I have a Blackberry, and I am not due for an upgrade for another few months. Another line on my plan is due for an upgrade though.

Would I be able to get the 3GS under the other lines upgrade, and just switch it over to my line?
    If so, is it something I have to be sneaky about or can I just explain to the guy at Apple/AT&T what I want to do?
    Is it something I'd have to do at AT&T or can I do it at Apple?

Any information is appreciated.
    06-15-2009 03:40 PM
    If I were you I would call from a landline (that is not a number linked to the account) and just ask.

It shouldn't be a problem at all, but I'm not certain.
    06-15-2009 03:50 PM
    Thats pretty much what Im doing, except my existing inelgible line is Iphone 3G I got last July. In my case I dont see why it shouldnt work as both accounts will be through ATT and with the ATT $30 Iphone plan on each phone.
    In your case with the blackberry, Im not sure if itd work, since your elgible line that you would order the Iphone under, would automatically get the ATT Iphone $30 data plan. Then if you gonna use your Blackberrys sim, youd have to add another Iphone data plan to it, so you basically would get stuck paying for 2 iphone data plans, but using one iphone.... I could be wrong tho,,,,anyone? anyone? Bueller ?
    06-15-2009 03:59 PM
    If I were you I would call from a landline (that is not a number linked to the account) and just ask.

It shouldn't be a problem at all, but I'm not certain.
    Or *67 611 AT&T
    06-15-2009 04:00 PM
    The line that is eligible for upgrade is currently a Motorola Razr. I was hoping they could upgrade me to the iPhone with out changing anything under the other plan. I do not want to pay $30 for a Blackberry plan since the Razr is all that is needed for the other plan.
    06-15-2009 04:03 PM
    You should be able to you will just go and change the plans around and they will detect you have a iphone on w.e line you are using.
    06-15-2009 04:04 PM
    They can move the upgrade to another line on the account.
    06-15-2009 04:04 PM
    They can move the upgrade to another line on the account.
    I did not know this. Good thing to know.
    06-15-2009 04:06 PM
    I didnt know this either.... just doesnt sound like AT&T to be so "generous"...
    06-15-2009 04:07 PM
    I didnt know this either.... just doesnt sound like AT&T to be so "generous"...
    I know it does not sound like AT&T.
    06-15-2009 04:08 PM
    I did this in January for the 3G. I had two lines and it was my wife's line that was due for the upgrade. I actually bought mine at Walmart (They were the only one open on Jan 1st!) Anyway I explained to the lady that I wanted to upgrade my wife's line, then switch the phone over to the other line. What she did was upgrade my wifes line, then we switched the sims, and she called ATT to make sure all the Iphone stuff was canceled on my wifes line, and the old stuff was put back on. She then added all the iphone stuff to my line. It was all in all pretty simple except it took 45 minutes in Walmart because she was kinda slow. I should also note that both my plan and my wifes plan already had PDA plans on it, so it was just a simple technicality.

Now in April, 2 weeks before MY line was eligable, I went into ATT to try and do the same thing. ATT would not do it because I was still two weeks from my upgrade date, but I did add a line since we had been talking about haveing a third phone for the kids.

All in all, I think its something you can do yourself as long as you can switch the sim. You will just have to call ATT and ask them to remove the iphone stuff from the line you upgrade, and have the iphone stuff added to the SIM you are currently using (Blackberry).

Hopefully this explains it! Good luck
    06-15-2009 04:15 PM
    Trust me, I didn't think so either, but then I read this...
    http://www.att.com/Common/merger/fil...omers_FAQs.pdf

My kids and I are on a FamilyTalk plan. I'm not eligible for an upgrade for iPhone 3G S but one of my kids is upgrade ready. Can I swap lines and take his upgrade eligibility on the 19th? Will I need to start a new two-year service agreement?

Yes, you can rearrange your account to take advantage of your childs upgrade eligibility and yes, you will need to sign a new 2-year service agreement.
    06-15-2009 04:16 PM
    I did this in January for the 3G. I had two lines and it was my wife's line that was due for the upgrade. I actually bought mine at Walmart (They were the only one open on Jan 1st!) Anyway I explained to the lady that I wanted to upgrade my wife's line, then switch the phone over to the other line. What she did was upgrade my wifes line, then we switched the sims, and she called ATT to make sure all the Iphone stuff was canceled on my wifes line, and the old stuff was put back on. She then added all the iphone stuff to my line. It was all in all pretty simple except it took 45 minutes in Walmart because she was kinda slow. I should also note that both my plan and my wifes plan already had PDA plans on it, so it was just a simple technicality.

Now in April, 2 weeks before MY line was eligable, I went into ATT to try and do the same thing. ATT would not do it because I was still two weeks from my upgrade date, but I did add a line since we had been talking about haveing a third phone for the kids.

All in all, I think its something you can do yourself as long as you can switch the sim. You will just have to call ATT and ask them to remove the iphone stuff from the line you upgrade, and have the iphone stuff added to the SIM you are currently using (Blackberry).

Hopefully this explains it! Good luck
    Thanks for your thorough explanation. I do have ONE question for you tho, that you may know the answer to.
    I signed up with a 2 year contract a year ago when 3G came out, on my line.
    I am now ordering the 3GS under my wife's elgible line which gave me the discounted $299 for a 32GB. So I should be able to just swap the sim cards and have her use my 3G .
    you mentioned something about removing the iphone stuff(Im guessing you meant the data plan),,, can I still remove the data plan from my wife's line so she can just have my old 3G and use it as a phone and use the internet when at home with out wifi , or do you think BOTH lines would have to keep their Iphone Data Plan?

Thanks again
    06-15-2009 04:44 PM
    Same thing for me last year. You can upgrade on that line that has an upgrade and then they will attach that sim to your number ( the one without an upgrade )
    06-15-2009 05:04 PM
    Thanks for your thorough explanation. I do have ONE question for you tho, that you may know the answer to.
    I signed up with a 2 year contract a year ago when 3G came out, on my line.
    I am now ordering the 3GS under my wife's elgible line which gave me the discounted $299 for a 32GB. So I should be able to just swap the sim cards and have her use my 3G .
    you mentioned something about removing the iphone stuff(Im guessing you meant the data plan),,, can I still remove the data plan from my wife's line so she can just have my old 3G and use it as a phone and use the internet when at home with out wifi , or do you think BOTH lines would have to keep their Iphone Data Plan?

Thanks again
    AT&T will detect you are using a iPhone and put data plan on.
    06-15-2009 05:05 PM
    OK- Let me get this straight. I don't even have to worry about going to Apple or AT&T? I can preorder it under the number that is due for an upgrade. When I get it, I just switch everything to the plan that wasn't due for an upgrade?

This is good to hear since I dont have to keep going back and forth to Apple/ATT and hearing that they ran out or whatever.. If I can just get mine in the mail and set it up that would be PERFECT!
    06-15-2009 05:37 PM
    I called AT&T and the guy said it wouldn't be a problem. Would just have to call and have everything switched over once I got the iPhone in the mail.
    06-15-2009 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD