I'm sure many of you in the US have started to see Verizon's cheeky "There's a map for that" commercials pointing out AT&T's spotty 3G coverage compared to their own...

Well, Engadget reported today that Verizon is upping the ante with a new anti-iPhone, rather than an anti-AT&T ad campaign, that refers to our beloved iPhone as the mysterious "iDevice" and will point out many of the things it doesn't do. Obviously this is going to quell rumors that an iPhone on Verizon is imminent as it seems kinda silly that Verizon would start an ad series that attacks a product they would be selling.

That brings me to my question for you guys:
    Do you think AT&T/Apple will fight back with their own campaign and do you want them to? Why or why not?

DISCUSS !

Engadget link here: Verizon asks 'if the iDoesn't, what does?'
    10-17-2009 02:37 PM
    The upcoming Device will be a product call Droid... It should be a Android device most likely a revamped sidekick running Android
    10-17-2009 08:29 PM
    There is some precedence for Apple fighting back, as it did with the PC shopper ads. However, every previous iClone has been pretty much ignored by Apple, including the Palm Pre, which was kind of bipolar in their stance on whether or not they were competing with Apple, but had a couple of magazine ads trying to poke at them a bit.

I'm thinking this phone will be ignored too. The difference between Windows and all of these iClones, is marketshare. Until one of these devices actually gets some marketshare, I don't see Apple even paying attention to them. They'd only risk giving them more exposure than they'd otherwise get. I think it'd be an iClone's dream to actually get Apple talking about their product in retort.
    10-18-2009 04:31 AM
    i don't think att got anything to worry about cause i don't see Android taking off for verizon
    10-18-2009 09:32 AM
    I am just waiting for VZ to cripple the WiFi on the "Droid" like they have on EVERYTHING else. That will be funny!!!
    10-18-2009 02:29 PM
    No. For years i have not seen AT&T attack another company. They only flaunt what they are offering. Apple's advertising with the iPhone has done nothing but again flaunt what it can offer, not bash.

Samsung with the instinct tired it last summer, they failed. I doubt any other company will succeed at this bashing theory of advertising. People will immidately see how much a threat Apple and possibly AT&T is to their sales.

I think all that Apple will and AT&T will do is up their own ante in products and services. AT&T will push out more 7.2 HSPA service and coverage. Apple will definitely erupt with a new iPhone that will again blast their competition out of the water for the next two years.

Apple knows what they are doing.
    10-18-2009 04:40 PM
    No. For years i have not seen AT&T attack another company. They only flaunt what they are offering. Apple's advertising with the iPhone has done nothing but again flaunt what it can offer, not bash.

Samsung with the instinct tired it last summer, they failed. I doubt any other company will succeed at this bashing theory of advertising. People will immidately see how much a threat Apple and possibly AT&T is to their sales.

I think all that Apple will and AT&T will do is up their own ante in products and services. AT&T will push out more 7.2 HSPA service and coverage. Apple will definitely erupt with a new iPhone that will again blast their competition out of the water for the next two years.

Apple knows what they are doing.
    Bingo.

AT&T and Apple are just laughing at this commercial. They know the android is gonna be a big fail, thus them not having to waste time and money trying to backfire.
    10-21-2009 10:21 PM
    Bingo.

AT&T and Apple are just laughing at this commercial. They know the android is gonna be a big fail, thus them not having to waste time and money trying to backfire.
    Laughing while the money just keeps on coming and coming.. in boat loads..
    10-24-2009 08:42 PM
    well done

i like ATT
    10-29-2009 10:17 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    well done

i like ATT

like like like
    10-29-2009 10:19 AM
    can't agree more
    10-29-2009 10:21 AM
    Apple has nothing to worry about. AT&T does. Once they lose exclusivity for the phone, and providing Apple comes out with versions for either Verizon (still do0able) or Sprint, AT&T will lose a lot of market share.

AT&T is an OK network. They are a distant second to Verizon though for data AND voice.

All these phones coming out saying they are the "iPhone killer" is just advertising for Apple since none of them compare.

I used to be an iPhone hater but when I got my iTouch and loved it and realized the iPhone was a lot like it except with added voice, I was a convert.

If (when) Verizon or even Sprint get the iphone, I will be switching the day they start selling them.
    11-02-2009 03:09 PM
    AT&T losing exclusivity on the iPhone will only do one thing. Push AT&T to better their coverage to keep people from going to other carriers. I get pretty good coverage where I live and my general travels, but I've had some issues down in Hollywood getting coverage with AT&T, where people on Verizon or Sprint were doing fine ( though these were in greatly overpopulated areas due to concerts and other gatherings, not making excuses just quantifying ).

I'd love to see AT&T get "better" coverage and price plans, but when they have a lock on THE phone, it's just not going to be their main priority.
    11-02-2009 03:35 PM
    AT&T losing exclusivity on the iPhone will only do one thing. Push AT&T to better their coverage to keep people from going to other carriers. I get pretty good coverage where I live and my general travels, but I've had some issues down in Hollywood getting coverage with AT&T, where people on Verizon or Sprint were doing fine ( though these were in greatly overpopulated areas due to concerts and other gatherings, not making excuses just quantifying ).

I'd love to see AT&T get "better" coverage and price plans, but when they have a lock on THE phone, it's just not going to be their main priority.
    I agree, Alot of people including myself would leave AT&T and go to Verizon. I also get Pretty good service were I live.
    11-02-2009 04:02 PM
    Bingo.

If you remove the thousands of apps in these app stores/markets and simplt compare these devices, phone vs phone, the iPhone will loose quickly to BB's, Nokia smartphones, WebOS and Androids. It's the simple smartphone tasks that couldn't/cannot handle that give us the advantage of your [touch screen] phone.
    11-02-2009 04:03 PM
    AT&T can't expand their coverage fast enough to compete with Verizon. It's just not economically feasible.

If Verizon doesn't offer the full iPhone app store (especially the ability to install already purchased ones on the new iPhone on their system), that will be a serious drawback.

Keeping the iPhone the way it is now with the ability to keep your apps and make available ALL the apps in the App store is the only way that Verizon will draw AT&T customers.

11-02-2009 04:25 PM
    data + voice vs one or the other

next gen iphone will be out, new exclusivity.

verizon just ****s on apple every phone they get as a target vs the iphone.

yeh i really see iphone coming on to verizon like last week. did i forget to mention cdma cant multi task? voice/data at the same time.
    11-03-2009 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD