will at&t let current iphone 3g users upgrade?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Early adopters pay a premium; get over it. I once paid $700- for a Treo. I made enough money on Apple stock over the past three weeks to more than cover my phone.

You are absolutely correct. Remember that fiasco shortly after the V1 was introduced, when Apple reduced the prices of iPhones?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
you know i read these posts from all of you saying its not worth it and you all sound like a bunch of cry babies. Finally we get video on the iPhone and a BETTER CPU/speeds to boot and everyone is crying over upgrade costs.

When i bought the first iPhone i paid an arm and a leg for it..and i never complained a second I loved owning the magical device for its time. Now when we get a faster iPhone + video it will be even more magical.

You won't see tears coming from me I'm upgrading no matter what.

You seriously need to quit being such a troll.

I don't care if the phone is 400 or 1200, to me, it's just not worth the premium. That is me. I'm not complaining over the price structure at all. I did not expect to be eligible to pay 199/299 (even if I was eligible at the points, I would not bite), as to ME, this upgrade doesn't really do anything for me that my 3G already doesn't.

It isn't about complaining about the phone being so much for 3G users, it's how the upgrade will BENEFIT you.

To me, I have a digital camera I use for video recording, so that point is moot, I didn't care either way. Voice dialing, I've had it on other phones, and never once used it, so again, not worth it for me. MMS, copy/paste, landscaping keyboard, and other features I was excited about will be available in 3.0 for my current 3G.

And with that, I can't justify spending 300$. Yeah better battery and more storage space would be awesome, but to ME personally, it's just not worth 300 right now. If there was a matte back, I would have sprung for it, but it's the same plastic glossy design.

I'll stick with my 3G until the next incarnation and then decide if the upgrade is worth it then, or if I'll take what will be a discounted 3G S next summer.

All I'm saying is stop jumping on people for not wanting to upgrade, what you think is a great upgrade may not be so great for others, for several different reasons.

No need to have an attitude about it.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok, look at it this way. I bet you have a normal DVD player and see no need for a Blu-Ray player? I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but a normal DVD player is perfectly fine for you. You have no idea of what you are missing with Blu-Ray until you sit down and watch a kick butt movie on a awesome screen.

No different here. When you pick up a new iPhone and use it you will go back to yours and it will be like slow motion.

Wanna bet? ;)

Woah, way to jump to conclusions. I have a blu-ray player AND a PS3, as well as a tv that runs at 120Hz as opposed to a lower one. And am considering getting one of the new 240Hz tvs when the prices come down. I just don't always pay the premiums. I wait for a sale or for prices to come down a bit, as I am not wasteful with my money.

Please do not assume I know nothing about tech, because I do.

I also own a beast of a 24" iMac with very decent specs. I just don't see this phone being worth a 200$ premium right now. For what I use a phone for, it works.

I very rarely browse safari on my phone, and if I do, most of the sites I go to are mobile iPhone ready. I play games like super monkey ball, bejeweled 2, doodle jump and games of the like. I text, I send emails casually, etc...

anything else, I have an iMac, a MacBook, and a PC for.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Woah, way to jump to conclusions. I have a blu-ray player AND a PS3, as well as a tv that runs at 120Hz as opposed to a lower one. And am considering getting one of the new 240Hz tvs when the prices come down. I just don't always pay the premiums. I wait for a sale or for prices to come down a bit, as I am not wasteful with my money.

Please do not assume I know nothing about tech, because I do.

I also own a beast of a 24" iMac with very decent specs. I just don't see this phone being worth a 200$ premium right now. For what I use a phone for, it works.

I very rarely browse safari on my phone, and if I do, most of the sites I go to are mobile iPhone ready. I play games like super monkey ball, bejeweled 2, doodle jump and games of the like. I text, I send emails casually, etc...

anything else, I have an iMac, a MacBook, and a PC for.

You said:
Eh I don't see anything hardcore about the new iPhone. I see another megapixel and a video camera, which I already have in my digital camera.

If that is all you see... what else can I say or assume?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
You said:

If that is all you see... what else can I say or assume?

That wasn't what I meant at all.

Sigh...

You know what they say about assuming. Just because I don't see this upgrade as worthy, doesn't mean I'm tech retarded. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for the unfollow on Twitter by the way.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That wasn't what I meant at all.

Sigh...

You know what they say about assuming. Just because I don't see this upgrade as worthy, doesn't mean I'm tech retarded. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for the unfollow on Twitter by the way.

I simply read what you said, maybe you should have been more specific. Either way, everyone has a choice. To upgrade or not to upgrade. That's what makes this world go around.

Yeah, sorry, no offense - I had to cut my follow list down a bit. Does not mean I don't reply to anyone not on my list.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I simply read what you said, maybe you should have been more specific. Either way, everyone has a choice. To upgrade or not to upgrade. That's what makes this world go around.

Yeah, sorry, no offense - I had to my follow list down a bit. Does not mean I don't reply to anyone not on my list.

It's fine I'm having a really bad day for several reasons. Family related.

I'm getting off Twitter and forums for a bit. Mostly because dealing with a lot of morons that lurk is more than I can handle today. lol

As far as the upgrade goes, all I meant was I disregarded speed for these reasons:

-no 3G where I live as of now, so the increase in speed = nothing for me personally. (I upgrade to iPhone 3G because I went from 4GB to 16GB, that was reason enough then)

-my phone already runs quick, so to me, I don't think I'd notice a huge jump in pace from what i already have. i guess i'm not a very hardcore cell user. i'm a hardcore texter, but that app opening in 1 more second isn't enough to justify me spending more money on a new phone.

the new macbooks are tempting to me, that requires restraint. lol

that's all i meant.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's fine I'm having a really bad day for several reasons. Family related.

I'm getting off Twitter and forums for a bit. Mostly because dealing with a lot of morons that lurk is more than I can handle today. lol

As far as the upgrade goes, all I meant was I disregarded speed for these reasons:

-no 3G where I live as of now, so the increase in speed = nothing for me personally. (I upgrade to iPhone 3G because I went from 4GB to 16GB, that was reason enough then)

-my phone already runs quick, so to me, I don't think I'd notice a huge jump in pace from what i already have. i guess i'm not a very hardcore cell user. i'm a hardcore texter, but that app opening in 1 more second isn't enough to justify me spending more money on a new phone.

the new macbooks are tempting to me, that requires restraint. lol

that's all i meant.

And I completely understand your views. I really do. Now if you said that in the first place I would have understood where you were coming from better. I hope your day does get better! I hate bad days like that. :(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Remind me to beat you over the head when I run into you in streets of Chicago for being an idiot!!

I love you Ash but ugh, that just seems too big of a waste.

I don't appreciate name calling... little insulting and it's just not nice ya know... now I'll explain why I upgraded:

1. I have money - so I can...
2. It's a tax write off
3. I have my 3G sold for $400
4. I like it

That good enough for you?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
If I had the money, I would consider upgrading. I wouldn't be upgrading at the $600/$500/$400 price no matter what features it had - just too much money for me. $300 is probably the most I can justify (now) spending on phones.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I just checked my upgrade qualification. I currently can upgrade to the 32GB model for $499. It says on July 12, I can do a standard upgrade.

That is only 1 year from my iPhone 3G purchase. I thought the requirement was 18 months?

If I have a 1 year requirement, is that true for all phone lines on my family plan?

Chris

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I just checked my upgrade qualification. I currently can upgrade to the 32GB model for $499. It says on July 12, I can do a standard upgrade.

That is only 1 year from my iPhone 3G purchase. I thought the requirement was 18 months?

If I have a 1 year requirement, is that true for all phone lines on my family plan?

Chris

If your voice plan plus data is in excess of $100, AT&T bestows the annual upgrade option. Until March, when I dropped my plan from 1300 minutes down to 450, my upgrade date was showing up as July 12. Now, it is showing 12/12.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Good to know.

My wife (on my family plan) is eligable on 6/28/2010 (about). She got her iPhone in January of this year. My brother in law (also on the family plan) is eligable on 8/25/2010. He bought an unsubsidized iPhone in December of 2008. He also joined the family plan about Feb of 2008, so I have no idea where they got the August 2010 upgrade date for him.

This annual upgrade throws a wrinkle into the works. I still don't know if I can justify a $299 price, but a $299 upgrade, with the knowledge that I can upgrade again in a year for the NEXT model if I want, does add a new twist.

Chris

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
If your voice plan plus data is in excess of $100, AT&T bestows the annual upgrade option. Until March, when I dropped my plan from 1300 minutes down to 450, my upgrade date was showing up as July 12. Now, it is showing 12/12.

Do you know how that works for Family plans? Is it just the main line that gets 1 year eligibility? Does it not combine all the data plans on the plan? I am short by 10 bucks on my line but if you add in the other data plans on my family plan....it's well over 100 bucks and I'm still at 18 months.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am on a family plan, and it appears I am the only one eligable for a 1 year upgrade. Prior to taxes, I pay about $ 102 ($60 rate plan + $30 data plan + $30 unlimited texting - $18 discount), but I think it only looks at that one line. I don't know if it takes taxes into consideration.

Odd that I get a 20% discount on my plan, my data plan, but not the unlimited texting. Before I got a $1 discount when I had the 200 messages promotion for $5.

It appears that my brother in law, even though he did not purchas a subsidized iPhone (he bought one full price in Dec 2008) somehow got scr**ed as he is not eligable until August of 2010.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I am on a family plan, and it appears I am the only one eligable for a 1 year upgrade. Prior to taxes, I pay about $ 102 ($60 rate plan + $30 data plan + $30 unlimited texting - $18 discount), but I think it only looks at that one line. I don't know if it takes taxes into consideration.

Guess it's time to call AT&T, That's the same thing I am charged under my plan for my line. I just didn't include the unlimited texting cause I didn't think it counted.

Wolfmore

May 2, 2009
www.backtype.com
Not trying to be an ass but it's useless to dicuss this when AT&T is publishing contradictory statements. Then again step aside cause her i go  If you looks for the document called "get iReady" at AT&T site they've published an early upgrade fee of $200 extra. But this morning as states on this thread they sent out an email stating people under contract pay $400 extra or $699 for the top of the line plus you agree to 2 more year. This tells me they're a bunch of headless chickens at this time. We will just have to wait for launch day I give them more time to admit all these errors and clarify. I predict there will be a $200 extra early upgrade if you're @ least 1 yr into contract. And if not and you do have To buy it outright dont allow them to renew you to 2 years that is completely wrong. They are either taking advantage or really don't know what they are doing and u should just buy straight from some place else like Apple or Walmart.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Guess it's time to call AT&T, That's the same thing I am charged under my plan for my line. I just didn't include the unlimited texting cause I didn't think it counted.

I am not exactly sure if texting IS counted...if it is, I would assume it's prorated, like say I have a 30$ family text plan and 5 lines, 6$ worth of charges would probably be counted towards each line. That's about it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR