Question about iPhone in Canada

AlexBlom

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am an Australian who is about to live in Hamilton, Ontario for a year. I've got a few iphone questions - hopefully somebody is able to help out.

1) I currently own an unlocked Iphone 3g. Rogers and Fido seem to be the top two providers over there but deciphering their prepaid plans is bloody difficult. What plans do you all suggest for a call / decent data (at least 1gb) system? (or is this pretty much non existent)

2) Do Canadian carriers sell unlocked Iphones over there? (meaning can be used on any carrier). I'll probably want to upgrade to the 3GS when it is out. (if not I'll need to buy an unlocked one here and have it shipped over, lol).

Thanks for any feedback,
Alex

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
1) Rogers owns Fido but there are differences. You basically need a voice + data plan. If you don't want a contract, and to pay month-by-month, you won't have as many choices. Cheapest plan that I know that anyone has is around 200 minutes plus around 200MB of data for about $30 a month.

2) No unlocked iPhones for sale in Canada. :(

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
You can get an unlock phone from any independent dealer, but the price is high. Fido and Rogers are your only option at this time for GSM service. That might change by year end. If your phone is unlocked, you just need a Rogers/Fido sim then choose the plan best suit you.

AlexBlom

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the clarifications and feedback. I can't believe you guys can't buy them unlocked over there, I should bring a suitcase full with me! haha

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro