Anyone Have Tethering on AT&T Yet?

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Has anyone gotten tethering working legitimately on AT&T? I keep looking at my account on their site and see the limited data plans, but no mention of tethering. I have no interest in calling customer service where I expect the rep will a) have never heard of it and/or b) screw up my account while trying to do it.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
When I turned Internet Tethering on and connected it to my laptop, it changd to "Set Up Internet Tethering". When I tapped that, it has a pop-up saying "To enable tethering on this account, contact AT&T at 611 or visit http://www.att.com/mywireless". I went to the website but did not see an option to add tethering.

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I changed my data plan online to one of the tethering plans but im still seeing the "set up tethering" option on my phone, i dont get it either, but i only upgraded because of this!! I need my tether lol

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
No way I've give up my unlimited plan as an existing AT&T customer for teether with 2GB of DATA! Uh Uh, not on your life!

Just remember if you have an existing unlimited account once you change, you can't go back! Is teethering really worth it with 2GB?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Same here. I am not giving up unlimited data for the time being. However, if AT&T were to offer 5 gigs with tethering at 40 bucks, then I would change.

So to answer your question, no, no tethering for me.

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Nope!!

Im not giving up my unlimited either!! I am just going to jailbreak when it becomes available and then I have unlimited tethering!!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I prefer the cord cause it keeps the iPhone charged and is generally more reliable/faster.
Good point. Of course, it only works for a PC. (PDANet, for example, works for any WiFi device.)

Only WiFi can work with the iPad, only because Apple does not provide a Bluetooth profile.

Last edited:

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Follow-up: forgot to post here when I was finally able to get AT&T's site to show me the option for the tethering plan. So I joined, and it works just as well as it did back in the days when I used to use that hack that enabled the native tethering support. The price is absurd, but I benefit from it constantly and it's totally reliable and fast to turn on and off, not like PDANet.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Follow-up: forgot to post here when I was finally able to get AT&T's site to show me the option for the tethering plan. So I joined, and it works just as well as it did back in the days when I used to use that hack that enabled the native tethering support. The price is absurd, but I benefit from it constantly and it's totally reliable and fast to turn on and off, not like PDANet.

Yeah that one minute it takes to start up mywi, pdanet, netshare or handlight light really dampers my day.... :cool::p;)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

Do I understand correctly that one cannot have the tethering option on the unlimited data plan?

Can you turn the tethering option on and off (at $20/pop)?

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Do I understand correctly that one cannot have the tethering option on the unlimited data plan?

Can you turn the tethering option on and off (at $20/pop)?
I know you can't be on the unlimited plan and have tethering, and you can never go back to the unlimited plan again once you've gone off it. But I haven't played around with canceling and restarting the service. It's $20/mo. and if you start in the middle of your billing cycle they pro-rate it based on wherever you are in your month. When I joined they gave me the choice of starting right away and paying for whatever percentage of the current month was left, or holding off and having it become active with the next billing cycle.

You should be able to add it and take it away from your plan on a monthly basis, like you can change your texting plan, etc. It doesn't require a new contract or anything to change the options, if that's what you mean.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I got tethering a few weeks after launch of 4...i've really enjoyed having it (having been a clearwire mobile internet customer before, this is just better all around). Connection speed is good, and i avoid up/downloading too much while tethered, its mainly just for email and web surfing...

The first month i ended up using about 3gb, so i was charged the extra $10 on top of the data plan...but heres the kicker, the tethering plan for 2gb per month was only $5/month MORE than i was paying for the unlimited plan without tethering ($30/month)...so technically, i got 3GB of data service with tethering for $15 extra per month over my old rate...if im really using it alot, id prob see 4GB of usage max...so you're talking $25 over my previous plan with NO tethering...

In my case, i was paying $30/month for clearwire with spotty service and alot of downtime...not to mention a VERY limited coverage area (even being literally in midtown ATL 90% of the time)...to me, the iPhone tethering has been a good value, and exceptional in usability.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think it's wrong that we would have to change our plan and lose the unlimited data AND I think it's wrong to have to pay for the used data TWICE! If I've paid for the phones data the I shouldn't have to pay twice to use the same data! My .02

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think it's wrong that we would have to change our plan and lose the unlimited data AND I think it's wrong to have to pay for the used data TWICE! If I've paid for the phones data the I shouldn't have to pay twice to use the same data! My .02
The first bit costs you $20-. This month and next month and the month after that.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner