I am in the military and will be deploying to the desert in November. I still want to find a way to use my iphone. I found out that they do have a phone company where I am going, so is it as easy as just switching out the SIM card or will I have to jailbreak?
    08-16-2009 11:56 AM
    I am in the military and will be deploying to the desert in November. I still want to find a way to use my iphone. I found out that they do have a phone company where I am going, so is it as easy as just switching out the SIM card or will I have to jailbreak?
    You will have to make sure the cell company is GSM and then jailbreak>unlock
    08-16-2009 11:59 AM
    No, you can just switch the sim.

People just go through the pain of jailbreaking and unlocking for funsies.
    08-16-2009 12:24 PM
    Will everything still work if I only switch out the SIM? I guess since it has wifi I can just use that for data.
    08-16-2009 12:42 PM
    You will have to unlock to use a sim from another carrier.

(Don't confuse jailbreak and unlock.)
    08-16-2009 05:42 PM
    I don't know if this will work for you. But when I went to mexico. I called AT&T and had them add that country for 4.99 a month and my text and data rates were much cheaper. Give them a call they're very helpful. Also when you get back you can remove the international service lickidy split.
    08-16-2009 06:09 PM
    As Alli said, jailbreaking and unlocking at two different things.

You can unlock on your own AFTER you jailbreak. Or you can ask for a carrier unlock (not sure if AT&T would provide one, but I would hope since you are being deployed they would give you some options).

You can't just pop a new sim card in from a different carrier.

Chris
    08-16-2009 07:49 PM
    Contact AT&T. Tell them your problem. Ask them for an unlock code for your phone and use it. Also, tell them that you want to enable International roaming; use that only in extremis.

At your destination get a SIM from a local carrier. Make sure that you know how much data costs on each carrier. Make sure you know how much calls to and from the US cost on each carrier.

Download Skype from the iPhone store. Make sure that your family members here are Skype registered members.

Find WiFi hotspots at your destination. Prefer them for all uses.

Find a buddy at your destination that understands the "local situation." (local situation: "There is a bear in that cave.")
    08-16-2009 09:11 PM
    I just talked to ATT and the rep said that the iPhone is the only phone they carry that cannot be unlocked!!! Ugh!! I don't know what to do. Does anyone know a workaround????
    09-13-2009 02:54 PM
    IF, you have good access to WiFi, I would just use Skype as suggested above. I use Skype and it works great. If you do not have good access to WiFi, then JBing and then Unlocking may be your only alternative.

BTW, Did you call AT&T Customer Service or did you just ask a local AT&T store Rep? The local guys tend not to know anything. The Customer Service Reps that you call into seem to be able to do more than the local guys.
    09-13-2009 03:18 PM
    AT&T will not unlock your iPhone. You will have to jailbreak and unlock it yourself if you want to use it with another SIM.

Good luck over there and stay safe!
    09-13-2009 04:57 PM
    Most carriers will also put your phone contract on hold while you are deployed. You could get another phone that would work where you and just use your iphone through a wifi hotspot.
    09-14-2009 03:10 AM
    Most carriers will also put your phone contract on hold while you are deployed................
    The "steaming pile of failure" is not "most carriers." It is unconscionable that AT&T will not unlock a phone for a service man deploying to a war zone.

That said, a Google search on "unlock iPhone" turns up a lot of options. It seems that AT&T's policies have created at least a market, perhaps an industry.
    09-14-2009 09:29 AM
    @ whmurray thanks for your outrage. Nice to know I'm not the only one feeling that way
    Thanks guys for all of your help. I think I will just suspend my contract for the six months and use the WiFi and iPod of course. I guess I can go without for a while. At least I'll save more money.
    09-16-2009 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD