AT&T stikes again...

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Well part way through the iPhone 3.0 at the key note and AT&T has struck twice... Delay on MMS and no word on tethering.... WTF!!!

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
AT&T is "supposed" to support mms by end of summer... I suspect they will have teathering at some point but they will charge you for it...

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I'm really mad. If AT&T doesn't support tethering right away I really can't responsibly upgrade to 3.0 until it's jailbroken and PDANet works. The new features are nice to play with, but no tethering will hurt my ability to do my job. :mad:

AT&T I've been using your data for free for a year! I want you to take my money! Just take it!!!

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I read on another site that mms won't be enabled until the "end of September"..

First question is why?

Second is how can we tell At@t to go to hell? A shame we can't just switch carriers..

They still haven't bothered fixing that horrid "viewmymessage" site..

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
It makes no sense, you can go get some pos free phone from att today that has mms. I wonder if jailbroken phones will have a way to get around att@t's horrid service??

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Well there alread are jail broken apps the skirt the mms issue... but my opinion is there should be no reason for me to jail break for something a simple as mms...

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Well I feel a little better with the phone coming out 2 days after 3.0. I can keep my 3G on 2.x and wait to get the new phone, and if I really need to tether I can keep my 3G in my bag and should be able to swap the SIM card, until either AT&T or the jailbreak community catches up.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, attt has got to be the worst carrier on Earth!! I'm just going to stay jailbroken, 3.0 doesn't offer much unless you get the new phone..

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
$599 for the new phone with out the new contract... eeek...

AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

Last edited:

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
If AT&T charges for MMS, I'll stick to Emailing and tell my friends to suck it up.

I don't care about tethering since AT&T will probably charge me 60 dollars just to connect.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
mms is part of text plans for everything else, I don't know how they could attempt to charge for it.

I'm trying to find what else 3.0 gives older phones and it looks like a landscape keyboard and a sound recording app is it??? There's about a hundred sound recorder apps in the app store. Gotta get the new phone for any real updates..

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
My guess is that tethering is going to uber expensive and for a limited amount of data. I also think that AT&T's network won't be able to handle the pull on the netwrok at the moment.
Honestly, until their network can handle more traffic, I'd prefer they go this route. Make it prohibitively expensive, so only the people who really need to tether will do it (and AT&T makes some money off it), and the network doesn't get swamped with everybody doing it for free just because they can. The price can be lowered, or included for free, at a later date when the network is ready for it. In the meantime it only encourages people to continue to tether illegally, and/or not upgrade, instead of paying AT&T a higher monthly bill and buying a new phone. I don't see how AT&T loses by supporting it.

junovela

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
3.0 still gives MMS (provided AT&T sucks it up and allows it for free like every other stupid cell phone on their network) so I'll update that. But I doubt I'm going to be paying for that 3G if it's $599.