AT&T Announcement

An Update for our Customers

Some customers have had questions about our plans and policies for iPhone 3G S, and wed like to provide you with answers. Wed also like to announce a change to the date when some iPhone customers are eligible for our best upgrade pricing to iPhone 3G S.
    PRICING

Importantly, we want our customers to better understand our wireless device upgrade program. Like most U.S. carriers, we offer a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

We also currently offer early upgrade pricing only for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.

All of that said, weve been listening to our customers. And since many of our iPhone 3G customers are early adopters and literally weeks shy of being upgrade eligible due to iPhone 3G S launching 11 months after iPhone 3G, were extending the window of upgrade eligibility for a limited time.

Were now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.

If youre one of the many customers who will benefit from this change, please note that our upgrade eligibility tools will reflect this change on Thursday, June 18.

We invite you to come to our stores beginning Friday during normal store hours, although please be aware that customer demand may exceed supply in some of our stores. You may also preorder online on June 18 at iPhone 3G S, Exclusively from AT&T and Apple - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular, and your iPhone 3G S will arrive in 7 14 days. Or you can purchase iPhone 3G S at Apples retail and online stores, as well as at other popular retailers.

If youre one of the customers who benefits from this change, and youve already preordered from an AT&T store, well adjust the price of the device when you pick it up. If you benefit from the change and you pre-ordered from AT&T online, well send you an e-mail and issue you a credit.

If you pre-ordered an iPhone 3G S through Apples online store, your upgrade eligibility will be reassessed based on AT&T's new upgrade policy for iPhone 3G owners. If you are eligible for the lower price, Apple will issue you a credit for the difference as applicable.

So, what if you still arent eligible for our best upgrade pricing and you still want iPhone 3G S now? You do have options:

* You may qualify for the iPhone 3G S early upgrade price of $399 (16GB) or $499 (32GB).
    * You can pay full retail and not have to sign a 2-year contract at $599 (16GB) or $699 (32GB).
    * You can wait until youre eligible for our best upgrade pricing. We invite you to check your upgrade eligibility by visiting iPhone 3G S, Exclusively from AT&T and Apple - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular, calling *NEW# (*639#) on your AT&T device (well send you a text with upgrade information), or visiting any of our over 2,200 stores.

If you want more details on our pricing and upgrade policy, check out our FAQs. And as always, you may visit one of our stores to talk with a representative.
    In Summary

Weve listened to our customers and hope our response helps answer some of your questions and concerns.

We are incredibly proud to be the U.S. carrier for the new iPhone 3G S and will work around the clock to be ready on June 19 to serve customers who are interested in the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.

Learn more about iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.
    06-17-2009 01:26 PM
    Bout time they listened.. kinda.
    06-17-2009 02:06 PM
    That's good they did that even though they were within there rights to charge the current prices. At least AT&T is trying to keep some customers happy.
    06-17-2009 02:10 PM
    I don't understand how this affects 3G customers. Unless I'm missing something, I believe no 3G customers are available for upgrade during those months. I bought my 3G on the day of launch and am not upgrade-eligible until December. Does this not confuse anyone else?
    06-17-2009 03:25 PM
    Theoritically they only concede 3 months.. July, August and September.. so it's not all that. If you were eligible for a new 2 year contract during those months you don't have to wait. I'm a good example, my contract is up August 31,2009 so I won't have to wait till then.
    06-17-2009 03:27 PM
    I don't understand how this affects 3G customers. Unless I'm missing something, I believe no 3G customers are available for upgrade during those months. I bought my 3G on the day of launch and am not upgrade-eligible until December. Does this not confuse anyone else?
    I bought my 3G on launch day last year and am now eligible for the cheap price. The price of your monthly bill has an affect on how quickly you become eligible for upgrades.
    06-17-2009 03:29 PM
    If you purchased your 3G in July, August or september of 2008, you can purchase a 3G S tomorrow with the full subsidy.

The best upgrade eligibility is 12 months, so if you purchased on iDay last year and you had the best upgrade eligibility, you could not purchase a 3G S with full subsidy until July 12th of this year. If you had 18 month upgrade eligibility you couldn't purchase one with full subsidy until december.

AT&T has decided to give full subsidy to any 3G owner that purchased their phone (I am assuming from Apple or AT&T) in July, August or September, right now, you do not have to wait until december to upgrade.
    06-17-2009 03:30 PM
    If you purchased your 3G in July, August or september of 2008, you can purchase a 3G S tomorrow with the full subsidy.

The best upgrade eligibility is 12 months, so if you purchased on iDay last year and you had the best upgrade eligibility, you could not purchase a 3G S with full subsidy until July 12th of this year. If you had 18 month upgrade eligibility you couldn't purchase one with full subsidy until december.

AT&T has decided to give full subsidy to any 3G owner that purchased their phone (I am assuming from Apple or AT&T) in July, August or September, right now, you do not have to wait until december to upgrade.
    I don't think that's correct. I think your ability to upgrade just gets pushed up to Friday if you originally would have had to wait until July, August, or September.
    06-17-2009 03:39 PM
    I bought my 3G on launch day last year and am now eligible for the cheap price. The price of your monthly bill has an affect on how quickly you become eligible for upgrades.
    Hmm, I guess I didn't think of that. How much was your monthly bill?
    06-17-2009 03:41 PM
    Hmm, I guess I didn't think of that. How much was your monthly bill?
    Mine is around $120 between my iPhone and my husband's crap phone.
    06-17-2009 03:42 PM
    It's not the total monthly bill, it's based on individual lines. If you have a shared plan the master line will be billed the main voice (~$40), plus iPhone data ($30), plus shared text ($30) and that would put the main line over $100.
    06-17-2009 03:49 PM
    I don't think that's correct. I think your ability to upgrade just gets pushed up to Friday if you originally would have had to wait until July, August, or September.
    Yep, just re-read it, you are correct, that's exactly what it says.
    06-17-2009 03:49 PM
    I guess we know who wears the pants in that family. 
    06-17-2009 03:55 PM
    It's not the total monthly bill, it's based on individual lines. If you have a shared plan the master line will be billed the main voice (~$40), plus iPhone data ($30), plus shared text ($30) and that would put the main line over $100.
    You're right. It's per line, not the whole bill. My bad.
    06-17-2009 03:58 PM
    I guess we know who wears the pants in that family. 
    LOL! He actually hates cell phones. If I didn't make him, he wouldn't even have a phone.
    06-17-2009 03:59 PM
    Sounds like my husband. I spend around $235.00 between my iPhone, my son's phone and my wireless card. I should be able to get an upgrade before october. But, it's not that far off anyway. I can wait, i think. lol
    06-17-2009 04:05 PM
    Well, if this works, I will be eligable for an upgrade on Friday. I don't know if I want to order one online, or wait in line at AT&T. Truthfully, I can't imagine too many people waiting in line in Edinburg, TX. Of course, I said that about the 3G last year in Vero Beach, FL. I got to my store about noon, and there were about 15 people in line. I still got one though!
    06-17-2009 05:29 PM
    Has anyone's eligibility already changed?

Mine hasn't yet. I know llofte stated on twitters hers had already changed. Just wondering if anyone else's has as well for tomorrow?

I guess if mine doesn't change by morning, I'll call.

I hope this stupid flip phone I'm using isn't going to make my life hard.

We sold our 3G phones to recoup some of the money we'd spend on the 3G Ses, and we've been using crap flip phones since last week. I didn't make any changes to my plan though. iPhone 3g data plans still in place and all. Just popped my SIM into the crap phone.

Right now it says 7/11/2009, hopefully that will change tomorrow.
    06-18-2009 01:04 AM
    Mine used to be 7/11, it changed to 12/11, now it is still 12/11. I am calling right now.
    06-18-2009 10:01 AM
    The woman I spoke with on the phone had no idea why it changed to 12/11 for my eligability. She "notated" the account, so hopefully I will be able to go in tomorrow and get a new phone. Cross fingers! Anyone care to place odds that if I go to an AT&T store tomorrow, they will let me purchase the new 3GS with the reduced pricing?

Chris
    06-18-2009 10:41 AM
    yeah i called today and they said i wasn't eligible for an upgrade until 12/15/2009
    and i bought the iPhone 3G 2 days after launch, it's so confusing.
    and my bill each month is 105 and change.
    Last edited by CraigR; 06-18-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    06-18-2009 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD