Semi-Complicated question on ATT iPhone purchase

jtravis

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 family lines with ATT. 2 lines are eligible for upgrade but the 3rd line is not as I bought a Blackberry Bold 9700 back in November on that line.

I no longer want the Bold 9700 because I want to get the new iPhone when it is released. I want to use one of lines eligible for upgrade when the new iPhone is released in order to purchase the iPhone as a replacement for the Bold 9700.

I understand ATT forces the $30 data plan on the line that has the iPhone; can I cancel the data plan 30 days after purchase for the line that was upgraded?

Of course I will keep a data plan on the line that is actually using the iPhone as I do now with the Blackberry.

I hope I haven't made this sound complicated; in simple terms all I'm wanting to do is use one of my family line upgrades to get the iPhone for the line that is not eligible for an upgrade. I just need advice on how to do this.

Thanks for your help! (I hope to join the iPhone family soon :))

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Talk with a customer service rep..you should be able to use the upgrade on another line for the iphone, and since they know your doing that, you won't have to put the data plan on any line, except the one you use the iphone on. But to answer your question...you could cancel the data plan the same day, and not violate the terms, provided you don't use the iPhone on that line.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Yep, what Shutter said. Just let the rep know that you're planning to use the iPhone on a different line from the beginning. They don't care.

jtravis

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I will follow your advice. Can you answer this for me though, When I upgraded to my Bold 9700 I wanted to use a different line because it had a $50 discount but the rep said he couldn't upgrade like that because of the data plan requirements. He told me on a smartphone you must upgrade the line that is being used (or swap sim cards).

Is there a different rule with the iPhone or did I just get a bad rep that didn't know?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73