Wifi vs 3g

stevent

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me the difference between wifi & 3g? Is 3g faster than wifi? And 3g is a paid service while wifi is free right?

JustinSaneV2

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Wi-Fi = a wireless connection to your home Internet and/or Internet provided by businesses such as McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. The same as having your home computer/laptop/smartphone hooked up to your modem but instead of using wires you're using a wireless connection. The range provided by a wireless router tends to be very minimal.

3G = a "cellular" wireless connection where you connect to the Internet via a cellular service provider's signal (AT&T, Sprint, etc). Anywhere you can get a signal on your phone you can access the Internet via 3G. To use 3G internet you must either have a mobile phone with a data plan or a 3G access card (USB stick) provided by a cellular company for your computer/laptop.

Wi-Fi connections tend to be quite a bit faster than 3G connections but there are variables such as the base speed of the Internet connection, the wireless technology being used (B/G/N), and how far away you are from the transmitting device. Most Wi-Fi connections are free except for those generally found in hotels and airports. If you have a Wi-Fi connection at home then of course it will be free.

Last edited:

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
hmm, thanks JustinSaneV2's post, I've got some difference wifi from 3G.
Wi-Fi connections tend to be quite a bit faster than 3G connections? a little confused.
And I read this article 'Tips to Turn iPad Wifi Into 3G' read can turn wifi to 3G, seems interesting.:rolleyes:

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
^^Say for example, you are at home and your router is using the 802.11g which could be up to 54Mbps while 3g could be up to 14.4 mbps only.

MBPS stands for megabits per second and it is also known as the speed of a data transfer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods