Moving my iPhone from India to Sweden

Aberdeen1948

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Here in India we buy iPhones outright and then subscribe to a phone connection service. In Sweden the phone is usually included in the phone connection service charge.

I plan to return to Sweden in June 2010 with my "Indian" iPhone, linked to Vodafone India.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get my iphone to work with a Swedish phone company? :rolleyes:

To complicate matters Vodafone in Sweden is part of "Telenor", and doesn't have iPhones. The company that has iPhones is "Telia". Neither of these companys has e-mail support, only phone support, so I can't ask them.

Vodafone India doesn't answer my e-mails.

If anyone has a clue, let me know!

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Do they use 3G in sweden ? And what Frequencies does Telenor use ? If Telenor does have the same Frequencies as the iphone then it wont work at all .

A quick google search turned up this article
NSN wins Telenor Sweden 3G network deal

stating that NSN will be upgrading the 3G network in sweden . So it seems the Frequencies are there.

Also there is the website that compares the frequencies from around the world GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

So I think you should be ok for phone calls . Now data is another story .

Last edited:

Aberdeen1948

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Swedish Phone company

I hate to pay for an international phone call just to be put on hold for 20-30 minutes, which is standard for such calls in Sweden. The jerks don't accept e-mail communication.:mad:

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I hate to pay for an international phone call just to be put on hold for 20-30 minutes, which is standard for such calls in Sweden. The jerks don't accept e-mail communication.:mad:

unfortuantly, that's likely what you have to go through to get a solid answer

though if that's true you'll soon hit the point where buying a new phone in sweeden is cheaper

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If they have a GSM network in sweden using a SIM card the phone should work but you'll need to unlock it. I got the 1st gen iPhone when it first came out and wasn't offered in Canada. I unlocked put my SIM in and everything worked fine. You will need to get SBSettings and disable the 3G and Edge network because if they don't have iPhones they may not have data plans. So you don't want your phone connecting to 3G if you don't have a data plan because it will cost you big time.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site

Aberdeen1948

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
update

Vodafone India finally answered, saying that they will NOT unlock my iPhone. At least they answered.

As to GSM bands, Sweden and India both use 900 and 1800, and Sweden also uses 2100, and plans to have G4 in 2010.

Skype will not allow me to pay money into my Skype account from India. I guess they have been fooled too many times by fraud from India.

Oh well, I'll be in Sweden for Christmas and will then go by a Telia shop and ask them if it is possible to connect my Indian iPhone to Telia's iPhone system, as Vodafone doesn't have iPhone in Sweden.

As a last resort I will just have to hack the darn thing. :eek:

Thanks for all your comments!

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
just JB it bro and pop ur sim.. dun care a damn bout these operators.. most iphones are jailbroken these days .. coz its more open sourced and becomes more feature rich since u can make the max outta it

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
and will then go by a Telia shop and ask them if it is possible to connect my Indian iPhone to Telia's iPhone system, as Vodafone doesn't have iPhone in Sweden.

Thanks for all your comments!
Locked means it's locked to the provider. Telia will need you to get the phone unlocked first before they can work with it.

See your catch?

Believe me, as you're likely going under contract with Telia you're going to save time and money and hassle to buy a iphone in Sweeden

Aberdeen1948

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Depressing thought

Locked means it's locked to the provider. Telia will need you to get the phone unlocked first before they can work with it.

See your catch?

Believe me, as you're likely going under contract with Telia you're going to save time and money and hassle to buy a iphone in Sweeden

I paid 30,000Rs (= 4,100SEK or about $500) for it, so I hope I can solve the problem by unlocking it and using a Telia card in it.

Must think positive! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen