Looking at the site like benm.at, how legit are the work arounds?

Is this reversible if it becomes a problem in the future?

Does this void any warranties?
    06-30-2009 08:31 AM
    Well I tried it and you can remove it right on your iPhone and I think it voids you warranty but you can remove it right on you iPhone so apple will never know.
    06-30-2009 08:34 AM
    Um, dude, it's not legit at all.

It's a hack to the carrier file!

It's allowing you to use AT&T service to power your laptops Internet addiction for free. This is a service most carriers charge for, and AT&T hasn't "enabled" or "made this service live" yet.

I ran into a problem with it once, so I just went into settings and removed the profile. Then reinstalled. It worked like a charm.
    06-30-2009 08:37 AM
    Um, dude, it's not legit at all.

It's a hack to the carrier file!

It's allowing you to use AT&T service to power your laptops Internet addiction for free. This is a service most carriers charge for, and AT&T hasn't "enabled" or "made this service live" yet.

I ran into a problem with it once, so I just went into settings and removed the profile. Then reinstalled. It worked like a charm.
    If AT&T finds out you are tethering thought they can charge per KB.
    06-30-2009 08:49 AM
    Although this might seem to be a nifty work-around, it might also send a big red flag to AT&T. If it does, voiding your apple warranty becomes the lesser of your concerns (IMHO, of course).
    06-30-2009 09:26 AM
    Is is legit? Thats questionable. Does is work? Yes. I'm pretty sure it doesn't void your warranty btw.
    06-30-2009 11:52 AM
    It doesnt void your warranty.

Yes it works I use it.

My detailed bill view via AT&T shows nothing different than if I search or used internet via my iPhone it gains access via the same wap.cingular portal as your iPhonne data does. So long as you dont abuse it and dont kill the 5gb unlimited cap we have, you should be fine. People use slingplayer ovoer 3G and lots of people have been using PDANet via Jailbreak, and theyve been fine for a while.

But it for sure doesnt void your warranty, its can be taken of and restored away.
    06-30-2009 12:33 PM
    It doesnt void your warranty.

So long as you dont abuse it and dont kill the 5gb unlimited cap we have, you should be fine. People use slingplayer ovoer 3G and lots of people have been using PDANet via Jailbreak, and theyve been fine for a while.

But it for sure doesnt void your warranty, its can be taken of and restored away.

I downloaded it today and tried it out. Then I turned it off. I can't think of when I'd ever have the need for this (beyond just because) but it won't hurt or do anything to just leave the config file there, right? If I'm not tethered then it is just a file on my phone? If I ever have the need for it then I could turn tethering on?
    06-30-2009 12:38 PM
    I downloaded it today and tried it out. Then I turned it off. I can't think of when I'd ever have the need for this (beyond just because) but it won't hurt or do anything to just leave the config file there, right? If I'm not tethered then it is just a file on my phone? If I ever have the need for it then I could turn tethering on?
    Youre worrying for nothing. It wont hurt to leave it there. Its just a profile is all. And yes if you need it you can turn it on so long as you still have the profile on your phone.

06-30-2009 02:19 PM
    Is is legit? Thats questionable. Does is work? Yes. I'm pretty sure it doesn't void your warranty btw.
    Yes it does work.
    06-30-2009 02:23 PM
    Two co workers who changed their phone to use the tethering hack now show wap.xxxx.com instead of 'phone' on the data details page. They no longer show 'phone' on any entries and the changed occurred ON the very day they made the hack. AT&T will know you have modified this. Just an FYI.
    06-30-2009 06:21 PM
    Two co workers who changed their phone to use the tethering hack now show wap.xxxx.com instead of 'phone' on the data details page. They no longer show 'phone' on any entries and the changed occurred ON the very day they made the hack. AT&T will know you have modified this. Just an FYI.
    Well sucks for them, they must have used a bad carrier file. Since I have owned the iPhone the iPhone all my access has showed as wap.cingular. This dates back to even before the tethering hack was even out. So maybe they should check again. My bill comes in tomorrow, I'll let you know if I have extra charges. Which I wont, because they dont know....
    06-30-2009 06:30 PM
    Well sucks for them, they must have used a bad carrier file. Since I have owned the iPhone the iPhone all my access has showed as wap.cingular. This dates back to even before the tethering hack was even out. So maybe they should check again. My bill comes in tomorrow, I'll let you know if I have extra charges. Which I wont, because they dont know....
    INteresting. What is the difference between 'phone' data and wap.cingular data?
    I looked online at my bill and dont see wap.cingular anywhere on my bill. Maybe it means nothing. I hope you dont get charged any extra.
    07-01-2009 12:04 AM
    INteresting. What is the difference between 'phone' data and wap.cingular data?
    I looked online at my bill and dont see wap.cingular anywhere on my bill. Maybe it means nothing. I hope you dont get charged any extra.
    Youre looking at the deatiled data view and not seeing wap.cingular? Its there, for me and lots of people I know. I think youre not looking in the correct spot. And no, I am not worried about charges because they arent going to know, sheesh, if you dont abuse it they will never take note. Me = not worried.

07-01-2009 12:14 AM
    I dont see "phone" or "wap.cingular" anywhere on my bill....

All mine says is "data transfer" then "data"......So i am not sure what everyone is talking about
    07-01-2009 02:55 AM
    I dont see "phone" or "wap.cingular" anywhere on my bill....

All mine says is "data transfer" then "data"......So i am not sure what everyone is talking about
    excellent!

Youre looking at the deatiled data view and not seeing wap.cingular? Its there, for me and lots of people I know. I think youre not looking in the correct spot.
    That is correct.
    Regarding location, is there more than one detailed data view? I dont think there is. So I am pretty sure I am looking in the correct location. I have so many records maybe I just dont see it on the pages I have available.
    Last edited by GreenLightJerky; 07-01-2009 at 03:06 AM.
    07-01-2009 03:03 AM
    I checked and I do show wap.cingular instead of phone yesterday. I also show it from last week, though, when my phone was completely normal. So I'm not sure that it actually means anything. I have both phone and wap.cingular for the internet/data entries. Weird.
    07-01-2009 12:11 PM
    @GreenLightJerky

If you go to the ATT website and log in you'll get the summary tab. If you click on the line and data you'll see a summary. In the upper right corner is a "view details" link and it shows the data details like the call details (Date; Time; To/From; Type; Direction; Msg/KB/min)

Under To/From I sometimes have "Phone" and sometimes have "wap.cingular". But I had the wap.cingular entries from before I installed the hack - so I'm not sure what it means.
    07-01-2009 12:16 PM
    @GreenLightJerky

If you go to the ATT website and log in you'll get the summary tab. If you click on the line and data you'll see a summary. In the upper right corner is a "view details" link and it shows the data details like the call details (Date; Time; To/From; Type; Direction; Msg/KB/min)

Under To/From I sometimes have "Phone" and sometimes have "wap.cingular". But I had the wap.cingular entries from before I installed the hack - so I'm not sure what it means.
    Exactly the same spot I was looking. I will assume it means nothing at this poing then.
    07-01-2009 12:30 PM
    I heard that it messed up SMS and Visual Voicemail. Is that true?
    07-01-2009 12:46 PM
    I heard that it messed up SMS and Visual Voicemail. Is that true?
    My 2 coworkers had no issues with SMS or Visual Voicemail.

EDIT: I scoured my 4000 entry bill from June and I finally found wap.cingular on the details page. I informed my coworkers that they really should have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by GreenLightJerky; 07-01-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: New Information
    07-01-2009 01:08 PM
    My 2 coworkers had no issues with SMS or Visual Voicemail.

EDIT: I scoured my 4000 entry bill from June and I finally found wap.cingular on the details page. I informed my coworkers that they really should have nothing to worry about.
    Yeah there is no need to worry. So long as youre not downloading major files or like watching Hulu 24/7 and keep it to some wuick access if need be then you should be fine.

And no, the ben.at hack worked flawless for me, MMS and VVM went down for people who were messing around trying to get MMS too, not just tethering. Dont believe everything you read
    07-01-2009 05:51 PM
    I am using the hack because risking paying per KB might be preferable to waiting for AT&T to get their crap together with an official plan.

I do, however, have concerns about it. PDANet uses a totally different method to tether, which AT&T shouldn't be looking for unless they notice excessive usage.

The current hack uses (AFAIK) the exact same method that AT&T will use when they do offer tethering. It's basically the official AT&T tethering plan turned on early, isn't it? Once the plan goes live, they have to have a way to know when you're tethering. So I find it hard to believe that there's not some flag that gets sent when you tether this way.

That being said, I have looked at my bill and so far see no unusual charges or notations, but I won't relax until the first month's bill starts coming in for people since 3.0 has come out.

Off the subject of charges, the way it works is really amazing. Best tethering ever. I can't wait to get it legitimately so I can stop worrying about it completely. It's really just plug-and-play.
    07-01-2009 05:55 PM
    That being said, I have looked at my bill and so far see no unusual charges or notations, but I won't relax until the first month's bill starts coming in for people since 3.0 has come out.

Off the subject of charges, the way it works is really amazing. Best tethering ever. I can't wait to get it legitimately so I can stop worrying about it completely. It's really just plug-and-play.
    Got my bill for this month, which includes dates I added the tethering profile to me phone. Same amount as always, no changes, charges, nothing. I think people need to chill out just a tad. This seems like such a silly thing to worry about. AT&T has millions of customers, yet theyre going to find the .5% of their iphone customers and other cell customers who have this hack? Really? Really? Seriously people have no worries.
    07-01-2009 06:00 PM
    took the dive, and installed the custom profile form benm.at --- i get this message when i try to setup tethering... its been uninstalled...
    Attachment 1639

as an aside, does it matter that i have my developer profile also installed on the phone?
    07-01-2009 07:08 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD