iPhone on Verizon

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I would like to see the iPhone on Verizon's network. Even though I I have AT&T and like the service, I think that it will be better for everyone that other US carriers have the iPhone. AT&T may disagree, but from a consumer standpoint it would be good. It will create more competition between the carriers and help the consumers to get better pricing and services. I saw how the the TP2 being on all four of the major US networks caused a price reduction of the device on one of the networks and prompted another carrier to release the device at a lower cost. It would also give us consumers more choices. If I became unhappy with AT&T, it makes me feel good that I an still get the iPhone on another network. What do you guys think?

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Choice always favors the consumer, but is worse for companies.

I wouldn't expect the iPhone hardware to lower in cost with another carrier though. The thing I most hope for, if AT&T loses its death-grip on the iPhone, is maybe they'll be forced to stop gouging their iPhone customers once we have a choice to go to another carrier.

jscottbarnes

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Not likely to see it on VZ being a CDMA carrier.... that's entirely new iPhone model for Apple to design and that is costly...

Although the sheer # of VZ customers it could bring to Apple has to be enticing for them....

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Choice always favors the consumer, but is worse for companies.

I wouldn't expect the iPhone hardware to lower in cost with another carrier though. The thing I most hope for, if AT&T loses its death-grip on the iPhone, is maybe they'll be forced to stop gouging their iPhone customers once we have a choice to go to another carrier.

Not sure how you think AT&T is gouging customers. They continue to make gains in adding users.

Besides, with any carrier, you'll pay through the nose for a smartphone. Even Sprint.

But if you want to feel better about things, you enjoy cheaper apps, the ability to share apps (such a biggie), rollover minutes, a-list, access to many accessories including unique car mounts, ability to use data and voice at same time, company discounts, a list of GPS nav apps to install if desired, etc.

The only gripe i would have is Edge customers having to pay same data price as 3G customers.

900 minutes on sprint including text is 89. 900 mins on AT&T including text is 109. Only 20 bucks difference.

Sprint offers any mobile, any time and free Navigation. I get rollover and a-list and all the things mentioned above. It's worth an extra 20 a month.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Although the sheer # of VZ customers it could bring to Apple has to be enticing for them....

To a certain extent I respectfully disagree. For Apple to enter into an exclusive agreement with ATT they have to feel comfortable that they are not leaving any money on the table. In other words, ATT is paying a premium to Apple for the iphone to remain exclusive. A large portion of the revenues ATT is paying to Apple subsidizes the revenues Apple would have generated if they were to sell the iphone on other non-ATT networks.

The minute ATT is unwilling to pay Apple what they feel they could make selling the iphone through multiple carriers is the day that exclusive arrangement will come to an end.

So while the number of Verizon subscribers may be somewhat tempting, I am willing to bet Apple is being compensated as though though they were currently selling iphones through Verizon. If they are not, then ATT will have to pony up during the next round of contract negotiations or risk losing their exclusive iphone arrangement.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
it wont work out with verizon, period..

although, i did hear that Apple DID approach verizon first to carry to the iphone.

Simply a rumor actually. From what I hear AT&T is really fighting to keep it locked to their network and Verizon is pushing with Android now so who knows what will happen.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't want the iPhone on Verzion because they want to brand the iPhone with their Verizon logo... I'm all set with that.. I can imagine all the junk verizon would put in the phone, restricting it, there apps... yuck.. Plus ever since I saw the commerical that mocks the apple iPhone commericals. "There's a map for that?" AT&T has plenty of coverage through out the states. Verizon claims they have 3G and they don't. Since there are over 3.2 million people with an iPhone on T-Mobile I'd say give the iPhone to them in a couple of years. They are increasing there network to 21mbps HSPA.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got the iPhone. I was wondering how it would work with a CDMA carrier. But I am sure that Apple could make it work. BBs and other smartphones do it. As for Verizon's recent commercial, it seems that they do a pretty good job fussing a lot of devices. I remeber they had done just about the same thing with the Palm Pre. If the iPhone did go to another carrier, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T started pushing some of the other higher profile touchscreen devices that they have opted to stay away from to sell more iPhones?

anon(22388)

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
T mobile has better pricing for their plans and Sprint has the best ($99 month unlimited everything, the model other carriers should adopt).

Not sure how you think AT&T is gouging customers. They continue to make gains in adding users.

Besides, with any carrier, you'll pay through the nose for a smartphone. Even Sprint.

But if you want to feel better about things, you enjoy cheaper apps, the ability to share apps (such a biggie), rollover minutes, a-list, access to many accessories including unique car mounts, ability to use data and voice at same time, company discounts, a list of GPS nav apps to install if desired, etc.

The only gripe i would have is Edge customers having to pay same data price as 3G customers.

900 minutes on sprint including text is 89. 900 mins on AT&T including text is 109. Only 20 bucks difference.

Sprint offers any mobile, any time and free Navigation. I get rollover and a-list and all the things mentioned above. It's worth an extra 20 a month.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
But you don't get it. Neither have the iphone and the value of that is worth it.

In addition to the added value in apps and all that other stuff i listed, iphones hold their value much better. I doubt i'll be able to get hardly anything for my wife's Pre in a year...if it manages to hold up and not fall apart. On the other hand, i anticipate being able to sell my iphone 3GS for a pretty good sum. So much for saving 20 a month with sprint right?

Now if all carriers had the iphone, then things might be different. But then, AT&T might have to relent. All things aren't equal tho.

italianangel8131

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
i think if the iphone came to verizon it make it just like att slow and dropped calls that y i left att for verizon back in april at the same time i am envious of the iphone the storm just not cutting it and would like one there so much more u can do with it and if verizon was to get i hope they would leave it excatly as it is if it working for one company it should work for them too

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I would love to see an iPhone on Verizon. A large part of AT&T's woes is the data capacity being saturated. Spread out some of the higher end users across more carriers, and it might not be so bad. :)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Verizon is the exact same price as AT&T for their smartphone plans and Verizon even charges more for visual voicemail. 3 extra dollars. I prefer that other carriers carry the iPhone so I can use more bandwidth.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see the iPhone on verizon. They have by far superior coverage to AT&T now where we live (that wasn't the case when i switched to at&t several years ago), but at&t has done absolutely nothing in my area, while verizon has built up tremendously.

at&t is still running on edge in my area with no plans within the next year to change that (that i know of), and verizon has had 3G for about 2 years now.

italianangel8131

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
i heard it coming in 2010 and now i am hearing 2011 when the 4g iphone comes it will go to verizon which is ok cause that when my contract expires in 2011 so i am not due for a phone before then but if the iphone were to come out i would wait until my one year upgrade and just do it to get the iphone anything to get rid of the storm but only for a iphone

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2