will at&t let current iphone 3g users upgrade?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Wait for Iphone rev4. The 3GS is not worth it. You'll be fine on OS 3.0 and the updates after until rev4 is out.

Yeah that's what we are going to do. I'm not concerned with video. If I really needed it, I would have jailbroken and downloaded cycorder a LONG time ago.

Jailbreaking makes the phone run like crap.

On top of that, I have a sony cybershot I keep in my purse that suits just as well if I need to record video or take better pics.

lagringa

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Swap SIM from 3G to 3Gs?

I got the exact same thing. However, I put in my 2nd non-iphone line number and bam, this is what I got:

* $99.00* ? 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
* $199.00* ? 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
* $299.00* ? 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Now the question is, if I order that and give my current 8G to my wife (who has the 2nd elgible line),, can I just swap SIM cards and use the new one for myself ? :D:confused:

Same boat here - I'd love to swap SIM cards between a 3Gs and a 3G to take advantage of the eligibility. Anyone have any insight?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Really; that is crazy. I thought I heard that they offer the new customer price to current iPhone customers too.

That was last year, and last year only.

That wasn't really a "thank you for having an iPhone" situation.

When 1st gen iPhone users bought their phones, they paid an outright price (499/599).

Therefore, they never used an upgrade, just signed a 2-yr.

Either way - when the 3G came out, and if you still have a 1st gen, your upgrade was still in tact.

AT&T did no one any favors (nor do they ever lol), and this time, current 3G owners are still in contract. So, you'll have to wait until your eligible or pay a premium. Me, personally, any 3G user would be wasting money. The phones do almost the same thing. If you're hardcore about video and a better camera, I'm assuming you'd already have a nicer camera than a phone could provide you anyways (like myself).

I'll be perfectly happy with 3.0 and wait for 4.0 hardware and see what that has to offer.

(PS: This will be the first time I've EVER kept a phone for a full contract, haha)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think they are going on a customer by customer basis. When I go to buy one now (just did it out of curiosity) on the apple site, this is what I get when it checks my eligibility...

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 03/12/2010.

* $299.00* ? 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
* $399.00* ? 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
* $499.00* ? 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Yep, won't pay it, my iPhone 3G 16GB will do just fine til I'm fully eligible to upgrade. And I don't even know if I will then.

This upgrade is kind of sad, and lame, and I'm irritated MMS is being delayed because AT&T apparently can't get their crap together.
I went to the AT&T site. Got the same boiler-plate but the 3GS was not available on their site. Do you have a url?

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
you know i read these posts from all of you saying its not worth it and you all sound like a bunch of cry babies. Finally we get video on the iPhone and a BETTER CPU/speeds to boot and everyone is crying over upgrade costs.

When i bought the first iPhone i paid an arm and a leg for it..and i never complained a second I loved owning the magical device for its time. Now when we get a faster iPhone + video it will be even more magical.

You won't see tears coming from me I'm upgrading no matter what.

rayjh

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Remember - subtract the resale value of your old phone

How much will a used iphone 3G sell for on ebay or craigslist? $300? More? If you factor that in your _net_ cost to upgrade to 3GS may not be that much at all.

chrisyree

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
wondering

I just got a 16g from wal-mart a week ago. They told me that i can return my phone in the 1st 30 days for any reason... does anyone know if i will be able to get refunded for the new price cut or trade in for a 32g???

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Only for the hardcore I suppose... ;)

Eh I don't see anything hardcore about the new iPhone. I see another megapixel and a video camera, which I already have in my digital camera. If they added a 5MP camera, maybe I'd jump for that. But I still wouldn't until I'm eligible, but since that isn't until December anyways, I think I'll just wait for the next reincarnation.

I'll make 16GB suffice til then.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Eh I don't see anything hardcore about the new iPhone. I see another megapixel and a video camera, which I already have in my digital camera. If they added a 5MP camera, maybe I'd jump for that. But I still wouldn't until I'm eligible, but since that isn't until December anyways, I think I'll just wait for the next reincarnation.

I'll make 16GB suffice til then.

Exactly, because you are not a big tech geek I suppose. Double the ram, way faster processor, better battery, HSDPA... what else do you want...

Those things alone are worth it.

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, because you are not a big tech geek I suppose. Double the ram, way faster processor, better battery, HSPA... what else do you want...

Those things alone are worth it.

Oh believe me, I may be a girl but I'm a big tech geek I guess I just don't see a problem w/ the current hardware. It's quick, everything I do with it works fine. If I could get it for 299, I would go for it, but considering it would be 500, that's a waste of money for a phone. I was drooling over those specs in the new MB Pros though.

I don't know, the accountant and the dork in me fight internally all the time. Normally the geek wins, but as I get closer to having to start paying on my student loans, I have to let the accountant win sometimes.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Oh believe me, I may be a girl but I'm a big tech geek I guess I just don't see a problem w/ the current hardware. It's quick, everything I do with it works fine. If I could get it for 299, I would go for it, but considering it would be 500, that's a waste of money for a phone. I was drooling over those specs in the new MB Pros though.

I don't know, the accountant and the dork in me fight internally all the time. Normally the geek wins, but as I get closer to having to start paying on my student loans, I have to let the accountant win sometimes.

Ok, look at it this way. I bet you have a normal DVD player and see no need for a Blu-Ray player? I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but a normal DVD player is perfectly fine for you. You have no idea of what you are missing with Blu-Ray until you sit down and watch a kick butt movie on a awesome screen.

No different here. When you pick up a new iPhone and use it you will go back to yours and it will be like slow motion.

Wanna bet? ;)

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok, look at it this way. I bet you have a normal DVD player and see no need for a Blu-Ray player? I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but a normal DVD player is perfectly fine for you. You have no idea of what you are missing with Blu-Ray until you sit down and watch a kick butt movie on a awesome screen.

No different here. When you pick up a new iPhone and use it you will go back to yours and it will be like slow motion.

Wanna bet? ;)

Going to Agree with Ash on this one. I am sure it will be like night and day. If I had the money I would do it in a second. Problem is, I don't.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
For me it's more about the features that were rumored which we got none of, we can probably all get 300 bucks for our 3G phones on Ebay, so that would makethe new phone only 100-200 bucks, it's just that there's nothing really worth going through the trouble. For 129 bucks you can get a 10-12 mp camera at Target right now, and get 3.0 next week for free.

I know we can e-mail pics, and it works better than probably any phone out there, it's just that most people still don't have iphones, and MMS is easy to use, and most people use it daily, so it's beyond frustrating to have to wait until fall to get something that it should already have. I absolutely despise getting those viewmymessage text's andhaving to wait until I get home to turn on my computer and have to type in the password to see what has been sent to me.

Rayman2170

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
How much will a used iphone 3G sell for on ebay or craigslist? $300? More? If you factor that in your _net_ cost to upgrade to 3GS may not be that much at all.

Uhm... $40, less even... being that you can get a brand new one for $99 now. maybe if you unlock it you might be able to squeeze a few more bucks outta it.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
you know i read these posts from all of you saying its not worth it and you all sound like a bunch of cry babies. Finally we get video on the iPhone and a BETTER CPU/speeds to boot and everyone is crying over upgrade costs.

When i bought the first iPhone i paid an arm and a leg for it..and i never complained a second I loved owning the magical device for its time. Now when we get a faster iPhone + video it will be even more magical.

You won't see tears coming from me I'm upgrading no matter what.
Early adopters pay a premium; get over it. I once paid $700- for a Treo. I made enough money on Apple stock over the past three weeks to more than cover my phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro