To knowledge givers:

I want to get an iphone 3G from craigslist and just put in my sim card from my current phone (nokia E71 unlocked) with the a unlimited media net plan for $15 dollars that I activated on an older Samsung sync. I've been using the E71 for about 8 months and I haven't any data problems except I can't receive or send picture messages. Otherwise everything else works... tethering, email,etc. I'm willing to unlock/jailbreak the iphone if necessary. Does anyone foresee any potential problems?

I just believe that the cost of ownership with a 2 year iphone data contract is ridiculous if you're getting the same type of 'data' through a media net plan. Although the 'unlimited' media net plan is actually capped at 5 GB/ month I'll be sure to stay under that if all goes well.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by rusher557; 10-06-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
    10-06-2009 08:15 PM
    The $15 data plan will work fine in the iPhone. U just won't have visual voicemail. But AT&T may catch u when the system does it's random sweeps and automatically change ur plan. btw, u don't need to jailbreak the phone in order for it to work. Good luck.
    10-08-2009 09:35 PM
    Thanks for the useful information rdiddy_25.

Is there a full proof way to 'trick' ATT indefinitely? How do they do a sweep anyway? Can one scramble the IMEI number to make detection impossible? I hear that apple has an app for everything...is there an 'app' for that?
    10-09-2009 01:35 AM
    Just purchase the correct plan. You will get caught and they will change your plan and/or charge you more as well. Best to be safe as AT&T constantly sweeps to make sure you are on the correct plan based on the device you are using.
    10-09-2009 10:47 AM
    Thanks for the useful information rdiddy_25.

Is there a full proof way to 'trick' ATT indefinitely? How do they do a sweep anyway? Can one scramble the IMEI number to make detection impossible? I hear that apple has an app for everything...is there an 'app' for that?
    Apple won't allow an app to do that

if there was a way to change your IMEI, ATT uses it to determine how to bill you. Imagine them thinking it's a prepaid phone, thus your minutes don't apply and the data plan is not usable and they charge you full rates for every minute you use and every KB of data.
    10-09-2009 10:49 AM
    It will work for awhile but AT&T will know you are using the iPhone and do not have the correct data plan. Every phone has a unique ID number called an IMEI number that they can read when you connect to their network.

After a certain period you will get a text msg from AT&T saying you are using the iPhone without the correct plan and to visit an AT&T store to fix it. After that they will either turn off the data on your plan or simply upgrade you to an iPhone plan anyway.
    10-09-2009 11:37 AM
    I agree with purchasing the correct plan. If it's too expensive for you, you might consider a different phone. AT&T can tell what phone you're using and will switch your billing and they don't technically have to give you notice when they do. The $15 data plan is not intended for smartphones. Is $30 a month worth it? I'd say the iPhone is worth it any price and I know a lot of people will agree with me.
    10-09-2009 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD