I got the exact same thing. However, I put in my 2nd non-iphone line number and bam, this is what I got:

* $99.00* 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
    * $199.00* 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
    * $299.00* 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Now the question is, if I order that and give my current 8G to my wife (who has the 2nd elgible line),, can I just swap SIM cards and use the new one for myself ?
    Same boat here - I'd love to swap SIM cards between a 3Gs and a 3G to take advantage of the eligibility. Anyone have any insight?
    06-08-2009 05:44 PM
    Really; that is crazy. I thought I heard that they offer the new customer price to current iPhone customers too.
    That was last year, and last year only.

That wasn't really a "thank you for having an iPhone" situation.

When 1st gen iPhone users bought their phones, they paid an outright price (499/599).

Therefore, they never used an upgrade, just signed a 2-yr.

Either way - when the 3G came out, and if you still have a 1st gen, your upgrade was still in tact.

AT&T did no one any favors (nor do they ever lol), and this time, current 3G owners are still in contract. So, you'll have to wait until your eligible or pay a premium. Me, personally, any 3G user would be wasting money. The phones do almost the same thing. If you're hardcore about video and a better camera, I'm assuming you'd already have a nicer camera than a phone could provide you anyways (like myself).

I'll be perfectly happy with 3.0 and wait for 4.0 hardware and see what that has to offer.

(PS: This will be the first time I've EVER kept a phone for a full contract, haha)
    06-08-2009 05:47 PM
    I think they are going on a customer by customer basis. When I go to buy one now (just did it out of curiosity) on the apple site, this is what I get when it checks my eligibility...

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 03/12/2010.

* $299.00* 8GB iPhone 3G (black)
    * $399.00* 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
    * $499.00* 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Yep, won't pay it, my iPhone 3G 16GB will do just fine til I'm fully eligible to upgrade. And I don't even know if I will then.

This upgrade is kind of sad, and lame, and I'm irritated MMS is being delayed because AT&T apparently can't get their crap together.
    I went to the AT&T site. Got the same boiler-plate but the 3GS was not available on their site. Do you have a url?
    06-08-2009 05:51 PM
    you know i read these posts from all of you saying its not worth it and you all sound like a bunch of cry babies. Finally we get video on the iPhone and a BETTER CPU/speeds to boot and everyone is crying over upgrade costs.

When i bought the first iPhone i paid an arm and a leg for it..and i never complained a second I loved owning the magical device for its time. Now when we get a faster iPhone + video it will be even more magical.

You won't see tears coming from me I'm upgrading no matter what.
    06-08-2009 10:24 PM
    How much will a used iphone 3G sell for on ebay or craigslist? $300? More? If you factor that in your _net_ cost to upgrade to 3GS may not be that much at all.
    06-08-2009 10:41 PM
    I just got a 16g from wal-mart a week ago. They told me that i can return my phone in the 1st 30 days for any reason... does anyone know if i will be able to get refunded for the new price cut or trade in for a 32g???
    06-09-2009 12:14 AM
    How much will a used iphone 3G sell for on ebay or craigslist? $300? More? If you factor that in your _net_ cost to upgrade to 3GS may not be that much at all.
    Check out this thread I started http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...will-sell.html
    06-09-2009 12:21 AM
    With those prices and the "updates" just don't seem quite worth it to me.

Kudos to those who do upgrade though
    06-09-2009 12:40 AM
    With those prices and the "updates" just don't seem quite worth it to me.

Kudos to those who do upgrade though
    Only for the hardcore I suppose...
    06-09-2009 12:49 AM
    Only for the hardcore I suppose...

Eh I don't see anything hardcore about the new iPhone. I see another megapixel and a video camera, which I already have in my digital camera. If they added a 5MP camera, maybe I'd jump for that. But I still wouldn't until I'm eligible, but since that isn't until December anyways, I think I'll just wait for the next reincarnation.

I'll make 16GB suffice til then.
    06-09-2009 12:50 AM
    Eh I don't see anything hardcore about the new iPhone. I see another megapixel and a video camera, which I already have in my digital camera. If they added a 5MP camera, maybe I'd jump for that. But I still wouldn't until I'm eligible, but since that isn't until December anyways, I think I'll just wait for the next reincarnation.

I'll make 16GB suffice til then.
    Exactly, because you are not a big tech geek I suppose. Double the ram, way faster processor, better battery, HSDPA... what else do you want...

Those things alone are worth it.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 06-09-2009 at 03:34 AM.
    06-09-2009 12:53 AM
    Exactly, because you are not a big tech geek I suppose. Double the ram, way faster processor, better battery, HSPA... what else do you want...

Those things alone are worth it.
    Oh believe me, I may be a girl but I'm a big tech geek I guess I just don't see a problem w/ the current hardware. It's quick, everything I do with it works fine. If I could get it for 299, I would go for it, but considering it would be 500, that's a waste of money for a phone. I was drooling over those specs in the new MB Pros though.

I don't know, the accountant and the dork in me fight internally all the time. Normally the geek wins, but as I get closer to having to start paying on my student loans, I have to let the accountant win sometimes.
    06-09-2009 12:59 AM
    Oh believe me, I may be a girl but I'm a big tech geek I guess I just don't see a problem w/ the current hardware. It's quick, everything I do with it works fine. If I could get it for 299, I would go for it, but considering it would be 500, that's a waste of money for a phone. I was drooling over those specs in the new MB Pros though.

I don't know, the accountant and the dork in me fight internally all the time. Normally the geek wins, but as I get closer to having to start paying on my student loans, I have to let the accountant win sometimes.
    Ok, look at it this way. I bet you have a normal DVD player and see no need for a Blu-Ray player? I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but a normal DVD player is perfectly fine for you. You have no idea of what you are missing with Blu-Ray until you sit down and watch a kick butt movie on a awesome screen.

No different here. When you pick up a new iPhone and use it you will go back to yours and it will be like slow motion.

Wanna bet?
    06-09-2009 01:02 AM
    Ok, look at it this way. I bet you have a normal DVD player and see no need for a Blu-Ray player? I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but a normal DVD player is perfectly fine for you. You have no idea of what you are missing with Blu-Ray until you sit down and watch a kick butt movie on a awesome screen.

No different here. When you pick up a new iPhone and use it you will go back to yours and it will be like slow motion.

Wanna bet?
    Going to Agree with Ash on this one. I am sure it will be like night and day. If I had the money I would do it in a second. Problem is, I don't.
    06-09-2009 02:30 AM
    For me it's more about the features that were rumored which we got none of, we can probably all get 300 bucks for our 3G phones on Ebay, so that would makethe new phone only 100-200 bucks, it's just that there's nothing really worth going through the trouble. For 129 bucks you can get a 10-12 mp camera at Target right now, and get 3.0 next week for free.

I know we can e-mail pics, and it works better than probably any phone out there, it's just that most people still don't have iphones, and MMS is easy to use, and most people use it daily, so it's beyond frustrating to have to wait until fall to get something that it should already have. I absolutely despise getting those viewmymessage text's andhaving to wait until I get home to turn on my computer and have to type in the password to see what has been sent to me.
    06-09-2009 03:04 AM
    Uhm... $40, less even... being that you can get a brand new one for $99 now. maybe if you unlock it you might be able to squeeze a few more bucks outta it.
    Last edited by Rayman2170; 06-09-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: grammer
    06-09-2009 03:15 AM
    you know i read these posts from all of you saying its not worth it and you all sound like a bunch of cry babies. Finally we get video on the iPhone and a BETTER CPU/speeds to boot and everyone is crying over upgrade costs.

When i bought the first iPhone i paid an arm and a leg for it..and i never complained a second I loved owning the magical device for its time. Now when we get a faster iPhone + video it will be even more magical.

Early adopters pay a premium; get over it. I once paid $700- for a Treo. I made enough money on Apple stock over the past three weeks to more than cover my phone.
    06-09-2009 08:38 AM
    Early adopters pay a premium; get over it. I once paid $700- for a Treo. I made enough money on Apple stock over the past three weeks to more than cover my phone.
    You are absolutely correct. Remember that fiasco shortly after the V1 was introduced, when Apple reduced the prices of iPhones?
    06-09-2009 09:52 AM
    I went to the AT&T site. Got the same boiler-plate but the 3GS was not available on their site. Do you have a url?
    Do it from the Apple site, not the AT&T site.
    06-09-2009 02:01 PM

You seriously need to quit being such a troll.

I don't care if the phone is 400 or 1200, to me, it's just not worth the premium. That is me. I'm not complaining over the price structure at all. I did not expect to be eligible to pay 199/299 (even if I was eligible at the points, I would not bite), as to ME, this upgrade doesn't really do anything for me that my 3G already doesn't.

It isn't about complaining about the phone being so much for 3G users, it's how the upgrade will BENEFIT you.

To me, I have a digital camera I use for video recording, so that point is moot, I didn't care either way. Voice dialing, I've had it on other phones, and never once used it, so again, not worth it for me. MMS, copy/paste, landscaping keyboard, and other features I was excited about will be available in 3.0 for my current 3G.

And with that, I can't justify spending 300$. Yeah better battery and more storage space would be awesome, but to ME personally, it's just not worth 300 right now. If there was a matte back, I would have sprung for it, but it's the same plastic glossy design.

I'll stick with my 3G until the next incarnation and then decide if the upgrade is worth it then, or if I'll take what will be a discounted 3G S next summer.

All I'm saying is stop jumping on people for not wanting to upgrade, what you think is a great upgrade may not be so great for others, for several different reasons.

No need to have an attitude about it.
    06-09-2009 02:05 PM

Wanna bet?
    Woah, way to jump to conclusions. I have a blu-ray player AND a PS3, as well as a tv that runs at 120Hz as opposed to a lower one. And am considering getting one of the new 240Hz tvs when the prices come down. I just don't always pay the premiums. I wait for a sale or for prices to come down a bit, as I am not wasteful with my money.

Please do not assume I know nothing about tech, because I do.

I also own a beast of a 24" iMac with very decent specs. I just don't see this phone being worth a 200$ premium right now. For what I use a phone for, it works.

I very rarely browse safari on my phone, and if I do, most of the sites I go to are mobile iPhone ready. I play games like super monkey ball, bejeweled 2, doodle jump and games of the like. I text, I send emails casually, etc...

anything else, I have an iMac, a MacBook, and a PC for.
    Last edited by Allyson Kazmucha; 06-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    06-09-2009 02:10 PM
    Woah, way to jump to conclusions. I have a blu-ray player AND a PS3, as well as a tv that runs at 120Hz as opposed to a lower one. And am considering getting one of the new 240Hz tvs when the prices come down. I just don't always pay the premiums. I wait for a sale or for prices to come down a bit, as I am not wasteful with my money.

Please do not assume I know nothing about tech, because I do.

I also own a beast of a 24" iMac with very decent specs. I just don't see this phone being worth a 200$ premium right now. For what I use a phone for, it works.

I very rarely browse safari on my phone, and if I do, most of the sites I go to are mobile iPhone ready. I play games like super monkey ball, bejeweled 2, doodle jump and games of the like. I text, I send emails casually, etc...

anything else, I have an iMac, a MacBook, and a PC for.
    You said:
    Eh I don't see anything hardcore about the new iPhone. I see another megapixel and a video camera, which I already have in my digital camera.
    If that is all you see... what else can I say or assume?
    06-09-2009 02:19 PM
    You said:

If that is all you see... what else can I say or assume?
    That wasn't what I meant at all.

Sigh...

You know what they say about assuming. Just because I don't see this upgrade as worthy, doesn't mean I'm tech retarded. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for the unfollow on Twitter by the way.
    06-09-2009 02:22 PM
    That wasn't what I meant at all.

Sigh...

You know what they say about assuming. Just because I don't see this upgrade as worthy, doesn't mean I'm tech retarded. That's all I'm saying.

Thanks for the unfollow on Twitter by the way.
    I simply read what you said, maybe you should have been more specific. Either way, everyone has a choice. To upgrade or not to upgrade. That's what makes this world go around.

Yeah, sorry, no offense - I had to cut my follow list down a bit. Does not mean I don't reply to anyone not on my list.
    06-09-2009 02:27 PM
    I simply read what you said, maybe you should have been more specific. Either way, everyone has a choice. To upgrade or not to upgrade. That's what makes this world go around.

Yeah, sorry, no offense - I had to my follow list down a bit. Does not mean I don't reply to anyone not on my list.
    It's fine I'm having a really bad day for several reasons. Family related.

I'm getting off Twitter and forums for a bit. Mostly because dealing with a lot of morons that lurk is more than I can handle today. lol

As far as the upgrade goes, all I meant was I disregarded speed for these reasons:

-no 3G where I live as of now, so the increase in speed = nothing for me personally. (I upgrade to iPhone 3G because I went from 4GB to 16GB, that was reason enough then)

-my phone already runs quick, so to me, I don't think I'd notice a huge jump in pace from what i already have. i guess i'm not a very hardcore cell user. i'm a hardcore texter, but that app opening in 1 more second isn't enough to justify me spending more money on a new phone.

the new macbooks are tempting to me, that requires restraint. lol

that's all i meant.
    06-09-2009 02:31 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD