4G - real or fake?

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
So we all know that sprint claims to have 4g. But has anyone used it and noticed a difference or do you think they are faking for better buisness?

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Well, according to some reviewers on the net, their 4G network, WiMax, has been rolled out in the Chicago area for a few months now. Chobbs1 is correct in saying that it is data only right now. They have no phones that work on the WiMax spectrum.

That being said, I am sure that Sprint will have some phones in testing to utilize the WiMax, but not release them until the network is rolled out in a majority of markets. They could be phones just like we have now, where they work on CDMA if there is no WiMax signal. If the signal is present, you use the WiMax as your network. It is not hard to imagine as T-Mobile utilizes this same type of system right now, albeit on a smaller scale with their WiFi calling.

Sprint could also be trying to split their bandwidth and use two separate radios, one for voice, one for data. Like 3G, so voice and data can run concurrently. Just a thought.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
They say it right in the Sprint commercials , the first 4G "wireless" service , as I take that its only for those silly mifi routers . I have heard of some phone testing of this technology but nothing commercial yet . Also the logical evolution of 3G would be 4G. Hopefully 5G will let all cellphone companies work on all the same frequencies. You can see this with Verizon and Sprint putting Sim slots into phones to work around the world.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Sprint doesn't even sell any 4G phones. It is also only available in Atlanta right now from what I've seen.

The "4G" network that Sprint has is WiMax, built off Wifi standards.

The "4G" networks that everyone else will have will be LTE (Long Term Evolution) and is built off the GSM standard. Even Verizon will be using LTE in the future. The "3G" networks that you hear about now come in many many flavors and have too many short hand names to state here. There are several GSM versions and the CDMA version is EVDO.

Last edited:

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
All good points here! I was wondering if anyone has used it and actually noticed something different. If phones do start using it, do you think apple would roll out support for it?I mean, they did just build that billion? dollar facility in new england. So possibly that could be saying something

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
First the Iphone would have to be offered on other networks first , and I realy cant see Apple getting hooked up with Sprint . The most logical step for the Iphone is a CDMA version with the LTE technology .

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox