I've used quite a few smartphones. I've owned a Helio Ocean, Blackberry Pearl 8130 (Sprint), Blackberry Curve 8330 (Sprint), Nokia N97, N95, Nokia E71, HTC Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, iPhone 3GS, and now a Droid.

I've concluded that the iPhone is a little better than the Droid, only because of the apps. Seriously, it's all about apps. The apps aren't necessarily high quality all the time either.

I also agree with Apple's App Store philosophy too, but only because of quality control. After Android Market I'm a huge App Store fan too. The crashiness and janky behavior some of my Android apps have had are just getting obscene. Apps on iPhone I'm sure crash, I am pretty sure I've had them crash too, I just don't remember when nor do I remember the app.

Yes, indeed, iPhone pwnz....well it did so long as I didn't leave the house. In reality, the iPhone turned into an iPod Touch that could text and occasionally make a phone call thanks to AT&T's absolutely horrid awful network. It's not because of my region either. I travel a fair amount. I've used my 3GS in Denver, Salt Lake, SanFrancisco, Reno, and Houston. When I use to have Sprint, whatever phone I had worked far better on the network. I could email, browse the web (um, if you can construe what Blackberry users call web browsing, web browsing...), use gps navigation, etc.

On the iPhone, my GPS navigation consistently flaked out. You gotta understand though, it's relative. I talked to a few friends who also had iPhones and theirs all behave the same way because AT&T's aGPS setup is totally janky, so you may not be aware that it royally sucks, but trust me...it does. The network speeds were NEVER what AT&T advertised, and all my friends got the same results.

To make matters worse, AT&T's tower is such crap, that it always locked onto the roaming partner and I got gprs speeds at my house. Then, I got a notice for excessive data usage even though I'm in their coverage area.

iPod Touch with a camera, mic, extra speaker, and texting.

Since being on my Droid, I get excellent service. Here in my rural town I get 1200-1500mbps transfer rate from my house. That's better than AT&T ever gave me in a major city.

I've really got my fingers crossed for a Verizon iPhone, that's the only way I'd go back. I love my iPod Touch's, we have a few at the house. I just with Apple would do whatever is in their power to get iPhone to Verizon.
    12-27-2009 09:57 PM
    Personally I dont care either way, but I actually hate Verizon and their customer service.. The iPhone can go on any network I myself am happy with AT&T but I would never use Verizon again and I will always tell others not to trust Verizon... Verizon is a evil company...
    12-27-2009 10:00 PM
    Personally I dont care either way, but I actually hate Verizon and their customer service.. The iPhone can go on any network I myself am happy with AT&T but I would never use Verizon again and I will always tell others not to trust Verizon... Verizon is a evil company...
    I get a corporate discount, and Verizon drinks from the kool-aid my employer puts out. I totally hear ya, but they work out well for me because we have our tendrils dug into them. They bend over backwards for us.
    12-27-2009 10:17 PM
    Coverage is based on location. Yes, Verizon has killer service in one area, but may have horrible service in some areas, to say the least. Same for AT&T... For example, I JUST had someone over for dinner and during the evening we talked about their service with Verizon. We live in Pensacola, FL; AT&T is dominant in my opinion in this area. Her rating of Verzion, felacious in context, wasn't anywhere near positive...It sucks that you have been raped by chance and live in an area where AT&T doesnt give a crap about you because of the demographics (Racoons & White Tail Bucks aren't their target market). Im not right you say? probably not, but Im perfectly happy with my iPhone AND AT&T here in Florida. I hear that the New Yorkers wont be so much lol What do I know though, Im just a long time iPhone/AT&T customer, what does my opinion matter?
    12-27-2009 11:57 PM
    Coverage is based on location. Yes, Verizon has killer service in one area, but may have horrible service in some areas, to say the least. Same for AT&T... For example, I JUST had someone over for dinner and during the evening we talked about their service with Verizon. We live in Pensacola, FL; AT&T is dominant in my opinion in this area. Her rating of Verzion, felacious in context, wasn't anywhere near positive...It sucks that you have been raped by chance and live in an area where AT&T doesnt give a crap about you because of the demographics (Racoons & White Tail Bucks aren't their target market). Im not right you say? probably not, but Im perfectly happy with my iPhone AND AT&T here in Florida. I hear that the New Yorkers wont be so much lol What do I know though, Im just a long time iPhone/AT&T customer, what does my opinion matter?
    I agree with your thoughts
    12-28-2009 03:18 AM
    My iPhone has yet to disappoint me, especially here in Atlanta, GA. Fast speeds all the time, and usually throughout downtown there are multiple Wi-Fi hotspots for GSU students.
    12-28-2009 07:13 AM
    Evidently AT&T rules the south. Phil Nickinson tried convincing me for a long time to switch to AT&T with daily 3G updates as our area gained coverage. When I finally got so angry at Sprint I had to make a change, I finally bit the bullet and went to AT&T. I have been very happy.

In all fairness, my kids have been with AT&T since day 2 of the 1st gen iPhone, living and working in NY/NJ - where all the crappy service is supposed to be. The only time I've ever heard them complain is when they visit my parents in upstate NY (where GSM coverage in generally pretty much sucks).
    12-28-2009 09:12 AM
    Apparently at&t doesn't care about cities with millions of people either. Admittedly I haven't been to the south much, glad it works for your small region of the country.
    12-28-2009 09:27 AM
    Apparently at&t doesn't care about cities with millions of people either.
    Does any cell phone company actually care about anyone? Their bottom line, make money. They don't give a sh*t about me or you when it comes down to it. If you bought a phone with crappy service dump it! You had 30 days to decide with no ETF.
    12-28-2009 10:23 AM
    My small region of the country and NYC - which probably has more people than my small region.
    12-28-2009 12:58 PM
    Does any cell phone company actually care about anyone? Their bottom line, make money. They don't give a sh*t about me or you when it comes down to it. If you bought a phone with crappy service dump it! You had 30 days to decide with no ETF.

30 days....EXACTLY...Good point Pop3y3
    12-28-2009 01:27 PM
    I just dumped the iPhone long before my 30 days hit.

Boo to AT&T for taking a sure thing (GSM) and screwing it up. Boo to them for sitting on cash piles while other 3G providers aggressively expand their coverage area. Bell Canada and Telus just launched a HSPA network from scratch that covers more square feet in basically over a year than what AT&T has done in five.

Maybe if all hell would break lose and Apple said "no CDMA iPhone, but we'll give it to you if you go HSPA along with your LTE expansion" than we'd get an iPhone on Verizon.
    12-28-2009 01:42 PM
    I've been with AT&T and the iPhone for a little over a year. Never had a problem with service from the Panhandle of Texas, southern part of Texas, and most parts of Oklahoma. Normally, I travel to more parts of the country. But, this year was a little slow on travel. Sprint still only has 1x in our area with no immediate plans to upgrade. Granted, we are not a large place, around 180,000. Verizon's 3G is much slower than AT&T's 3G around here. At least they are from the non-certified testing that some of my colleagues and I have done.

I think like many have said, it's what's in your area that make the determination if a carrier is good for you.
    12-28-2009 01:59 PM
    How has ATT screwed up GSM? And all the people that ***** and whine and moan about the number of bad apps on the app store... don't download them.
    12-28-2009 04:35 PM
    Funny thing too, LTE and all, I talked to a VZ tech about when we'll see LTE in my rural neck of the woods. According to their buildout schedule it's going to be middle of 2010. That is, VZ will have their entire network of LTE built out before AT&T gets anywhere beyond metro areas with their crappy 3G.

What sucks though is that if Apple stands firm that they will NEVER have a hybrid CDMA/capable phone, then we may not see a VZ phone this next year at all.
    12-28-2009 05:10 PM
    Funny thing too, LTE and all, I talked to a VZ tech about when we'll see LTE in my rural neck of the woods. According to their buildout schedule it's going to be middle of 2010. That is, VZ will have their entire network of LTE built out before AT&T gets anywhere beyond metro areas with their crappy 3G.

What sucks though is that if Apple stands firm that they will NEVER have a hybrid CDMA/capable phone, then we may not see a VZ phone this next year at all.
    Don't believe everything you hear from employees...

And I have excellent service here in the Chicago area with AT&T. Better than what I get with Verizon on my Moto Droid. Service just varies by location.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 12-29-2009 at 12:46 AM.
    12-29-2009 12:27 AM
    I've used quite a few smartphones. I've owned a Helio Ocean, Blackberry Pearl 8130 (Sprint), Blackberry Curve 8330 (Sprint), Nokia N97, N95, Nokia E71, HTC Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, iPhone 3GS, and now a Droid.

I've concluded that the iPhone is a little better than the Droid, only because of the apps. Seriously, it's all about apps. The apps aren't necessarily high quality all the time either.

I also agree with Apple's App Store philosophy too, but only because of quality control. After Android Market I'm a huge App Store fan too. The crashiness and janky behavior some of my Android apps have had are just getting obscene. Apps on iPhone I'm sure crash, I am pretty sure I've had them crash too, I just don't remember when nor do I remember the app.

Yes, indeed, iPhone pwnz....well it did so long as I didn't leave the house. In reality, the iPhone turned into an iPod Touch that could text and occasionally make a phone call thanks to AT&T's absolutely horrid awful network. It's not because of my region either. I travel a fair amount. I've used my 3GS in Denver, Salt Lake, SanFrancisco, Reno, and Houston. When I use to have Sprint, whatever phone I had worked far better on the network. I could email, browse the web (um, if you can construe what Blackberry users call web browsing, web browsing...), use gps navigation, etc.

On the iPhone, my GPS navigation consistently flaked out. You gotta understand though, it's relative. I talked to a few friends who also had iPhones and theirs all behave the same way because AT&T's aGPS setup is totally janky, so you may not be aware that it royally sucks, but trust me...it does. The network speeds were NEVER what AT&T advertised, and all my friends got the same results.

To make matters worse, AT&T's tower is such crap, that it always locked onto the roaming partner and I got gprs speeds at my house. Then, I got a notice for excessive data usage even though I'm in their coverage area.

iPod Touch with a camera, mic, extra speaker, and texting.

Since being on my Droid, I get excellent service. Here in my rural town I get 1200-1500mbps transfer rate from my house. That's better than AT&T ever gave me in a major city.

I've really got my fingers crossed for a Verizon iPhone, that's the only way I'd go back. I love my iPod Touch's, we have a few at the house. I just with Apple would do whatever is in their power to get iPhone to Verizon.
    And sorry about this but wow, what a turn around from what you said back in July... What happened since then?

Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 12-29-2009 at 12:45 AM.
    12-29-2009 12:35 AM

You must have misunderstood the rep. Here's Verizon's official page on LTE.

LTE Information Center

Verizon Wireless expects to commercially launch its LTE 4G network in up to 30 markets in 2010, covering 100 million people. In subsequent years, an equally aggressive growth plan will result in full nationwide coverage in 2013. The companys LTE network ultimately will connect a full range of electronics devices and machines to each other.
    AT&T is beginning in 2011. I can see them leapfrogging 3G.
    12-29-2009 12:59 PM
    I've been with AT&T/Cingular. For ten years! I love this company. Service has been fantastic and 3g rocks here in Vegas.
    01-11-2010 02:00 AM
    ....Service has been fantastic and 3g rocks here in Vegas.
    Not according to some of the CES attendees last week! But that was overload.

All carriers are great and all carriers suck. Really depends on where you live (or what phone choice you made!).
    01-12-2010 09:56 AM
    Not according to some of the CES attendees last week! But that was overload.

All carriers are great and all carriers suck. Really depends on where you live (or what phone choice you made!).
    put that many people with cell phones in one place and we already KNOW there will be problems. That's not news.
    01-12-2010 11:22 AM
    That's not news.
    Did I imply that it was?
    01-12-2010 07:40 PM
    i have my iphone w tmobile since november before that i had sprint for 8yrs! i am sooooo happy there they have pretty good service and there customer care is beyond friendly and kind ive called many times(im a question asker)they have yet to let me down unlike sprint who wee always rude and it seemed like it took 6 people to answer 1 quest
    01-19-2010 11:30 AM
    Did I imply that it was?
    no, but you didn't do otherwise in a thread based around complaining about AT&T
    01-19-2010 11:35 AM
    i dont think the carrier matters. the iphone has a ridiculously large user base, so whatever network they go to they will stress, and make somewhat spotty.
    01-24-2010 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD