Hi there! I'm a totally Newbi in terms of Iphone. However, I'd love to get one. The problem is that I'm in the US only for one year (studying) and will then return to Germany. As far as I understand there is no way to officially buy an Iphone without a two year contract, right? So I was thinking of buying one on Ebay. But what would be my next steps? Can I just go to an ATT store and ask for the $30 data plan and some voice plan on a monthly basis? To be honest I'm kinda feeling overstrained with all the plans. So my questions are:

1. Is an iphone only available with a contract?
    2. Whats the deal with the "activation"?
    3. If Iphone is only available with a contract, would it make any sense to buy a phone on ebay? Would it work with ATT plans on a monthly basis? Would I get a plan at all if I don't wanna buy a phone but only want the plans?

Thanks for your help on this. Really appreciate it.

Ost
    10-09-2009 07:40 PM
    I guess if you have an unlocked iPhone with you, you probably must go with prepaid (not really sure here, but atleast no data plan reqd )
    10-09-2009 09:00 PM
    you can't have an iphone on att w/o a data plan.
    10-09-2009 10:06 PM
    I don't know if this will help you, but I had AT&T and my contract is over, my friend sold me an iPhone I put my SIM card in it and it works fine, then I called them and I told them that I had a regular phone Not a Smart Phone, they asked me for the number that is behind the battery (I gave them the one from my old phone) to sign up for a Data Plan and they told me that I could get the Unlimitted Data for $15 and now I have an iPhone with a $15 data plan
    10-09-2009 10:47 PM
    that only works until the do an IMEI sweep to check devices on the system...then you will either lose data or it will be upgraded to the iphone data plan, it has been covered Ad Nauseum on the forum here.
    10-10-2009 02:42 AM
    if your talking about walking into at&t with phone in hand this also will not work as new customers are prompted to sign a two year contract no matter what phone you have( I could be wrong here, call at&t be sure). your best bet is get a cheapo pay as you go phone for the states and when you return home a year later get the phone you want.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 10-11-2009 at 05:53 AM.
    10-11-2009 05:50 AM
    you can go into att (with a phone in hand.. besides the iphone).. and not sign a 2 year contract...

but if u activate an iphone even a customer owned and maintained iphone (one u bought from someone else).. it is required that on all new activations that you have a 2 year contract...

the only time that it wouldnt add a contract is that you already have an account... and put a COAM iphone on an account.. then it wouldnt add a contract (as long as it wasnt done through itunes.. itunes automatically puts it on a 2 year contract)...

so the best thing for u may to get an iphone.. unlock it.. get a pick ur plan or something...
    10-11-2009 12:40 PM
    I don't know if this will help you, but I had AT&T and my contract is over, my friend sold me an iPhone I put my SIM card in it and it works fine, then I called them and I told them that I had a regular phone Not a Smart Phone, they asked me for the number that is behind the battery (I gave them the one from my old phone) to sign up for a Data Plan and they told me that I could get the Unlimitted Data for $15 and now I have an iPhone with a $15 data plan
    that wont work for long.. ATT is doing sweeps.. and pretty soon if ur not getting it now.. u will be getting an error saying that ur data plan is not compitable with your phone...
    10-11-2009 12:41 PM
    Hi there! I'm a totally Newbi in terms of Iphone. However, I'd love to get one. The problem is that I'm in the US only for one year (studying) and will then return to Germany. As far as I understand there is no way to officially buy an Iphone without a two year contract, right? So I was thinking of buying one on Ebay. But what would be my next steps? Can I just go to an ATT store and ask for the $30 data plan and some voice plan on a monthly basis? To be honest I'm kinda feeling overstrained with all the plans. So my questions are:

1. Is an iphone only available with a contract?
    2. Whats the deal with the "activation"?
    3. If Iphone is only available with a contract, would it make any sense to buy a phone on ebay? Would it work with ATT plans on a monthly basis? Would I get a plan at all if I don't wanna buy a phone but only want the plans?

Thanks for your help on this. Really appreciate it.

Ost
    Find someone that has an at&t account and have them buy it for you without a contract it will be expensive, but you could buy it and unlock it with another carrier or just buy it on ebay or from someone make your life simple
    10-12-2009 01:19 AM
    if your talking about walking into at&t with phone in hand this also will not work as new customers are prompted to sign a two year contract no matter what phone you have( I could be wrong here, call at&t be sure). your best bet is get a cheapo pay as you go phone for the states and when you return home a year later get the phone you want.
    I thought that you could at least buy yourself a phone and then go for a monthly data plan without being forced to sign up for two years. Since this is obviously not the case, I'll just get a cheapo phone (as recommended). Thanks all of you.
    10-12-2009 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD