Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more! | Order: AirPods 2 | New iPhones
  1. StatCoder's Avatar
    Here's what I get when I check my eligibility for a an ugrade to iPhone 4 via the Apple Store:

    32 GB : Black
    AT&T Wireless Account
    2-year contract required
    Upgrade Fee waived:
    You may qualify to purchase this iPhone for $499.00 on:
    November 28, 2010

    I've had my 3GS for a little less than a year so my full upgrade eligibility doesn't come around until Feb 2011. However, this looks like the no-commitment price - with a commitment required. Anyone want to bet that I'll have to agree to the standard ETF fee for a 2 year contract?

    I'm on the Nation 200 plan with the $30/mo. data so I figure I still should qualify for the early-upgrade discount of $200, right? Does this make sense?
    Last edited by StatCoder; 06-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    06-21-2010 12:54 PM
  2. Behshad's Avatar
    Based on the info you gave, your actual upgrade shouldve been $499.
    06-21-2010 12:55 PM
  3. StatCoder's Avatar
    After a call to Apple, they are saying that the no-commitment price is what you get when it hasn't been a year since your last upgrade. The thing is that everyone due for an upgrade in 2010 gets $400 off right now. I'm due in Feb 2011. I guess I'll have to wait until AT&T decides to push up the upgrade date rather than pay the $250 per month penalty for not having my upgrade date in 2010 (I'm six weeks late).
    06-22-2010 11:07 AM
  4. StatCoder's Avatar
    I'm now just over one year on my 3GS plan. I'm hoping that when AT&T opens up their iPhone 4 order system, I will be at least eligible for an early upgrade price of $200 off the no-committment price. If not, then I'll just have to wait until AT&T decides to push forward the regular upgrade date for the rest of us who aren't eligible in 2010.
    06-28-2010 09:37 AM
  5. OKCChuck's Avatar
    Probably shouldn't have got the 3GS then. My view is, every two years, I'll upgrade. Got the 3G, basically same thing as 3GS, minus a couple of things.. i4 has a couple of features 3GS doesn't.. and whenever they release next generation next year, it'll be slightly better than i4, so i can wait for the sixth generation.
    06-28-2010 09:45 AM
  6. StatCoder's Avatar
    I don't have any problem paying $200 more for an early upgrade if I've only had my 3GS for a year. However, I do have a problem paying $400 more than people who bought a first-day 3GS a couple of months earlier than I did, especially, if I have to sign a 2 year contract with an ETF fee in addition to paying the no-committment price ($699 for the 32 GB). Actually, what I really don't want is to pay the no-committment price and then find out that AT&T announces an early upgrade for the rest of us 2 months later for $400 less.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 06-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    06-28-2010 10:06 AM
  7. ghostface147's Avatar
    If you get the phone at the full retail price, you must get a two year contract. However an ETF doesn't apply. It only applies if you get any kind of subdized pricing.
    06-28-2010 10:09 AM
  8. Smlk's Avatar
    Understand. My daughter wants to upgrade and is due 1/11/11. That's right- 11 days! For 11 days she has to wait until next year! It sucks.
    06-28-2010 10:33 AM
  9. StatCoder's Avatar
    Understand. My daughter wants to upgrade and is due 1/11/11. That's right- 11 days! For 11 days she has to wait until next year! It sucks.
    To be accurate, for those 11 days the price of her iPhone 4 is $400 more, right now. One would expect AT&T to announce some kind of early upgrade for people who are beyond 2010, however, that's likely to be months from now. I think AT&T had some kind of quarter-by-quarter schedule for early upgrades last year.

    All I know is that I paid $300 for my upgrade from 3G to 3GS 32GB so I'm surprised to find that my upgrade from 3GS to 4 32GB is going to be $700 until further notice.
    06-28-2010 10:46 AM