How legit is the AT&T tethering workaround?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Looking at the site like benm.at, how legit are the work arounds?

Is this reversible if it becomes a problem in the future?

Does this void any warranties?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Well I tried it and you can remove it right on your iPhone and I think it voids you warranty but you can remove it right on you iPhone so apple will never know.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Um, dude, it's not legit at all.

It's a hack to the carrier file!

It's allowing you to use AT&T service to power your laptops Internet addiction for free. This is a service most carriers charge for, and AT&T hasn't "enabled" or "made this service live" yet.

I ran into a problem with it once, so I just went into settings and removed the profile. Then reinstalled. It worked like a charm.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Um, dude, it's not legit at all.

It's a hack to the carrier file!

It's allowing you to use AT&T service to power your laptops Internet addiction for free. This is a service most carriers charge for, and AT&T hasn't "enabled" or "made this service live" yet.

I ran into a problem with it once, so I just went into settings and removed the profile. Then reinstalled. It worked like a charm.

If AT&T finds out you are tethering thought they can charge per KB.

gonzothegreat

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Although this might seem to be a nifty work-around, it might also send a big red flag to AT&T. If it does, voiding your apple warranty becomes the lesser of your concerns (IMHO, of course).

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It doesnt void your warranty.

Yes it works I use it.

My detailed bill view via AT&T shows nothing different than if I search or used internet via my iPhone it gains access via the same wap.cingular portal as your iPhonne data does. So long as you dont abuse it and dont kill the 5gb unlimited cap we have, you should be fine. People use slingplayer ovoer 3G and lots of people have been using PDANet via Jailbreak, and theyve been fine for a while.

But it for sure doesnt void your warranty, its can be taken of and restored away.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It doesnt void your warranty.

So long as you dont abuse it and dont kill the 5gb unlimited cap we have, you should be fine. People use slingplayer ovoer 3G and lots of people have been using PDANet via Jailbreak, and theyve been fine for a while.

But it for sure doesnt void your warranty, its can be taken of and restored away.

I downloaded it today and tried it out. Then I turned it off. I can't think of when I'd ever have the need for this (beyond just because) but it won't hurt or do anything to just leave the config file there, right? If I'm not tethered then it is just a file on my phone? If I ever have the need for it then I could turn tethering on?

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded it today and tried it out. Then I turned it off. I can't think of when I'd ever have the need for this (beyond just because) but it won't hurt or do anything to just leave the config file there, right? If I'm not tethered then it is just a file on my phone? If I ever have the need for it then I could turn tethering on?

Youre worrying for nothing. It wont hurt to leave it there. Its just a profile is all. And yes if you need it you can turn it on so long as you still have the profile on your phone.
usbteth.jpg

usbtethpro.jpg

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Two co workers who changed their phone to use the tethering hack now show wap.xxxx.com instead of 'phone' on the data details page. They no longer show 'phone' on any entries and the changed occurred ON the very day they made the hack. AT&T will know you have modified this. Just an FYI.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Two co workers who changed their phone to use the tethering hack now show wap.xxxx.com instead of 'phone' on the data details page. They no longer show 'phone' on any entries and the changed occurred ON the very day they made the hack. AT&T will know you have modified this. Just an FYI.

Well sucks for them, they must have used a bad carrier file. Since I have owned the iPhone the iPhone all my access has showed as wap.cingular. This dates back to even before the tethering hack was even out. So maybe they should check again. My bill comes in tomorrow, I'll let you know if I have extra charges. Which I wont, because they dont know....

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Well sucks for them, they must have used a bad carrier file. Since I have owned the iPhone the iPhone all my access has showed as wap.cingular. This dates back to even before the tethering hack was even out. So maybe they should check again. My bill comes in tomorrow, I'll let you know if I have extra charges. Which I wont, because they dont know....

INteresting. What is the difference between 'phone' data and wap.cingular data?
I looked online at my bill and dont see wap.cingular anywhere on my bill. Maybe it means nothing. I hope you dont get charged any extra.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
INteresting. What is the difference between 'phone' data and wap.cingular data?
I looked online at my bill and dont see wap.cingular anywhere on my bill. Maybe it means nothing. I hope you dont get charged any extra.

Youre looking at the deatiled data view and not seeing wap.cingular? Its there, for me and lots of people I know. I think youre not looking in the correct spot. And no, I am not worried about charges because they arent going to know, sheesh, if you dont abuse it they will never take note. Me = not worried.

:cool:

bayourock

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I dont see "phone" or "wap.cingular" anywhere on my bill....

All mine says is "data transfer" then "data"......So i am not sure what everyone is talking about

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I dont see "phone" or "wap.cingular" anywhere on my bill....

All mine says is "data transfer" then "data"......So i am not sure what everyone is talking about

excellent! :D

Youre looking at the deatiled data view and not seeing wap.cingular? Its there, for me and lots of people I know. I think youre not looking in the correct spot.

That is correct.
Regarding location, is there more than one detailed data view? I dont think there is. So I am pretty sure I am looking in the correct location. I have so many records maybe I just dont see it on the pages I have available.

Last edited:

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

I checked and I do show wap.cingular instead of phone yesterday. I also show it from last week, though, when my phone was completely normal. So I'm not sure that it actually means anything. I have both phone and wap.cingular for the internet/data entries. Weird.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
@GreenLightJerky

If you go to the ATT website and log in you'll get the summary tab. If you click on the line and data you'll see a summary. In the upper right corner is a "view details" link and it shows the data details like the call details (Date; Time; To/From; Type; Direction; Msg/KB/min)

Under To/From I sometimes have "Phone" and sometimes have "wap.cingular". But I had the wap.cingular entries from before I installed the hack - so I'm not sure what it means.

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
@GreenLightJerky

If you go to the ATT website and log in you'll get the summary tab. If you click on the line and data you'll see a summary. In the upper right corner is a "view details" link and it shows the data details like the call details (Date; Time; To/From; Type; Direction; Msg/KB/min)

Under To/From I sometimes have "Phone" and sometimes have "wap.cingular". But I had the wap.cingular entries from before I installed the hack - so I'm not sure what it means.

Exactly the same spot I was looking. I will assume it means nothing at this poing then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox