I live in the Dekalb, il area and since I have been with AT&T this area has only supported EDGE. I have been told by AT&T reps that they probably won't be putting up a 3G network in this area for a long time. Today I noticed that my iPhone now has 3G here. Has anyone else in this area noticed this?
    09-11-2009 02:15 PM
    Interesting. Not completely applicable for you, but I am in the NW burbs of Chicago, and I have noticed increased 3G coverage in some areas inside of buildings lately. Places where sometimes the phone would drop to Edge are now holding 3G and/or more bars of 3G. This was before upgrading to OS 3.1. Been wondering if the 850 mhz bands have been getting "turned on" in this area. Might be the case for the Dekalb area as well....

I'll check back and see if anyone in Dekalb responds to this thread!
    09-11-2009 11:31 PM
    Interesting. Not completely applicable for you, but I am in the NW burbs of Chicago, and I have noticed increased 3G coverage in some areas inside of buildings lately. Places where sometimes the phone would drop to Edge are now holding 3G and/or more bars of 3G. This was before upgrading to OS 3.1. Been wondering if the 850 mhz bands have been getting "turned on" in this area. Might be the case for the Dekalb area as well....

I'll check back and see if anyone in Dekalb responds to this thread!
    I was wondering if it had to do with the 850 mhz updates as well (or maybe it has to do with preparing for MMS on the 25th). I checked the coverage map on ATT's website and it still showed only EDGE in this area. Not sure if they just need to update thier maps or if they are only testing the 3g towers. But when i saw that my phone was using 3g i had to restart my phone to see if it was just a glitch. I've had it all day though. Either way it's nice to finally have 3g here.
    09-11-2009 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD