New to ATT/IPHONE 3GS - questions, deposit etc. HELP

IphoneNeeded

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I will be switching from US Cellular - to AT&T for the sole purpse of getting an Iphone 3Gs. Had AT&T years back, then it changed to cingular- and then I switched to US Cellular about 3 yrs ago. My account with AT&T/Cingular was in perfect standing.
Question...
my credit score is about 620 do to high utilization on the few cards I have do to the loss of my wife's income- and inquiries. There are no lates or delinquincies. When the credit check is run, is it a hard or soft inquiry and will it remain on my credit report. I'm trying to build it up, not bring it down further.

Do I order this through AT&T online, or Apple online? When will I know if a deposit is required, and obviously knowing that my score is not so great I can pretty much bet on a deposit being required? Anyone know how much given my score? If I go through the online process, and a deposit is required- what happens next? I'd like to pay for all of this with my debit card through checking- I do not want to pay with a credit card, is that possible?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
You shouldn't switch to AT&T unless you feel like dealing with their expensive plans and certaintly shouldn't do it if 1) your money is tight 2) you are doing it to get one particular phone.

I am actually getting rid of AT&T as soon as Oct so I can sign up with Sprint (great area coverage) who has excellently priced everything plans (data + voice + messaging + tv + gps) and I will be picking up two HTC Heroes. Those devices are $179 with 2 year contract and the plans are a lot cheaper than what AT&T charges.

Do yourself a favor: If you are tight on cash, look for ways to decrease cost. Not increase them.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
And here is a different opinion

ifyou want the iPhone. Go for it! I have been with AT&T for over 9 years. They have been a great company. I rarely have dropped calls and their costomer service has always been helpful. I have two iPhones on my plan and with a discount because of where i work(15%) I pay 120$ a month. Not bad IMO. So do your research and do not let people like me or the previous poster sway your decision.

And as far as your questions. These are better answered by AT&T. Give them a call. You might be suprised.

Last edited:

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
And here is a different opinion

ifyou want the iPhone. Go for it! I have been with AT&T for over 9 years. They have been a great company. I rarely have dropped calls and their costomer service has always been helpful. I have two iPhones on my plan and with a discount because of where i work(15%) I pay 120$ a month. Not bad IMO. So do your research and do not let people like me or the previous poster sway your decision.

And as far as your questions. These are better answered by AT&T. Give them a call. You might be suprised.

You pay $120?

I have 2 lines 700 minutes with a 25% discount and my bill after taxes is $135 including a $30 family messaging plan and only one data plan. Customer service is alright but if you want a family plan and have everything like data and messaging you should go with Sprint. I believe you can get a 1500 minute Family everything data plan for $129.99 before taxes. That plan includes unlimited data, unlimited messaging, sprint tv and gps.

At&t is not the way to go if you are trying to save money. AT&T and Verizon have the most expensive plans on the market.

If you want the base family plan + data on both lines (required for Iphone) + unlimited messaging.

550 minutes @ $59.99
Unlimited family messaging @ $30.00
Iphone data plan X 2 @$60
= $149.99 before taxes

Let's just say you have a 15% discount

$59.99 * 15% = $50.99 +
$30
$60
= $140.99 before taxes

taxes are usually between $15 and $20.

and if you get the employee referral the new sero plans you can save another $20 as the base plan is $109.99 for 1600 minutes. (search google)

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have 550 minutes @ $50
add a line @ 10
3GS Data @ $30
2G Data @ $20
and 1500 text for me @ $15

That works out to $125.00

So, I lied My last bill I paid $124.00. with two iphones on my plan.

I am not sure why my 550 minutes plan is only 50 dollars but I just looked it up and that is what it is.

so again. to the OP just do your research and I am sure you can find a plan that works for you!

Last edited:

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I agree with chobbs1. Determine your needs (how many minutes/texts) and then do some research on AT&T.com.

As far as the deposit, my credit is quite a bit lower than yours and I did not have to pay a deposit. That said, it's best to ask AT&T about it.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I have 550 minutes @ $50
add a line @ 10
3GS Data @ $30
2G Data @ $20
and 1500 text for me @ $15

That works out to $125.00

So, I lied My last bill I paid $124.00. with two iphones on my plan.

I am not sure why my 550 minutes plan is only 50 dollars but I just looked it up and that is what it is.

so again. to the OP just do your research and I am sure you can find a plan that works for you!

You are paying the correct price for the 550 plan

$50 for primary
9.99 for secondary

It's still quite high as I can get nearly triple the minutes plus unlimited 3g data and unlimited text for both lines for $120 including taxes.

550 minutes between 2 people is terrible. 225 minutes per person/ 30 days per month = 7.5 minutes a day. That is laughable.

And so the other person can't text? That's no fun. And even your 1500 text messages is a rip. It is really only 750 messages since incoming is counted.

:) Do yourself a favor and shop around. Don't sign up with AT&T just because you want an Iphone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
The other person has 200 text messages on their iPhone data plan included. I am unsure if the 550 is shared, I beleive it is 550 each but will check. It doesn't matter really as we never go ever our minutes and we have amassed over 2000 rollover minutes so even if there is a high usage month we still won't go over.

I have found a plan on AT&T that works for my family and allows us to have the kind of phones we want. And to top it off we have had good customer support and our coverage is top notch.

OP... If you want an IPhone GO For it. It really is a great phone IMHO.

For some AT&T may nor be the right choice, as previously pointed out. We all have different needs. So I say one last time... Do some research and get what you want.

Last edited:

IphoneNeeded

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I agree with chobbs1. Determine your needs (how many minutes/texts) and then do some research on AT&T.com.

As far as the deposit, my credit is quite a bit lower than yours and I did not have to pay a deposit. That said, it's best to ask AT&T about it.

Thank you, that is good to hear (not the part about yours being lower) I amd just trying to figure out what I can expect before I decide to go into the store and get hit with a huge deposit. I was hoping to do all of this online, and bypass going to a store all together. If a deposit is required, do I have to go into a store to pay it or can I pay it over the phone with sales/customer service?

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Thank you, that is good to hear (not the part about yours being lower) I amd just trying to figure out what I can expect before I decide to go into the store and get hit with a huge deposit. I was hoping to do all of this online, and bypass going to a store all together. If a deposit is required, do I have to go into a store to pay it or can I pay it over the phone with sales/customer service?

I do not know about online but I would think that if you have to pay a deposit you would be able to do that over the phone using a credit card.

Let us know how it goes if you do indeed get the iPhone.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Thats great. I switched to AT&T only to get the iPhone. I had tmobile. They seem to have the best data prices around but I was spending more money on devices because I couldn't find the device that gave me everything I wanted so I switched. I couldn't be happier. I do pay more monthly but it wad worth it to me to have the phone that I wanted. When mms is released this is going to be the ultimate device. I'm glad you were able to order your iPhone. You're not going to regret it. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW