Ok, so here's my problem i have an Iphone 3G and the white back has cracks in it and its never been dropped, Ok so i take it to the "Guinness Bar" and they say sure we'll replace the iphone because it's not your fault and ur phone is still under warranty so here's my problem my phone is Jailbroken and the guy didn't notice because i took the sim out so he rings it up and is about to hand over my new iphone then asks for my AT&T sim card and i said i left it at home he said he needs it to set up my phone or something and he said come back with the sim and he'll replace the phone.. so now what do i do? can i get a prepaid card or something? i was told it doesn't have to be activated maybe find a friend with one and use that??.. what now? PLEASE HELP!!!
    09-19-2009 01:44 AM
    Ok, so here's my problem i have an Iphone 3G and the white back has cracks in it and its never been dropped, Ok so i take it to the "Guinness Bar" and they say sure we'll replace the iphone because it's not your fault and ur phone is still under warranty so here's my problem my phone is Jailbroken and the guy didn't notice because i took the sim out so he rings it up and is about to hand over my new iphone then asks for my AT&T sim card and i said i left it at home he said he needs it to set up my phone or something and he said come back with the sim and he'll replace the phone.. so now what do i do? can i get a prepaid card or something? i was told it doesn't have to be activated maybe find a friend with one and use that??.. what now? PLEASE HELP!!!
    09-19-2009 01:45 AM
    They want the sim card that is linked to the iPhone account it was bought on, or registered on. If you give them a sim card from a different carrier than AT&T, they will probably void your warranty. That means that you pay for the replacement, usually.

If you can't get a sim from an iPhone account, I would have to say that you will have to just live with the cracks, or buy a housing on line if you can find one and replace it yourself.

Of course, you could always tell them that someone gifted the phone to you when they upgraded to a 3GS and took their sim out of the phone. Then again, they may want you to sign up for an AT&T account to activate if you tell them that.
    09-19-2009 02:20 AM
    before this is all said and done, they will most likely ask you the phone number associated with the iPhone to verify (this is what they have done each time I called them or visited the Genius bar)... You probably will have to live with the cracks.. sorry I wish I had a better answer for you...
    09-19-2009 02:24 AM
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether or not you put your sim in or another. They will still be able to tell it is JB due to the fact that all that data is stored on the devices hard drive not the sim card. Sorry dude I think your SOL. Next time restore your phone to factory settings before you take it in.
    09-19-2009 08:08 AM
    I don't see why it matters if the phone is jailbroken or not. The genius wants to put the sim card in the new phone, not the old one. Just take in your sim, the worst that can happen is they send you home with your cracked phone.
    09-19-2009 02:34 PM
    Do you still have the phone or they have it? also why didn't you restore it back before taking it in thats like a 101 rule. I have replace my iphone 3gs with apple 3 times already and never had them ask me about the sim card so they are ****ing with you on that end lol If you still have the phone restore it and bring it back raising hell trust me when you do that they don't want the problem they will give you the phone. On the real though I would just go back and get some one else cause i was on tmo with my 3gs and they treated it like a iphone/ipod touch warrenty since I didnt have a account on att at the time.
    09-19-2009 07:28 PM
    Do you mean that your phone is also unlocked? Otherwise, I don't see the problem with restoring it and bringing it in with your sim card in it.
    09-19-2009 08:56 PM
    The difference is in whether or not it is a warranty replacement or not. A warranty replacement will more than likely be free. If they see the phone is jailbroken, it will void the warranty of the device and the replacement will cost money.

We all know that jailbreaking the phone does not cause cracks on the case, but it is a violation of Apple's Terms of Service. This makes the entire device void of free or low cost warranty repairs.

The "genius" at the bar may just replace it and not care, who knows.
    09-20-2009 01:14 AM
    Do you mean that your phone is also unlocked? Otherwise, I don't see the problem with restoring it and bringing it in with your sim card in it.
    I agree I don't see the problem
    09-20-2009 01:47 AM
    yes its jailbroken for tmobile but thats not the problem they didnt even notice that he just got the serial and was about to replace but didnt because he wanted a at&t sim card..
    09-20-2009 04:19 PM
    Restore it to remove the jailbreak. If you give them a Tmobile SIM card expect them to void the warranty as they will know it was JB at one point if that is what you were using. Or put in the AT&T SIM card that came with it.

Just tell them you will set it up at home or call phone support and swap it out that way, you keep your SIM. But make sure you restore it to remove the JB.
    Last edited by sting7k; 09-20-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    09-20-2009 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD