RUMOR: Verizon to get iPhone 3GS in January 2010

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to be with AT&T, but recently had to move to Verizon due to the number of dropped calls where I live. I am definitely missing my iPhone 3GS but not the dropped calls.

I called Verizon today (October 17th 2009) to activate my BB Tour. While on the phone with the Verizon rep, I had mentioned that I was excited about some of the upcoming phones; most notably the Storm 2 and possibly the Pre. He told me that all of the Verizon reps received an email today indicating that Verizon just signed a contract with Apple to carry the iPhone in 2010. He told me that the phone was to be released in January 2010 and that many of the employees at Verizon where very excited about the "breaking news". He also said that there is going to be a big announcement in November from Verizon about Verizon carrying the Pre, an Android phone, and the iPhone all in 2010.

I am a little skeptical since I can't find anything firm on the internet about any possible contract, but for this Verizon rep to tell me this, was a little surprising to say the least; I never even mentioned to the rep that I had an iPhone or wanted one, he just simply told me that they were going to be getting it along with the Pre and an Android based phone.

The only thing that I can find out on the net that shows some legitimacy to this rumor is that some european carriers who used to not carry the phone due to an exclusive contract will now be carrying it. I have also seen multiple sites and posts that confirm that the Pre and an Abdroid phone will be on Verizon. Also, I know Verizon is switching to LTE in 2010 which is a GSM based technology which would lend additional credence to the rumor. If the Verizon rep would have said that it was getting released in Summer 2010 I would be less surprised, but to have the phone ready to go in January 2010 seemed a little quick and not really in line with Apple's traditional unveiling of products. That being said, I know Apple could make a ton of money by opening the phone up to Verizon and AT&T customers simultaneously, and with the assumption that 2010 will be a stronger year than 2009 economically speaking, anything is possible. The other possibility i could foresee is that the phone is already built and ready to go and once the contract with AT&T expires (assuming it is 12/31/09) then the phone can simply be released to Verizon. Just guessing of course.

Obviously, this would be great for me as I would definitely love the iPhone on a dependable network. But, I just wanted to see if there is anybody affiliated with Verizon that could confirm this news. Is there anyone else that has heard something like this from another Verizon rep?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. It's not "official" until it comes from Apple and Verizon's mouths. Sales people will tell you anything and know nothing.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I don't beleive it.

For one , wouldn't the LTE Network require new phone radios ( the same way phones needed a 3G radio to get the 3G signal) ? Apple isn't going to put out iPhone hardware in janauary, unless there already is a LTE radio that apple will switch on in an update.

Also , How many LTE towers has Verizon set up ? If this is true that there will be a LTE iPhone in 2010 , they would have the same issue they are using against AT&T in their recent advertising - lack of 3G coverage ( in this case LTE ).

I agree with the usual apple Product unvailing. They would probably announce in January if this is true and launch in the summer.

Apple also wouldn't allow verizon to release such information.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Changed thread title to RUMORED because nothing is official until a press release is issues by Apple.

As others have said, this would require either a CDMA or LTE radio to function, and Apple currently doesn't offer a CDMA or LTE, and Verizon has no LTE network yet (and, unlike Bell or Telus hasn't built and HSPA network).

italianangel8131

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
i heard the same thing from 2 people but everything i see online points to a 2011 release so it just a wait and see game hopefully it will be 2011 though cause that when i can get my upgrade but lets just wait and see i have no proof but from what i heard so sit tight it gonna be a bumpy ride

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
you will not see the iPhone on Verizon's network anytime soon, hence the iPhone bashing

goto Droid from Verizon Wireless

do you think Verizon would go this route if they were getting the iPhone in a few months

Thank you! People need to stop thinking Verizon is getting an iPhone anytime soon. I've mentioned this in countless other threads but some just pay no attention. With this anti-iPhone stand Verizon is currently taking it may do or already have done damage to the relationship between the two companies.

It's not happening folks.

Maybe all of these threads should just be closed now. :p

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Gotta agree with JFSikora..

There is no way Verizon would be doing this unless their relationship with Apple once again has went south. All these ads should be tell-tale signs that the iPhone will not be on Verizon annnnnnnytime soon.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Thank you! People need to stop thinking Verizon is getting an iPhone anytime soon. I've mentioned this in countless other threads but some just pay no attention. With this anti-iPhone stand Verizon is currently taking it may do or already have done damage to the relationship between the two companies.

X2!!!!!!!!!!! Verizon sucks anyways!:D

jdc

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
No, actually Verizon coverage is terrific, at least in my area. As a Verizon customer, I rarely have a dropped call and I rarely can't get a signal.

I just wanted to say that as a BB user who wants to get an iphone, I haven't because of the coverage issue in my area.The Verizon iphone stories keep popping up, because there are so many people who want the iphone to be on the Verizon network. Verizon customers would be flocking to the iphone in huge numbers. I know many VZ customers who have told me they would move to the iphone if it comes to VZ. We can hope and rumors fuel the hope.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Verizon sucked when i had it!! Their reception sucks and their customer service sucks...I have no issues with att's 3G network, its terrific!! Sry to shyt on your parade jc01108 ;-)

jdc

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
As someone who uses MacPros and is typing on a Macbook Pro right now, I would like to be able to use the iphone in my area. It is a great device. They need to make it more available. It is my understanding that in France, where the iphone is on more than one carrier, that they have 40% of the market for smart phones. That is an incredible number.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The FCC has to approve any new phone model (LTE or CDMA). This means public paperwork
Apple has to purchase the parts and make the phone. This means leaks.

Verizon reps hear about new models AFTER the public announcement. It's in the style of big businesses.

Verizon is switching to LTE from 2010-2014. That's right, 5 years to do it. Not only in 2010.

The major reason I don't see a CDMA iphone EVER coming to Verizon is precisely because they're moving away from the technology.

The first LTE phone will be dual 2G/3G GSM and LTE. Why? Because the LTE network will not have 100% coverage for years. 3G still doesn't have 100% coverage 10 years after being created.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site

Yup and Verizon is trying to compete with the iPhone which has been ahead of every other smartphone. It remains #1 and Verizon is acting like a whiny little kid who can't get its way. I've seen pictures of the Droid and I'm not impressed. I did want the iPhone on Verizon.. not anymore. The iPhone should go to a carrier that really deserves it. I'm thinking T-Mobile yeah yeah I hear a bunch of boos on this one but hey they have to pump up there network and increase there 3G coverage.

Kerti

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I read not too long ago that Verizon said that they are not going to carry the Palm Pre. And it was from an official source - what source that was from, I don't remember, but if I do find it I'll post a link.

Second of all, if Verizon really was going to get the iPhone, why on earth would they make a commercial bashing it? Makes no sense at all. From the way the commercial looked, Apple denied Verizon of getting the iPhone, thus Verizon making the commercial. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

We'll see how it goes.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Second of all, if Verizon really was going to get the iPhone, why on earth would they make a commercial bashing it? Makes no sense at all. From the way the commercial looked, Apple denied Verizon of getting the iPhone, thus Verizon making the commercial. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

We'll see how it goes.

exactlyyyyyyyy!!! Its like trash talking someone, then asking that same person for a favor!

Sounds to me that Vz has some beef with apple

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro