 for the phone, $400 to bring it up to full price and $350 ETF. Heck you only had a $50 margin if they hit you with full price. So if they hit you with the ETF you're $300 in the hole, and with no iPhone. At that point, I'm sure even AT&T will flag your account.

They give you the contract in writing, read it, and make sure that it is the current one. And thanks for hosing things up for the rest of us, who try to play by the rules.
    jeez, someone sounds like they are CEO of ATT...

...do whatever u want with YOUR iPhone 4 OP
    07-02-2010 03:29 PM
    jeez, someone sounds like they are CEO of ATT...

...do whatever u want with YOUR iPhone 4 OP
    Yeah really negative nancy!

how can they hit me with an ETF when I plan to keep the contract I sign and keep the service? Im not planning on leaving, if they decided to charge full price for the phone I would just say ok, pay it, and say im taking my 2 lines that are out of contract and im leaving your service for free with no ETF. And my other line I will keep for the year untill it runs out next July.

Im not messing anything up for anyone! lol and I wont be crying on the forums later trust me, if they charge me full retail thats fine ill pay it, but they cant charge me full retail and make me honor the new 2 year agreement I signed, because why did I re-up if they were charging me full price? Wouldnt make sense!
    07-02-2010 04:04 PM
    They can't do really much to you but hey...you are getting in a real messy business for FREE...you are giving that iPhone Retail Price, so what's the point?!
    07-03-2010 01:55 AM
    im guessing they can
    07-03-2010 02:54 AM
    Yeah really negative nancy!

how can they hit me with an ETF when I plan to keep the contract I sign and keep the service? Im not planning on leaving, if they decided to charge full price for the phone I would just say ok, pay it, and say im taking my 2 lines that are out of contract and im leaving your service for free with no ETF. And my other line I will keep for the year untill it runs out next July.

Im not messing anything up for anyone! lol and I wont be crying on the forums later trust me, if they charge me full retail thats fine ill pay it, but they cant charge me full retail and make me honor the new 2 year agreement I signed, because why did I re-up if they were charging me full price? Wouldnt make sense!
    So you're going to keep the iPhone 4 plan, with required data package, for the two year term so you can sell the phone you got for face value? I hope you aren't a business person in real life, because that is a horrible deal. You will be thousands in the hole after those two years.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand, but you signed a contract with AT&T when you bought the phone. In this contract, AT&T agreed to subsidize the cost of your phone by $400 and you agreed to keep your line of service for 2 years. If you renege on that contract, they have the right (by the contract you signed) to charge you for the full price of the phone and/or the early termination fee. Don't get down on AT&T about this practice, because every major carrier does this with the latest and greatest phones.
    07-03-2010 11:44 AM
    So you're going to keep the iPhone 4 plan, with required data package, for the two year term so you can sell the phone you got for face value? I hope you aren't a business person in real life, because that is a horrible deal. You will be thousands in the hole after those two years.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand, but you signed a contract with AT&T when you bought the phone. In this contract, AT&T agreed to subsidize the cost of your phone by $400 and you agreed to keep your line of service for 2 years. If you renege on that contract, they have the right (by the contract you signed) to charge you for the full price of the phone and/or the early termination fee. Don't get down on AT&T about this practice, because every major carrier does this with the latest and greatest phones.
    THOUSANDS?? what an over exagerration! ...
    07-06-2010 02:49 PM
    You should have kept your mouth shut about your intentions.
    nike air jordan retro
    sup wit that link SPAMMER!
    07-13-2010 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD