AT&T Service - kinda sucks so far!!!

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Good to see a little AT&T love in this thread. Personally I think a lot (not all) people will read a thread or a news story about AT&T being bad and then pile on the "hate AT&T" wagon, because that's the popular thing to do, without even having any first hand experience.

appliancemedic

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok I am in the Dayton Ohio area and switch to ATT and the Iphone in Jan of this year. I had a lot of drop calls plus slow data. This is not bashing ATT just the facts .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Good to see a little AT&T love in this thread. Personally I think a lot (not all) people will read a thread or a news story about AT&T being bad and then pile on the "hate AT&T" wagon, because that's the popular thing to do, without even having any first hand experience.

I've always stated that threads such as this one are pointless. The quality of the carrier service is totally dependable on your location. So what is the point of a thread like this? I have no idea... ;)

sharpshooter

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok I am in the Dayton Ohio area and switch to ATT and the Iphone in Jan of this year. I had a lot of drop calls plus slow data. This is not bashing ATT just the facts .

I live in OK City and I have drop calls all the time.Just the facts and only pointless to those that know everything.I myself am glad to know this does not only happen to me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I've always stated that threads such as this one are pointless. The quality of the carrier service is totally dependable on your location. So what is the point of a thread like this? I have no idea... ;)
Perhaps. Perhaps wireless carriers rank with cable companies among those we do business with, because they enjoy a franchise, but otherwise love to hate. Perhaps you just like yanking on this chain.

I was in NYC last week and got a shoe shine, a quick lunch, and a Starbucks while trying to check my bank balance. However, I will grant you that quality of service is local. In AT&T's case, that includes some very big and densely populated locales. I should not have to carry and pay for a Verizon MiFi to compensate for AT&T's quality of service.

However, QoS is only one of my gripes with AT&T. The main one is business practices. For example, they have been touting the microcell for almost a year and it is still not "generally available." They use GPS to restrict it to a location and then say the microcell must be located within three feet of a (south facing) window so that it can acquire the GPS signal. They took more than a year to do MMS, Slingplayer over 3G, and are still block tethering only on iPhones even though it works very well on jailbroken phones. They block things on iPhones that they permit on all other phones. They have enjoyed a huge subscriber increase from their iPhone franchise but treat Windows Mobile customers more generously than iPhone customers

I wish data service in NYC and SF were the only issues. I can get around that with my Verizon WiFi (which also solves my tethering problem) but which I really should not need.

I paid for the 3G radio in my iPad but AT&T will not get a dime from me as long as I must also carry the MiFi for data and tethering.

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I've never had more dropped calls than I do now with AT&T. Even after getting a new SIM card, the issue remains. I suppose this is an issue that will continue. Love my iPhone 3Gs but can't stand AT&T right now.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I've never had more dropped calls than I do now with AT&T. Even after getting a new SIM card, the issue remains. I suppose this is an issue that will continue. Love my iPhone 3Gs but can't stand AT&T right now.

who says it's not the device?

i love when people are so quick to blame the network

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Here's what you do-

1- Return it before it drives you nuts and you end up paying $350 to leave AT&T, yes that's the termination fee for AT&T now. Fortunately for me, I left before AT&T smarted up. When I got laid off, I quit AT&T because, quite frankly, I would have missed several calls from prospective employers had I stayed on AT&T. I am now with a Verizon Motorola Droid. It's a good phone, do I miss the iPhone? You bet- the apps, the games- it's slim pickings. But where I was once without service, I can now make calls, surf the web. I miss my NYT app, my redbox app- but then again, what good is making a rental reservation on an iPod touch without a connection?

2- Find out which carrier is the best in your area

3- Pick out a phone you like. If you want an iPhone-like experience, then go with Android. If you really, really want the iPhone and want to see if it's on Verizon come June, then use your old T-mo phone x 1 month and wait and see. Personally, if I were you, I'd wait to see if it ends up on Verizon next month (that is if Verizon is any good in your area).

In it's current state the iPhone is a fantastic device, but a lousy phone.(where I live) I don't care if it's AT&T's fault or Apple's fault. At least in my area, it is a joke of a phone. Where I live- NYC/NJ- it's basically a $70/mth iPod touch. And I doubt it's the phone because everybody complains about it. Which I think is ridiculous- all these people whine, and moan, and get angry about the iPhone and at the end of the month, they fork over $70+ to AT&T. Wake up, if the service sucks, switch.

I don't care if the next iPhone has a 3D hyper-OLED display with holographic display option, mind control, and a battery that lasts a week, and has a PS3 emulator on it that renders all the games in 3D. The only thing I want to know is- will it be on Verizon (best in my area)? In fact, I'd rather have the EXACT same 3GS running on Verizon than a hyped up iPhone on AT&T.

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
who says it's not the device?

i love when people are so quick to blame the network

Well then that's TWO ****ty a$$ devices! I love when people talk something they don't know of! Whether it's AT&T or the device itself....I have dropped calls..period.com!

It's funny though, when I was out of the country using it I had NO PROBLEMS!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm in Philly.
Have not been to Philadelphia with my iPhone but have not heard any reports. Have driven both the Jersey and PA Turnpikes and have not had any problems. May still be an open question as to whether it is the device or the network. That said, the iPhone really has a better reputation than AT&T.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well then that's TWO ****ty a$$ devices! I love when people talk something they don't know of! Whether it's AT&T or the device itself....I have dropped calls..period.com!

It's funny though, when I was out of the country using it I had NO PROBLEMS!

guys, wow, this may sound silly but i was tryin to sound sarcastic...

of course i know AT&T coverage sucks (hence my sig) there are posts all over this place to prove it, however, i am blessed to live in an oasis of beautiful coverage no matter where i go or where my work takes me. jealous? haha

anyways, people really should start listening to whmurray more often
he is full of plenty useful information (not being sarcastic )

jmpetra

May 29, 2010
www.facebook.com
I always hear complaints of AT&T and last year I had a lot of dropped calls. I have used AT&T for years, never had that problem before or after. It works great on my iPhone and iPad. I live in Olympia area, but have used AT&T on iPhone all around the country, Seattle, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Canada (and Rogers killed me on roaming), up and down I5, off roads. It works good for me. In the past I tried Verizon and T-Mobile but did not get as good reception for the places I traveled. We also have 4 phones on my account, mine and wife and 2 employees and AT&T has worked very well for us.

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
guys, wow, this may sound silly but i was tryin to sound sarcastic...

of course i know AT&T coverage sucks (hence my sig) there are posts all over this place to prove it, however, i am blessed to live in an oasis of beautiful coverage no matter where i go or where my work takes me. jealous? haha

anyways, people really should start listening to whmurray more often
he is full of plenty useful information (not being sarcastic )

Sorry...I didn't look at your signature. Jealous? Not at all. Wonderful you have coverage. However, there always seem to be a bit of sarcasm coming from a lot of folks in here whether it's about posts, threads, etc., and...if it's directed at me (Quoting me with sarcasm), I'll give it right back.

I'll be sure to check out whmurray's posts. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro