Verizon Blackberry Storm, should I switch?

gstriph

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
verizon nw ohio

Hi - I'm currently 2 weeks into the 30 day trial of the iPhone in NW Ohio. I still have my Verizon Blackberry Curve. Other than deep inside buildings, I haven't had a dropped call or service issue with Verizon in about 8 years.

The iPhone/ATT drop about 2-3 calls a day in our area. It's interesting, you can watch the bars go up and down as you walk just a few feet in some locations. In NW Ohio/Indiana so far, I have Verizon EVDO (3g) pretty diffusely and 1x (phone service) everywhere. ATT has spotty 3g but pretty good EDGE coverage though I was w/o service in 1 region in IN. Their coverage map isnt very accurate.

Overall, the ATT service isn't so bad in comparison in this area to be the true decider. As for the phones -- somethings are spectacular on the iPhone - you need to do a trial to see. Somethings are still better on the blackberry.

OVerall, I love having one device that has music, internet, unlocked GPS, camera, and phone more than absolutely perfect phone service... YMMV.

jervis961

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I switched from the storm to the iPhone last week and love it. I only get a bar of service here and there in the house while I had full bars with Verizon. I would rather find a way to boost my signal in the house than to give up the iPhone.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I switched from the storm to the iPhone. I can't give a comparison on carriers because I used my storm unlocked on tmobile but as far as devices go. I absolutely love my iPhone. I didn't really care forcthe need to click the screen on the storm. Blackberry still has the best email solution but MobileMe gives me the push email that I like. I'm hoping an update in the future will allow push email for other email platforms. I don't think you will regret making the switch.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you can say that one carrier has better service than another. It's all about where you use your phone the most. That being said, every carrier has online coverage viewerrs that may give you an indication about your service quality. True, in densely populated areas AT&T can tend to be a bit slow but we're talking big cities like Chicago, new York, la, and dc. I suggested looking at those coverage viewers and deciding from there. Both the iPhone and storm are going to be the top of theirs class in coverage for their repective carriers.

I won't comment on the devices because that's been done a million times before. However, I believe many plans are going to be cheaper on AT&T versus similar plans on verizon.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt too. I do work for for AT&T, but surprisingly enough I've been a sprint customer for 11 years as well so I try to remain as objective as possible

Last edited:

emjay1986

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone is a great device. Obviously if emails your thing you can't do without, you probably need the tour on big red, but since you got the storm, it must not be. In that case, the iPhone is a winner. AT&T is slightly cheaper then Big Red. But Big Red is Big Red for a reason, lol. I have never had an issue with AT&T customer service. In fact I rarely have to call them, which is good. Overall, go iPhone. It's a great device that's gets updated quite frequently.

bgro

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I used the Storm for about a week and I found that it was no comparison to an iPhone. iPhone wins in every respect except push email. Much better blackberries out there than the Storm imho.

sbrianw

Jun 6, 2009
twitter.com
My roommate works for VZW. A lot of people have been disappointed in the Storm, and VZW is especially disappointed as they thought it would do much better than it has. Apparently a lot of die-hard blackberry users didn't like the transition from the true QWERTY keyboard to touch screen (springboard? whatever that's called) and want their buttons back! I had a curve before my iPhone so it was a little weird for me too...

My VZW customer service was excellent. Retail help was awful. Exactly the opposite with ATT - in-store help was great, but questions about billing, etc...reps are terribly rude on the phone.